International Booker Prize

Ben Jackson

Do you think Gospodinov definitely are on radar of SA or not?

I think the Nobel Laureate in this year will be an author from Eastern Europe.

Having been nominated for the Nobel last year, he might be on the radar of Nobel Committee in the next few years.

I haven't read him yet, but reading the review of his works on New Yorker last year, he's writer with this auto-fictional approach with Borges as his major influence. His work (his first publication was around 1996/97), has blend of fragments, essay, and narrative, sometimes calling to mind the innovative approach of Anne Carson. The article mentioned Physics of Sorrow and Time Shelter as his best works/intro to his style.

From the interview I read few years ago, Peter Englund once said that the Academy always kept eyes on the papers for discovering candidates. I believe that with Man Booker International Prize going to Gospondinov, he'll definitely get attention from the Committee.

Last edited:

tiganeasca

I think the Nobel Laureate in this year will be an author from Eastern Europe.
Nope. I don't think so: don't forget Olga Tokarczuk just won recently and most people consider Poland part of "Eastern Europe." While predicting the award is a fool's errand (sorry), it would seem Latin America is long overdue, the last award to that region going to Vargas Llosa in 2010. Even Asia received an award more recently (Mo Yan in 2012). I would like to think that the Academy doesn't take geography (for the simple reason that I would love to believe that they actually choose the "most deserving" book instead of trying to balance geographical, gender, astrological, eye color or other considerations) into account but any time I try to think positively about the Academy, they more than justify my cynicism.

Benny Profane

Great, we don't have enough European laureates.

It's true. Although what you said above is a joke, we can notice a raw truth: unfortunatelly, European Literature is the pivot of World Literature yet.

I don't want to devirtuate this thread with I'll say below (of course we're talking about Booker Prize, not about Nobel Prize yet - in fact, we are close do do that) and I apologize in advance if the board thinks I'm devirtuating this thread.

About your quote, yes, we agree. I'm sorry if I sound eurocentric, but we ought to admite that, unfortunatelly, there are an ascedant (better, a boom) of Eastern European authors.
We have Drago Jančar, Andrey Kurkov, Yurii Andrukhovych, the late Dubravka Ugrešić, Péter Nádas, László Krasznahorkai, Jáchym Topol, Mikhail Shishkin, Victor Pelevin, Lyudmila Ulitskaya, Lyudmila Petrushevskaya, Aleksandar Hemon, Saša Stanišíć, Hamid Ismailov, Slavenka Drakulić, Magdalena Tulli... All of them "Nobelist".

But, Daniel, please notice a simple thing: the citzens from Eastern Europe aren't considered as "European persons" and suffer racism and xenophoby.
Albanian, Bozniak, Serbian, Ukranian and Russian people aren't part of Europe for many people of "developed" Europe.

We have the case of many authors from Spain who write in minority languages such as Català, Gallego and Euskara, but if SA laureates someone who writes in these languages, international broadcastings will say: another European writer?

We could transport ourselves to Asia and Africa to find new laureates (in my humble opinion, I think African authors MUST be laureates for uninterrupted 20 years with the aim of historical repair), but many of them wrote in majority languages such as Portuguese, English and French: if SA laureates someone, there will be complaints against these languages.
I will be happy if SA look for Asia to, principally, India, Pakistan, Syria, Palestine, Vietnam, Phillipines, etc and North African countries such as Libia, Morrocco, Egypt, but many of them lives in Europe as political refugees.

As we are from Latin America, we can constate that there was a boom in the past. In nowadays, we have some authors who were on that boom such as Alejandro Jodorowsky (94 years old), Homero Aridjis (you don't like his works), César Aira (he was a top contender in the past, but he spoiled his works being a prolific author), Adélia Prado (nobody cares for her works in my country) and many others, but, in my humble opinion, they lost their relevances.

Actually, we have an upraising generation from Latin America, but many of these authors are very young and wrote little pieces. This generation is very good and anyone can be laureate soon.

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

Nope. I don't think so: don't forget Olga Tokarczuk just won recently and most people consider Poland part of "Eastern Europe." While predicting the award is a fool's errand (sorry), it would seem Latin America is long overdue, the last award to that region going to Vargas Llosa in 2010. Even Asia received an award more recently (Mo Yan in 2012). I would like to think that the Academy doesn't take geography (for the simple reason that I would love to believe that they actually choose the "most deserving" book instead of trying to balance geographical, gender, astrological, eye color or other considerations) into account but any time I try to think positively about the Academy, they more than justify my cynicism.

I do agree for Latin America and also Carribean. It's been more than ten years since a Laureate came from these regions.

I really think the last time the Nobel Committee made a geographical gestures was between 90---94 when Paz, Gordimer, Walcott, Morrison and Oe were Laureates. The Commitee were looking at universal approach to the Prize (the Pragmatism of Gyllensten, which began in 1972 with Boll, was applied to candidates for those years already mentioned). I think every continent, apart from Australia, were rewarded in that decade.

Abhi

I agree that a Latin American laureate is long overdue. I'd also love to see a Northern African, Middle Eastern or Southeast/East Asian laureate since there are some fantastic writers out there.

I also really want Ibrahim Al-Koni to be considered. Such a good storyteller.

Bartleby

The 2024 international booker prize longlist:

• Not a River by Selva Almada, translated by Annie McDermott
  • Simpatía by Rodrigo Blanco Calderón, translated by Noel Hernández González and Daniel Hahn
  • Kairos by Jenny Erpenbeck, translated by Michael Hofmann
  • The Details by Ia Genberg, translated by Kira Josefsson
  • White Nights by Urszula Honek, translated by Kate Webster
  • Mater 2-10 by Hwang Sok-yong, translated by Sora Kim-Russell and Youngjae Josephine Bae
  • A Dictator Calls by Ismail Kadare, translated by John Hodgson
  • The Silver Bone by Andrey Kurkov, translated by Boris Dralyuk
  • What I’d Rather Not Think About by Jente Posthuma, translated by Sarah Timmer Harvey
  • Lost on Me by Veronica Raimo, translated by Leah Janeczko
  • The House on Via Gemito by Domenico Starnone, translated by Oonagh Stransky
  • Crooked Plow by Itamar Vieira Junior, translated by Johnny Lorenz
  • Undiscovered by Gabriela Wiener, translated by Julia Sanches

The shortlist will be announced 9 April. The winner, 21 May.

Phil D

I've read only one of these, Undiscovered (Huaco retrato in Spanish) by Gabriela Wiener. I remember it took me a while to understand how the different parts of the book worked together as a single text, but by the end it made sense. Big fan of Gabriela Wiener, hope she gets more readers.

Anyone else got any favourites from the list?

Leseratte

The 2024 international booker prize longlist:

• Not a River by Selva Almada, translated by Annie McDermott
  • Simpatía by Rodrigo Blanco Calderón, translated by Noel Hernández González and Daniel Hahn
  • Kairos by Jenny Erpenbeck, translated by Michael Hofmann
  • The Details by Ia Genberg, translated by Kira Josefsson
  • White Nights by Urszula Honek, translated by Kate Webster
  • Mater 2-10 by Hwang Sok-yong, translated by Sora Kim-Russell and Youngjae Josephine Bae
  • A Dictator Calls by Ismail Kadare, translated by John Hodgson
  • The Silver Bone by Andrey Kurkov, translated by Boris Dralyuk
  • What I’d Rather Not Think About by Jente Posthuma, translated by Sarah Timmer Harvey
  • Lost on Me by Veronica Raimo, translated by Leah Janeczko
  • The House on Via Gemito by Domenico Starnone, translated by Oonagh Stransky
  • Crooked Plow by Itamar Vieira Junior, translated by Johnny Lorenz
  • Undiscovered by Gabriela Wiener, translated by Julia Sanches

The shortlist will be announced 9 April. The winner, 21 May.
1-Crooked Plow by Itamar Vieira Junior,
2-Crooked Plow by Itamar Vieira Junior,
3-Jenny Erpenbeck- read Visitation by her.

Leseratte

Sigh!

Daniel del Real

1-Crooked Plow by Itamar Vieira Junior,
2-Crooked Plow by Itamar Vieira Junior,
3-Jenny Erpenbeck- read Visitation by her.
Count me in as a supporter for Itamar. It's the only title I've read from the list but I absolutely loved it.
Of course I've read other books by a few writers on the list: Hwang, Almada, Kadare, Blanco Calderón, Kurkov) and with the exception of Blanco Calderón I've enjoyed some of his books.

Ben Jackson

I've read only one of these, Undiscovered (Huaco retrato in Spanish) by Gabriela Wiener. I remember it took me a while to understand how the different parts of the book worked together as a single text, but by the end it made sense. Big fan of Gabriela Wiener, hope she gets more readers.

Anyone else got any favourites from the list?

I think I will have to reach 180 before I finish reading books on my TBR list.

Johnny

Haven’t read any of them, disappointing not to see Cancion by Eduardo Halfon on the list, just finished it and it’s great, will post a review when I get a chance.

Phil D

Haven’t read any of them, disappointing not to see Cancion by Eduardo Halfon on the list, just finished it and it’s great, will post a review when I get a chance.
I read that one last year too and really liked it. Been intending to read more by Halfon ever since but haven't gotten around to it.

Johnny

I just bought Mourning by Halfon, will be very interested to see if it’s as good. Cancion is on the Dublin International literary longlist ( shortlist to be announced in a few weeks) as is Crooked Plow.

Bartleby

Crooked Plow being longlisted is a great excuse for me to finally catch up with this already much (in)famous book. It won several prizes in Brazil, but also was caught up in some controversies; but mostly I was hesitant to start this one because at least three of my friends who've read it and in whose tastes I trust didn't like it at all, said it was one of those books that are actually badly written, but the "important" topics it deals with allow its fans to make you almost feel ashamed to say it's not good... curious to know what people in the English-speaking world are going to think of this one, and also what I'll make of it...

And I know it's early, but the Starnone seems to me like a frontrunner, at least for it being shortlisted. The reviews are good, it sounds like that kind of sweeping, emotional tale, with rich, colourful characters, a novel that should be easy to agree on when it comes to reaching a consensus of which book to award...

Crooked Plow being longlisted is a great excuse for me to finally catch up with this already much (in)famous book. It won several prizes in Brazil, but also was caught up in some controversies; but mostly I was hesitant to start this one because at least three of my friends who've read it and in whose tastes I trust didn't like it at all, said it was one of those books that are actually badly-written, but the "important" topics it deals with allow its fans to make you almost feel ashamed to say it's not good... curious to know what people in the English-speaking world are going to think of this one, and also what I'll make of it...

And I know it's early, but the Starnone seems to me like a frontrunner, at least for it being shortlisted. The reviews are good, it sounds like that kind of sweeping, emotional tale, with rich, colourful characters, a novel that should be easy to agree on when it comes to reaching a consensus of which book to award...
My friend that's exactly my case with this book. A friend of mine read it and absolutely hated it. This friend and I have both different tastes but she has a lot more knowledge of brazilian literature than I, so I am skeptical. I saw it a few days ago in a very privileged/visible part of a bookstore in my city btw... Anyway, I'm not looking forward to reading it anytime soon.

Johnny

Crooked Plow being longlisted is a great excuse for me to finally catch up with this already much (in)famous book. It won several prizes in Brazil, but also was caught up in some controversies; but mostly I was hesitant to start this one because at least three of my friends who've read it and in whose tastes I trust didn't like it at all, said it was one of those books that are actually badly-written, but the "important" topics it deals with allow its fans to make you almost feel ashamed to say it's not good... curious to know what people in the English-speaking world are going to think of this one, and also what I'll make of it...

Yes I agree the Starnone book jumped off the list for me as the most interesting, also. I’ve read him before and liked his writing a lot. Also Kadare is kind of fascinating, if he won I believe he’d be the first repeat winner( he was the very first winner when the prize was awarded for a body of work not an individual book).

Benny Profane

Despite I've found Torto Arado a bad work, I'm crossing my fingers for the Itamar Vieira Júnior's win.

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member

I'm about halfway through Crooked Plow, and my thoughts seem to align with those of your friends. I'm finding the storyline and topic intriguing, but the writing itself does not stand out in any way There's also a key plot point early on that seems a bit of a stretch. Perhaps my expectations were unfairly high, but I'm feeling a little disappointed so far. Hopefully, things will pick up in the second half of the book.