Recent content by childeroland

1. C

The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

Finally saw Across the Spiderverse. Yep, as great as everyone's been saying.
  2. C

Christmas Traditions over the World

Ususally watch Midnight Mass at St. Patricks Cathedral on TV. Presents Christmas morning, big dinner. Whatever big football or basketball game is on, honestly.
  3. C

Recently Begun Books

Arthur Conan Doyle -- The Return of Sherlock Holmes. Really fun to listen to Watson's voice.
  4. C

The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

Killers of the Flower Moon. The runtime flew by, which is amazing. Very sad with a lot of humor throughout (the bumbling, evil criminals are also deeply stupid). Maybe DiCaprio's best performance.
  5. C

Recently finished books?

Mark Helprin -- Paris in the Present Tense A pleasant old-fashioned narrative like all of Helprin's novels that I've read, sad in a way that isn't maudlin and provides uplift.
  6. C

My Nobel Report Card

I don't like Blindness either. Try The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, in which he prsents a very human Jesus and very funny Satan.
  7. C

Nabokov Against Dostoevsky

Nabokov liked Bleak House. I thought he liked the rest of him too.
  8. C

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Two authors you are rooting for the most to win: Murnane and Krasznahorkai Two authors you think are most likely to win: Fosse and Nadas. One author you think will win one day, just not this year: Krasznahorkai One author you don't want to win (and why): There's no one like that I think would...
  9. C

Search me. Still don't know what "ideal direction" really means.
  10. C

No. They miss too many good writers as it is.
  11. C

Ralph Ellison

He struggled for years with a second novel. Then the manuscript got burned in a house fire and he had to start a lot of it over again.
  12. C

Bloom would probably say Cohen and maybe Nell Freudenberger and William Giraldi. (I don't think he liked Franzen.)
  13. C

Cormac McCarthy (1933-2023)

When you see someone trending on Twitter and say to yourself, Oh no...
  14. C

Main character: The city

James Joyce -- Dublin Mark Helprin -- New York Andrei Bely -- Petersburg