Recent content by GLewis

1. G

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

Damion Searls, Jon Fosse's English translator, obviously reads this spec forum. This from an Asymptote interview just posted: DS: I don’t know if you saw this, but on one of the message boards that often speculates about the Nobel Prize, they basically gathered together the entire top fifty...
  2. G

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

I like how he's going to reply to all his emails. He'll be there awhile!
  3. G

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Septology is wonderful. I wasn't sure if I liked it to begin, but found it sticking in my head and coming back at different times away from the text.
  4. G

Of the 84 I've read, I've read at least a complete volume by each (which, admittedly, may be anything from 50 pages or so and up). Nitpicky details here: http://familjen-persson.se/read/nobel.pl Great list! Nothing by Yeats yet? You are in for a treat.
  5. G

I Olga Tokarczuk signed The Lost Soul "with love through time" for my daughter's first birthday acouple of years ago. J M Coetzee is probably my favourite living writer, and he signed a first printing of Disgrace earlier this year at Adelaide Writers Week. 84 is great, I have read a little of...
  6. G

Wow, yes, the Modiano seems quite scarce. I picked up a first of Le Clezio's The Interrogation a few years ago for a good price. I got a couple of signed Fosse bookplates this year too. I was blown away by Septology. What do you think is currently underpriced and in future quite collectible? I...
  7. G

I use Bookfinder which can throw up a few more options. There's also some German antiquariat book stores that aren't scooped up by the search engines. It's fun searching. I notice within minutes of the prize announcement that all of the winners' cheap first editions are gone, never to return at...
  8. G

Great idea, and a big saving if you snag it. I collect signatures for the Literature Nobel and do something similar, just picked up Nadas for about $30.
  9. G

Nobel Prize in Literature 2022 Speculation

Love Randolph Stow, and think he's very underappreciated. Merry-Go-Round is wonderful. I collect signatures too, and his is very uncommon. I have a signed Tourmaline.
  10. G

If song is literature, then no worries. I think Dylan is brilliant. His words were intended for melody. Poetically though, his lyrics often don't scan, and I remember thinking Tarantula pretty unachieved as poetry.
  11. G

Yes, I agree. Malouf has written poetry more recently which is very good, but the Neustadt hasn't been too predictive for the Nobel recently. I like Murnane too, have read all his work, personally he's pretty approachable as well.
  12. G

There are plenty of quality writers, but in terms of the Nobel, again, probably not quite there. Kate Grenville, Helen Garner, Alexis Wright.
  13. G

We have some good writers - David Malouf, Tim Winton, Richard Flanagan - but none have the profile I don't think. Les Murray was the best hope for a long time. Carey has gone away from it a bit in his recent books, and Murnane is still a niche choice.
  14. G

Hi from Australia to all. Thanks for having me on here. Looking forward to your thoughts on this year's prize.