Recent content by Harry Haller

1. Harry Haller

What do you do?

Babelcube is the name. https://www.babelcube.com/ I've since completed six books for one author, but it seems I still haven't earned anything in royalties from that. Pretty depressing.
  2. Harry Haller

What do you do?

If anyone cares, I translate and edit translations to earn my bread. I've recently discovered a site that makes it easy to connect with authors to do literary translations, so I've also started on that. It has yet to pay (it will be pure royalties), but I look at it as a beginning and a bit of...
  3. Harry Haller

Translations of Russian Literature

The best thing to do is learn Russian! :p But slightly more seriously, I have Dostoevsky translations by Sidney Monas (Crime and Punishment) and Constance Garnett (The Brothers Karamazov), and besides finding these to be great reads, I've heard praise for Constance Garnett elsewhere...
  4. Harry Haller

George Orwell: Nineteen Eighty-Four

There certainly is something to be said about state control over language as an attempt to control the public and the way they think. Governments to this day sometimes try to outlaw certain languages or enshrine certain languages in a bid to elevate one ethnic group over others.
  5. Harry Haller

How come there are so many members but nobody posts?

Well, I'm just thinking that people disrespect you and derail your threads because of how people naturally treat each other online. They say and do mean things that they wouldn't do and don't do in person. It's an entirely different world online, and it's often a very negative one. So, bottom...
  6. Harry Haller

How come there are so many members but nobody posts?

Social media is largely negative, it seems to me. It has brought out the worst in so many people. Feelings like empathy and compassion seem to go out the window when people are communicating via text and feel they are part of an online group, which becomes mob-like. We didn't evolve to...
  7. Harry Haller

Cormac McCarthy: No Country for Old Men

I read through this awesome novel not too long ago now. It employs an interesting form of English, evidently meant to convey the spoken word through literary expression, if that makes sense. Punctuation is often ignored and the text is written to flow the way one would speak, especially one from...
  8. Harry Haller

German Literature

So far, of the Germans, pretty much just Hermann Hesse and Michael Ende. Ende, for those who may not know, wrote the original novel of the Neverending Story - die unendliche Geschichte. He also wrote Momo, another fascinating little book that can easily appeal to an older audience despite being...
  9. Harry Haller

Taking on literary translation?

First, let me assure that I'm not at this forum merely to ask this question! I came across this section while checking the place out prior to registering and simply thought I would ask. I am already a translator by trade, specifically working with German as my secondary (source) language. I...