Search results

1. C

The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

Finally saw Across the Spiderverse. Yep, as great as everyone's been saying.
  2. C

Christmas Traditions over the World

Ususally watch Midnight Mass at St. Patricks Cathedral on TV. Presents Christmas morning, big dinner. Whatever big football or basketball game is on, honestly.
  3. C

Recently Begun Books

Arthur Conan Doyle -- The Return of Sherlock Holmes. Really fun to listen to Watson's voice.
  4. C

Killers of the Flower Moon. The runtime flew by, which is amazing. Very sad with a lot of humor throughout (the bumbling, evil criminals are also deeply stupid). Maybe DiCaprio's best performance.
  5. C

Recently finished books?

Mark Helprin -- Paris in the Present Tense A pleasant old-fashioned narrative like all of Helprin's novels that I've read, sad in a way that isn't maudlin and provides uplift.
  6. C

My Nobel Report Card

I don't like Blindness either. Try The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, in which he prsents a very human Jesus and very funny Satan.
  7. C

Nabokov Against Dostoevsky

Nabokov liked Bleak House. I thought he liked the rest of him too.
  8. C

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Two authors you are rooting for the most to win: Murnane and Krasznahorkai Two authors you think are most likely to win: Fosse and Nadas. One author you think will win one day, just not this year: Krasznahorkai One author you don't want to win (and why): There's no one like that I think would...
  9. C

Search me. Still don't know what "ideal direction" really means.
  10. C

No. They miss too many good writers as it is.
  11. C

Ralph Ellison

He struggled for years with a second novel. Then the manuscript got burned in a house fire and he had to start a lot of it over again.
  12. C

Bloom would probably say Cohen and maybe Nell Freudenberger and William Giraldi. (I don't think he liked Franzen.)
  13. C

Cormac McCarthy (1933-2023)

When you see someone trending on Twitter and say to yourself, Oh no...
  14. C

Main character: The city

James Joyce -- Dublin Mark Helprin -- New York Andrei Bely -- Petersburg
  15. C

Children's classics recommendations?

Michael Ende, The Neverending Story LM Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables Hans Christian Andersen, Fairy Tales Told for Children Brothers Grimm, Children and Household Tales Lewis Carroll, The Alice books, The Hunting of the Snark Charles Perrault, Stories or Tales from Past Times
  16. C

Top 5 Favorite Nobel Prize Winners?

Faulkner Beckett Eliot Simon Yeats
  17. C

Enjoyed the heck out of Buster Keaton's The General. Great action comedy, a genre I usually avoid.
  18. C

Nobel for Literature Quiz

Gide, Patrick White, Lagerloff, no idea on the fourth
  19. C

AI and the disintegrating imagination

I wouldn't worry until it starts calling you Dave and singing Daisy Bell at you.