Search results

1. nagisa

Maryse Condé (1934-2024)

Nominate Haruki Murakami ? I Tituba and Segu are fantastic. I remember good rumblings in the French press about The Gospel According to the New World, and had it noted it on my to-read list. Very sad ☹️
  2. nagisa

Recently Begun Books

There is the cultural and chronological distance, sure — but also a shocking contemporaneity. It's a kind of millenium-old blog of a Kardashian hanger-on! A book I keep near my pillow, as prescribed.
  3. nagisa

Recently finished books?

I remember picking over books in the big fleamarket north of Paris a decade and a half ago (!!), and being told by the bookseller, with that characteristic French/Parisian superciliousness, that Gracq's Le Rivage des Syrtes (translated in English as The Opposing Shore for some reason) was "one...
  4. nagisa

WLF Virtual Meet-up

Many thanks to Tiga and Bartleby for organising and hosting, and it really was nice to share an IRL moment (well, more IRL than forum posting). I wish it could be more IRL and I could share the tea I was fussing around with; perhaps some day.
  5. nagisa

WLF Virtual Meet-up

Are these the times? Will we get a link?
  6. nagisa

WLF Virtual Meet-up

I'll try as well
  7. nagisa

Peter Handke

This Friday I had the occasion to see a recent play called "The Handke Project: Or, Justice for Peter’s Stupidities". I had stumbled on it a couple of years back combing over the theatrical offer here in Florence; it seems it is some how connected to Teatro della Pergola, though I saw it it in...
  8. nagisa

Recently finished books?

Flipping through some Morrison translations in French brings to mind the following simile: like looking down at your prosthetic leg. It might get you where you need to go — but it is not innervated.
  9. nagisa

Louise Glück (1943-2023)

Prompted me to search her essay Education of a poet. Characteristically, each sentence a knife. https://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/TPE-Seminar-2.pdf
  10. nagisa

David Markson

I quite like Markson. Wittgenstein's Mistress was pure Beckettian-Bernhardian fun for me, and Reader's Block a fascinating obsessive compiling of notes on writers and artists, death failure & disease, and renewed shredding of the reader/writer contrivance of fiction. I have the other three of...
  11. nagisa

Non-Writer Obituaries

Ahahahahaha!!! Brilliant
  12. nagisa

Non-Writer Obituaries

Henry Kissinger. A communist. I wish he were hooked up to a dynamo, because the spinning in his grave would power entire continents.
  13. nagisa

Non-Writer Obituaries

No — these are practitioner-scholars. A different beast.
  14. nagisa

Non-Writer Obituaries

Anyway, as my trending hashtag on twitter was: REST IN PISS BOZO And thus the IR shitpost meme is complete:
  15. nagisa

Non-Writer Obituaries

Admittedly I've not read him, but around him — I'm rather into so-called "realism" in IR actually, but more as a problematic object containing an irritating, inescapable truth: humankind's potential inhumanity towards itself... And the literature I'm more familiar with is rather critical on big...
  16. nagisa

Non-Writer Obituaries

But why would you say he had a brilliant mind? This seems more like a received wisdom than something supported by facts.
  17. nagisa

Non-Writer Obituaries

Why?
  18. nagisa

Recently finished books?

I'm glad that Le Clézio is having a moment of appreciation here. And especially for Étoile errante, given the current events... As @dc007777 very aptly puts it, the empathy of Le Clézio at his best is astonishing. Le Clézio subjugated me when I first read him (Onitsha). I've read Laxness for...
  19. nagisa

Neustadt International Prize for Literature

Yay! Another Francophone to enjoy unmediated by translation ? She's been on my radar for a while, happy to discover her
  20. nagisa

WLF Prize 2024 - Dương Thu Hương

I'm very glad she's on the shortlist, and I'm really looking forward to what people will think of her works. Reposting from the general thread, if useful: I would go for Paradise of the Blind, or if you're up to the doorstopper challenge, The Zenith. (Novel Without a Name is also highly...