Recently finished books?

alik-vit

Reader
?? Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye ⭐⭐⭐⭐
This book is extraordinary in its success at evoking a time and place. The premise is simple: a poor young black girl grows up with a simple wish: to have blue eyes so she will be as beautiful and beloved as all the blond, blue-eyed children. The book’s enormous power is due, I think, largely to Morrison’s mastery of the English language. So much so that I have trouble imagining how this work could possibly be translated. It seems to me to be so inextricably intertwined with a place and time and with a vernacular use of English that it seems untranslatable. (I think, as an aside, that that is a great topic for another thread: how much works can be so much a part of the place and language and time as to be inaccessible to readers who read the work in a different place and a different time and a different language. Examples that pop to mind: Bely’s Petersburg or Goethe’s Faust, though of course the list is endless.) This is Morrison’s first book and it impressed me enormously. In the words of a goodread’s reviewer, it is a “haunting, poignant and unforgettable elegy to the horrors that American slavery spawned.” Although that reviewer was describing Morrison’s Beloved (not this book), I think the same observation holds true. This is a remarkable work: remarkable for its writing and for its clear-eyed, heartbreaking nostalgia for certain aspects of a world that is both gone and irretrievably still with us.

?? Theodor Storm, Carsten the Trustee and other stories ⭐⭐⭐+
This is another in a series of books collecting novellas by Storm, an important 19th-century German realist. Storm wrote almost exclusively about life in the small rural villages of far northwestern Germany, along the North Sea. His stories are often sad (or at least, as Leseratte noted, melancholy) and can be hauntingly nostalgic. Storm wrote about the lives and beliefs of these people and his writing is remarkable for its psychological insight. His novellas address topics like class tension, social problems, and religious bigotry, but regardless of ostensible subject, most of his work usually dealt with man’s isolation and his struggle with his fate. Storm really only wrote one novel and his mastery of the novella form was such that they are frequently considered among the best in German literature. His writing—at least in the translations of Denis Jackson—is captivating. This collection included the title novella plus “The Last Farmstead” (both of which concern reversals of fortune for farming and burgher families in the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars), “The Swallows of St George's” (a love story) and—the only unsuccessful one in the book for me, “By the Fireside,” a somewhat disjointed series of ghost stories.

?? Charles Dickens, Little Dorrit ⭐⭐⭐+
As part of my rest-of-my-life project, I tackled another large Dickens novel to start the year. There’s no getting around it: the fact that Mr. Dickens was paid by the installment clearly meant that many of his books are, um, longer than they need to be. Enjoyable? Yes. Amazingly plotted? Yes. Exceptional characters? Yes. Moving? Yes. But increasingly I am coming to the conclusion that they’re too damn long. Of course, Dickens wouldn’t be Dickens otherwise. Still.
Which leaves us with this tale of rags to riches to rags, the infamous Marshalsea Prison for debtors (where Dickens’ father spent time), and the absolutely lovable, self-effacing, gentle, too-good-to-be-true (or believable) Little Dorrit. The characters, as always, are much of the attraction; the plot threatens at a few points to be nearly incomprehensible (but never crosses that line); the tying-up of loose ends at the end of the book requires some rather silly inventions but it is, after all, Dickens, and so the novel succeeds despite all of this. If it’s not quite at the level of Bleak House or David Copperfield, it is also not terribly far from those masterpieces either. It took me quite some time to decide which novel to read this year and I read widely to help me decide. Definitely recommended.

?? Lars Gustafsson, Stories of Happy People ⭐⭐+
I read a volume of Gustafsson’s stories a number of years ago and thought it was time to revisit him. It only took a few stories to remind me of my reaction to that collection. Odd. Definitely odd. Talented writer, interesting ideas, but definitely odd. Gustafsson, who died in 2016, earned a Ph.D. in theoretical philosophy (whatever that is) and, I do not intend it as a compliment to say that some of his stories read as if they were written by an academic. According to the entry in Wikipedia, Gustafsson once wrote: “sometimes I cannot see any sharp boundary between [my literary work] and [my philosophical work]. I tend to regard myself as a philosopher who has turned literature into one of his tools." Yup. That's completely accurate, I think. An academic with a degree in philosophy. There’s a little too much academic-ness about some of the stories; it often shows in the writing itself and it sometimes shows in the way he plays with ideas. In both cases, it made the stories less enjoyable for me. Still, there were some stories I enjoyed. But even so, I have trouble recommending this slim (150 pages) collection. There are stories written from the point of view of someone who is insane, of someone who has an intellectual disability, and of someone who is senile. Happy people? I guess Mr. Gustafsson and I would probably have trouble coming together on a definition of happy.
Great to read your positive comments on Toni Morrison. IMHO, this novel, Beloved and Jazz (especially Jazz) are truly great novels!

Leseratte

?? Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye ⭐⭐⭐⭐
This book is extraordinary in its success at evoking a time and place. The premise is simple: a poor young black girl grows up with a simple wish: to have blue eyes so she will be as beautiful and beloved as all the blond, blue-eyed children. The book’s enormous power is due, I think, largely to Morrison’s mastery of the English language. So much so that I have trouble imagining how this work could possibly be translated. It seems to me to be so inextricably intertwined with a place and time and with a vernacular use of English that it seems untranslatable. (I think, as an aside, that that is a great topic for another thread: how much works can be so much a part of the place and language and time as to be inaccessible to readers who read the work in a different place and a different time and a different language. Examples that pop to mind: Bely’s Petersburg or Goethe’s Faust, though of course the list is endless.) This is Morrison’s first book and it impressed me enormously. In the words of a goodread’s reviewer, it is a “haunting, poignant and unforgettable elegy to the horrors that American slavery spawned.” Although that reviewer was describing Morrison’s Beloved (not this book), I think the same observation holds true. This is a remarkable work: remarkable for its writing and for its clear-eyed, heartbreaking nostalgia for certain aspects of a world that is both gone and irretrievably still with us.

?? Theodor Storm, Carsten the Trustee and other stories ⭐⭐⭐+
This is another in a series of books collecting novellas by Storm, an important 19th-century German realist. Storm wrote almost exclusively about life in the small rural villages of far northwestern Germany, along the North Sea. His stories are often sad (or at least, as Leseratte noted, melancholy) and can be hauntingly nostalgic. Storm wrote about the lives and beliefs of these people and his writing is remarkable for its psychological insight. His novellas address topics like class tension, social problems, and religious bigotry, but regardless of ostensible subject, most of his work usually dealt with man’s isolation and his struggle with his fate. Storm really only wrote one novel and his mastery of the novella form was such that they are frequently considered among the best in German literature. His writing—at least in the translations of Denis Jackson—is captivating. This collection included the title novella plus “The Last Farmstead” (both of which concern reversals of fortune for farming and burgher families in the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars), “The Swallows of St George's” (a love story) and—the only unsuccessful one in the book for me, “By the Fireside,” a somewhat disjointed series of ghost stories.

?? Charles Dickens, Little Dorrit ⭐⭐⭐+
As part of my rest-of-my-life project, I tackled another large Dickens novel to start the year. There’s no getting around it: the fact that Mr. Dickens was paid by the installment clearly meant that many of his books are, um, longer than they need to be. Enjoyable? Yes. Amazingly plotted? Yes. Exceptional characters? Yes. Moving? Yes. But increasingly I am coming to the conclusion that they’re too damn long. Of course, Dickens wouldn’t be Dickens otherwise. Still.
Which leaves us with this tale of rags to riches to rags, the infamous Marshalsea Prison for debtors (where Dickens’ father spent time), and the absolutely lovable, self-effacing, gentle, too-good-to-be-true (or believable) Little Dorrit. The characters, as always, are much of the attraction; the plot threatens at a few points to be nearly incomprehensible (but never crosses that line); the tying-up of loose ends at the end of the book requires some rather silly inventions but it is, after all, Dickens, and so the novel succeeds despite all of this. If it’s not quite at the level of Bleak House or David Copperfield, it is also not terribly far from those masterpieces either. It took me quite some time to decide which novel to read this year and I read widely to help me decide. Definitely recommended.

?? Lars Gustafsson, Stories of Happy People ⭐⭐+
I read a volume of Gustafsson’s stories a number of years ago and thought it was time to revisit him. It only took a few stories to remind me of my reaction to that collection. Odd. Definitely odd. Talented writer, interesting ideas, but definitely odd. Gustafsson, who died in 2016, earned a Ph.D. in theoretical philosophy (whatever that is) and, I do not intend it as a compliment to say that some of his stories read as if they were written by an academic. According to the entry in Wikipedia, Gustafsson once wrote: “sometimes I cannot see any sharp boundary between [my literary work] and [my philosophical work]. I tend to regard myself as a philosopher who has turned literature into one of his tools." Yup. That's completely accurate, I think. An academic with a degree in philosophy. There’s a little too much academic-ness about some of the stories; it often shows in the writing itself and it sometimes shows in the way he plays with ideas. In both cases, it made the stories less enjoyable for me. Still, there were some stories I enjoyed. But even so, I have trouble recommending this slim (150 pages) collection. There are stories written from the point of view of someone who is insane, of someone who has an intellectual disability, and of someone who is senile. Happy people? I guess Mr. Gustafsson and I would probably have trouble coming together on a definition of happy.
I was also impressed by this Morrison novel and it´s implacable depiction of reality against aspirations. Each word is a knife.
As to Little Dorrit, an interesting character I remember is the "midiatic" financier that does away with the rich people´s money. And Dicken´s plays a little joke on his usually monolingual readers by calling him Merdle. At the time I read the book, we hat a big scandal with a Brazilian moneylender and it was very similar.
According to what I read somewhere, Victorian authors were encouraged and even requested to produce doorstoppers, when in book format. Slimmer volumes were often published together. The reader wanted voluminous reading material.

tiganeasca

Just out of curiosity, Dave, what are your current top 5 Charles Dickens books? ?
Good question. Off the top of my head, and in order ("best" on top--though best in this case means "greatest overall achievement," not necessarily my personal favorite)

1. Bleak House
2. Great Expectations
3. David Copperfield
4. Little Dorrit

In order of personal preference:

1. David Copperfield
2. Bleak House
3. Great Expectations
4. Little Dorrit

I will stop there. I know The Pickwick Papers is generally regarded as one of his greatest; although I enjoyed it, it simply didn't work as well for me and didn't seem as "great" overall. Likewise Oliver Twist. I don't think A Tale of Two Cities belongs in consideration. There's too many great ones I have not yet read: Nicholas Nickleby, Our Mutual Friend, Hard Times, The Old Curiosity Shop. Finally, although I look forward to them, I don't expect (but will be happy to be wrong) to find that Dombey & Son, Martin Chuzzlewit, or Barnaby Rudge will impress me similarly. Oh, or Sketches by Boz.

Your turn.

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
Your turn.
Haha.

In terms of personal preference I would probably put A Christmas Carol first.
In terms of which novel I consider his overall "best," I agree with your choice of Bleak House.
In terms of which novel I consider Dickens to be at his most "iconic," I will pick David Copperfield.
Finally, Great Expectations deserves an honorable mention, being a distillation of everything that makes Dickens, "Dickens".
Miss Havisham also happens to be my favorite Dickens character of all time.

Leseratte

The first Dickens book I read was A Tale of Two Cities in a terrible comics adaption. It made me learn to read English to be able to read more of his books and it remains my personal favorite, although other books are more typical.

I like the bleak atmosphere of Bleak House, but I don´t like Esther Summerson, specially not as narrator. She is a very pale sort of Jane Eyre and her boyfriend is a still more pale sort of someone.
But I love Mrs. Havisham, the character, who stops the clock of time.

Hamishe22

Voices of Modern Greece: Selected Poems by C. P. Cavafy, Angelos Sikelianos, George Seferis, Odysseus Elytis, Nikos Gatsos, translated by Edmund Keeley and Philip Sherrard

I picked up this book looking for the works of Odysseus Elytis, as part of my quest to read at least one work from every Nobel laureate. I couldn't get my hand on any other book by Elytis, only this selection of modern Greek poetry. Realizing that I can kill two birds with one stone, since George Seferis is another Nobel laureate, I went for this one.

Reading poetry in translation always carries a huge risk of missing crucial elements. Which is why I'm apprehensive to pass judgment on these poets, especially those whom I didn't like, because it's probable that I would have liked them if I could read them in the original Greek. Generally, I was a bit taken aback at how similar to a superficial stereotype of Greek literature these poems felt, filled with allusions to Greek mythology and olives and the Mediterranean and such.

Anyway, I wasn't a huge fan of C. P. Cavafy, Angelos Sikelianos, and Nikos Gastos, feeling like their poems were too simple and filled with unsurprising imagery and straightforward statements. Again, I recognize that I might have a very different opinion if I could read them in original Greek. I thought Odysseus Elytis was OK but not great, with brilliant lines but overall the same.

I had a much more different reaction to George Seferis, who has become one of my favorite posts of all time. Chilling, atmospheric, and incredibly evocative poems that are filled with powerful innovative imagery and descriptions, with poems that are at times apocalyptic and at times tender. I read each of his poems multiple times and I was moved by each.

dc007777

Body- Harry Crews

Body takes place in the world of competitive female body building. There are lots of grotesque characters, lots of violence, lots of humor, lots of toxicity. I have mixed feelings on the book and I'm not sure it all comes together for me. Shereel Dupont is essentially the creation of her trainer, Russle and I think Crews sets out to follow her own personal liberation, first from her crazy family then from Russle but I don't think Crews gets there successfully. There's a lot of Southern grotesques in this book, which I didn't mind. The characters are intesresting. Another tough pill to swallow is the racism. The characters are racist and toss around the n-word frequently. I don't mind that because it feels real to how people like that would actually talk. The issue I take is Crews handling of the black characters, especially the black women. There are 5 black sisters in the book. They are over-sexualized (especially one of the characters named Vanella, who Crews emphazises is the most entincing because she has the lightest skin tone), they use lots of slang ( which reads like a white person who doesn't have an ear for AAVE wrote it) and unlike the white grotesques don't ever transcend caricture into flesh and blood characters. Crews knows poor whites, but I don't think he understands poor blacks. I also feel like Shereel (the most interesting character by far) is sidelined by all the other less interesting characters. Not bad but just missing something.

Bartleby

What do you think about the NDiaye?
This was the first time I read her, so I cannot compare to anything else she's written, but I believe it to be a good entry point to her work, as it is quite short (200 pages, or so my kindle said), and not overly complicated.

It has mainly two plot points that parallel each other; they are both focused on this woman lawyer, whose first name we do not know, and is only referred to as Me (or Maître) Susane: one follows her dealings with a client whose wife has murdered her children, and the protagonist thinks this husband is an important (and/or - much is uncertain here - traumatic) figure of her past; the other is about Me Susane trying to help a poor woman (and her family) from Mauritius get to permanently stay in France.

So, first of all, there's this suspense throughout the whole novel of whether or not that man (or anyone else) really played a part in the protagonist's life, an open wound, a doubt, which I should say, lest anyone thinks this is a regular psychological thriller, remains a mystery; and then there's all the scrutiny of the main character's psychology trying to deal with her memories, but also this class struggle between her and the Mauritius woman, which is quite fascinating, as we are privy to her most secrets thoughts, and they reveal all the hidden prejudice that she tries to conceal, even to herself, beneath layers of goodwill, pride, anger, all contradictions one can think in a full human being, without ever being too obvious, simplistic, or manichaeistic... It's quite interesting NDiaye's use of adjectives here, usually avoided by writers fearing it would lessen the text, but in Vengeance the effect is of presenting a subjective truth - even though most of it is narrated in the third person, with short 1st person passages revealing the main character's thoughts, everything is from Me Susane's perspective.

The focus here, then, are the characters, their relation to each other, the way each voice is presented (in two or so given passages, Me Susane goes on to interview the murderous mother, and we read the latter's response in a long, but always compelling, stream-of-consciousness monologue with clauses starting with the conjunction "but").

As mentioned above, the result is a fluid text, complex in its psychology, but never dull, nor confusing, or particularly too difficult. The ending is perhaps a little slight, and not as strong as it could have been, but it nevertheless gets its point across (again, if one doesn't expect answers, but focuses on the journey, satisfaction is guaranteed).

So, yes, an immensely stimulating novel, and a highly recommended read! I definitely want to check the rest of her stuff out!

nagisa

Spiky member
...I have trouble imagining how this work could possibly be translated. It seems to me to be so inextricably intertwined with a place and time and with a vernacular use of English that it seems untranslatable. (I think, as an aside, that that is a great topic for another thread: how much works can be so much a part of the place and language and time as to be inaccessible to readers who read the work in a different place and a different time and a different language. Examples that pop to mind: Bely’s Petersburg or Goethe’s Faust, though of course the list is endless.)
Flipping through some Morrison translations in French brings to mind the following simile: like looking down at your prosthetic leg. It might get you where you need to go — but it is not innervated.

alik-vit

Reader
Flipping through some Morrison translations in French brings to mind the following simile: like looking down at your prosthetic leg. It might get you where you need to go — but it is not innervated.
Oh, no! "Jazz" is pure vibrating nerv in sync with most beautiful language.

The Common Reader

?? Ghassan Zaqtan - Strangers in Light Coat : The second volume of poetry that I am reading by him. While this also has reflections of the ongoing issues with Israel and the constant war, this is more subdued and full of loss, grievance and pathos, in voice and emotions. The longing, love, separation also are recurring themes. They are really good.

?? Martin Wikramashighe - The Village : First book of his Uprooted Trilogy. Written just before the Sri Lanka's Independence, this book ( the trilogy) is considered one of the Sinhalese Classics. The fall of the Village Feudal Family during the 1940s, is the central theme, extending to the changes in the Community towards modernity, urbanism and hierarchical upturn in the social order. Translation has its own challenges, but otherwise, it gave a glimpse of the Lankan social systems in the first half of the 20th century.

?? Yannis Ristos - Selected Poems : Collection of his short poems. Few of them are abstract, meditative in nature. Some reflections to the mythical, political and personal attributes. Somehow, I felt his poems are at a higher intellectual plane, than many others I've read.

?? Ivan Mandy - Postcard from London : Short stories from the Hungarian master. Not many of his works are available in English. Stories are largely around his 'alter-ego' ( middle aged, wannabe writer with limited success) and his relation with his father, mother, step mother and other family members. Written in two phases of his life, the initial stories are from the early 70s and the later part was from the late 80s to early 90s ( he passed away in 1995) , told in a series of memories, dreams and experiences. Sensitive, moving at times but the repetitiveness of the theme makes it tedious towards the end.

?? Imayam ( V Annamalai) - Vazhga Vazhga and other stories : New voice from the Tamil Literature, now getting the attention of the larger audience in India through translations. I met him during the recent Bangalore International Festival, where he spoke about his writing and characters. This book, consists of a novella ( Vazhga Vazhga ) and a few stories, somehow, didn't live up to the hype it created. I have another book of his, but I might come back to it in a couple of months.

?? Henryk Sienkiewics - Quo Vadis : Nero, burning of Rome, beginning of the fall of the Roman empire, persecution of the early Christians, Apostles Peter and Paul, and a love affair between a Roman Aristorat to a Christian Lygian princess. Petronius , of the Satyrcon fame, as the central character, was really lively. Classic story telling, in exposition of the plots, the deliberations around key actions, the sense of depth and gravity to the people and acts, the intelligent mixing of religion into the story. I really liked this book.
Thank you for all of these reviews! Particularly interested in hearing your reaction to Sienkiewicz, I was considering suggesting Quo Vadis to my reading group. Susan Sontag wrote a fascinating novel about an episode in his early career, In America, that you might enjoy.

Phil D

?? Patrick Modiano - La Danseuse ('The Dancer') (+)

Modiano's most recent novel (or novella, really), published in 2023. A nameless narrator recalls a period of his life during which he had a some sort of relationship (it's never specified what kind) with a dancer who comes from – and remains associated with – a shady social milieu in an outer suburb of Paris. Why this period of his life is of especial interest is never clear, and indeed the text is vague on virtually every point, so that even though the language is clear, the possible existence of a story being told is not. In spite of some frustration, the clean, elegant style of the prose was still enjoyable.

?? Caroline Blackwood - Great Granny Webster (+)

A black comedy about a nasty old lady and her dysfunctional, deranged family. The unnamed narrator mostly listens, in a way reminiscent of Faye in Rachel Cusk’s Outline trilogy. The titular, matriarchal character is selfish, stiff, stoic, and inflicts her ideas of decorum on the rest of the family. Her granddaughter Lavinia is an eccentric socialite, profligate and promiscuous and suicidal. Her daughter (also unnamed, referred to as the grandmother of he narrator) is a demented fairy-chaser doomed to isolation in a crumbling castle in Northern Ireland with her well-meaning but hapless husband. No plot, just anecdotes and description of these characters from a few different interlocutors who take over narration of most of the novel. Enjoyably stylish and witty, and the farce is not overdone.

Hamishe22

The Mustache by Emmanuel Carrère

There are many novels that try to recreate the process of someone going insane. Never having experienced that, I don't know which one is the most realistic, but I know which one is the most horrifying and makes me experience it the least for myself, and it is this novel. The story of a man who shaves his mustache but then realizes that no one actually remembers him ever having a mustache. Don't let the deceptively innocuous premise fool you, this is one of the most disturbing and harrowing novels ever written and it is incredibly hard to read. The very process of reading through the pages and struggling with the question of whether the unnamed protagonist is actually insane or being gaslit is hard enough but then it culminates in the most horrific toe-curlingly visceral violent scene that I have ever read in my life. A very very very dark experience. Reader discretion is highly advised.

However if these warnings are not deterrent for you and you like a good disturbing read, this novel is one of the best of its kind and I strongly recommend it. It reminded me a bit of Kafka, with the difference that Kafka was never this graphic and this novel is purely psychological while Kafka was more obsessed with the social aspects of absurdist horror.