About Animals

Leseratte

As there are many animal lovers on this forum, I am opening this page for animal stories, for animals that don´t usually fit the pet category.
To start with, in homage to everyone over fifty, meet Jonathan, the oldest tortoise of the world:

tiganeasca

And here is a picture I don't think I will ever--ever--forget: Ndakasi, a mountain gorilla in Democratic Republic of Congo, with the caretaker who had helped care for her "ever since rangers found her clinging to the body of her dead mother in 2007, when she was just two months old."

211006141751-ndakasi-virunga-national-park-exlarge-169.jpg

tiganeasca

And, now that you've shed a tear or two, just a beautiful photograph I happened to see advertising a book of pictures. Taken in Sahara Camp in northern Kenya.

nwxmcxn0jfp31.png

I should also note that I discovered it in a book, Human Nature: Planet Earth in Our Time (Chronicle Books)

Leseratte

I don´t have words to describe the look on the gorilla's face. To say the look is human would be distorting it.

Leseratte

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Morbid Swither

Alright!!! Thank you @Leseratte for starting this thread… I want to first of all share this link to Writers Without Borders: https://www.wordswithoutborders.org/. The current issues is totally dedicated to international writing featuring the Animal Kingdom. And secondly, please feel free to share any recommendations you have for top notch literary work with animal characters, as I really could use a book like right now!

Leseratte

Oh, yes….
@Morbid Swither, I suppose you have also read The Life and Opinions of the Tomcat Murr together with a fragmentary Biography of Kapellmeister Johannes Kreisler on Random Sheets of Waste Paper by ETA Hoffmann and possibly also
https://onlinereadfreenovel.com/walter-moers/42552-the_alchemasters_apprentice_a_novel.html or rather the original story, Mirror, the Kitten, one tale of the collection People from Seldwyla by Gottfried Keller.
I'm amazed how few stories of animals for adults I remember. But maybe it might be an good idea to make a thematic list.

Morbid Swither

@Morbid Swither, I suppose you have also read The Life and Opinions of the Tomcat Murr together with a fragmentary Biography of Kapellmeister Johannes Kreisler on Random Sheets of Waste Paper by ETA Hoffmann and possibly also
https://onlinereadfreenovel.com/walter-moers/42552-the_alchemasters_apprentice_a_novel.html or rather the original story, Mirror, the Kitten, one tale of the collection People from Seldwyla by Gottfried Keller.
I'm amazed how few stories of animals for adults I remember. But maybe it might be an good idea to make a thematic list.
I have not read ANY of these! Thanks for giving it some thought, I will add them to the TBR.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Space-Time for Springers by Fritz Leiber is also a very good cat short story. Kipling's The Maltese Cat is a classic.

Said the Maltese Cat: ‘I’ve fallen over every square yard of the Malta ground, and I ought to know.’ He quivered his little flea-bitten withers just to show how satisfied he felt; but his heart was not so light. Ever since he had drifted into India on a troopship, taken, with an old rifle, as part payment for a racing debt, the Maltese Cat had played and preached polo to the Skidars’ team on the Skidars’ stony polo-ground. Now a polo-pony is like a poet. If he is born with a love for the game he can be made. The Maltese Cat knew that bamboos grew solely in order that polo-balls might be turned from their roots, that grain was given to ponies to keep them in hard condition, and that ponies were shod to prevent them slipping on a turn. But, besides all these things, he knew every trick and device of the finest game of the world, and for two seasons he had been teaching the others all he knew or guessed.

SpaceCadet

Quiet Reader
There is an interesting take on animals in 'Life and Death are Wearing Me Out' by Mo Yan.
And a few interesting animal characters (including the main one) are to be found in 'Journey to the West' by Wu Cheng'en.

Leseratte

It´s already an old story, but I love the story of Nadja, the hero-cobra.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1...ous-cobra-sparks-trafficking-probe-draws-fans ( Text in English-one correction; Nadja is now living in Instituto Butantan in São Paulo, where they produce venom antidotes and vaccines and where she gets the specific care due to her species.

https://www.tecmundo.com.br/ciencia/231693-onde-anda-naja-brasilia.htm
(The video is in Portuguese. But even so one can get an idea how such a snake is handled and taken care of.)

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
I just realized that we don't have a separate thread for nature writing (fiction and nonfiction both), so perhaps we ought to start one.

While we're on the subject of animals though: what are some of your favorite books/films (or individual stories) about animals?

I read a lot about animals when I was a kid and even dreamed of becoming a zoologist :)

Gerald Durrell (brother of Lawrence) was an early favorite; I adored his Corfu books but also just anything he ever wrote about his travels to Africa, South America, etc. He is definitely dated, and hasn't aged well, providing some unnecessary and deeply insensitive comments about the peoples of those places (though it's always presented as a joke), but that should not detract from his observations about wildlife as such.

The Australian writer Leslie Rees was another childhood favorite: somehow he managed to produce these short, beautiful stories about the birds and animals of his continent that were both anthropomorphic but also not so. In other words, the creatures are imbued with certain humanlike traits, and occasionally he does slip into the "he thought/she thought" nonsense, but at least they're not talking to each other like they do in fairy-tales!

Out of all the books Rees produced (and he produced many) my favorites were probably these three: The Story of Sarli the Barrier Reef Turtle (1947), Two Thumbs: The Story of a Koala (1953), and The Story of Karrawingi the Emu (1946). I still dream of an omnibus edition of his collected children's fiction: most of these books are out of print and I SO want to return to them. I don't know what happened to all of my childhood books but I only have ONE remaining (the one about the turtle).

There was also James Oliver Curwood, whose protracted chronicles about the Alaskan and Canadian wildlife were a real pleasure to read at the time. The ones I remember most vividly were the grizzly books, I think one of them was called Nomads of the North, or something like that.

Leseratte

I loved the Durrell books. In fact I prefer Gerald to Lawrence. But he possibly had more empathy with scorpions than with some of the people of other countries.