Alma Books

tiganeasca

My turn today, I guess. In the course of poking around for a particular old classic, I found Alma Books, based in England. I suppose it makes sense that I finally discovered them since I like classics and so do they. :)

Their "About Us" page is enlightening:

"Alma Books was set up in October 2005 by Alessandro Gallenzi and Elisabetta Minervini, the founders of Hesperus Press. Following its takeover of the Oneworld Classics list in February 2012, it now publishes around seventy new titles a year, mainly in the field of classics. Alma takes around forty per cent of its titles from English-language originals, while the rest are translations from French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Japanese and other languages. Alma Books includes the following imprints: Alma Books, Alma Classics, Overture (music imprint), Calder Publications (founded 1950) and Herla (Poetry). The backlist comprises over 700 titles. Alma counts ten Nobel-Prize winners in its list and many more British and international award-winning authors and translators.As well as publishing internationally renowned authors, Alma takes pride in discovering and fostering new talents that go on to win prizes and become established writers across the world.

WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT
Alma – which is Spanish for “soul” – is a publisher that regards a book as an aesthetic artefact rather than as a mass-produced commodity. The company’s whole emphasis lies on quality over quantity, all the way from choosing projects for publication to creating the physical look and feel of each volume. Alma works intimately with authors and translators to develop the best possible finished scripts, and displays a passionate commitment to the kind of professional editing, copy-editing and proofreading that is dying out elsewhere. Click here to find out more about our translators."

I particularly like that they have a backlist in a wide variety of different literatures, and I quote:
Even more impressive to me is that, if you read the "About Us" paragraph above, they actually are proud of and highlight their translators--something few publishers do and that I think is terribly important. All this said, their stock in trade in classics. It's not likely you'll find something "unexpected" here (with the possible exception of their small "Quirky Classics" series), still, nice works, nice covers, an appropriately positive mission statement. Take a look!

Stevie B

Current Member
My turn today, I guess. In the course of poking around for a particular old classic, I found Alma Books, based in England. I suppose it makes sense that I finally discovered them since I like classics and so do they. :)

Their "About Us" page is enlightening:

"Alma Books was set up in October 2005 by Alessandro Gallenzi and Elisabetta Minervini, the founders of Hesperus Press. Following its takeover of the Oneworld Classics list in February 2012, it now publishes around seventy new titles a year, mainly in the field of classics. Alma takes around forty per cent of its titles from English-language originals, while the rest are translations from French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Japanese and other languages. Alma Books includes the following imprints: Alma Books, Alma Classics, Overture (music imprint), Calder Publications (founded 1950) and Herla (Poetry). The backlist comprises over 700 titles. Alma counts ten Nobel-Prize winners in its list and many more British and international award-winning authors and translators.As well as publishing internationally renowned authors, Alma takes pride in discovering and fostering new talents that go on to win prizes and become established writers across the world.

WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT
Alma – which is Spanish for “soul” – is a publisher that regards a book as an aesthetic artefact rather than as a mass-produced commodity. The company’s whole emphasis lies on quality over quantity, all the way from choosing projects for publication to creating the physical look and feel of each volume. Alma works intimately with authors and translators to develop the best possible finished scripts, and displays a passionate commitment to the kind of professional editing, copy-editing and proofreading that is dying out elsewhere. Click here to find out more about our translators."

I particularly like that they have a backlist in a wide variety of different literatures, and I quote:
Even more impressive to me is that, if you read the "About Us" paragraph above, they actually are proud of and highlight their translators--something few publishers do and that I think is terribly important. All this said, their stock in trade in classics. It's not likely you'll find something "unexpected" here (with the possible exception of their small "Quirky Classics" series), still, nice works, nice covers, an appropriately positive mission statement. Take a look!
I own about a half dozen books published by Alma. Bright, attractive covers and reasonable prices. What's not to like?
1596654079089.png