Andrey Kurkov

tiganeasca

We already have threads on Ukrainian literature and two separate threads on two of Kurkov's works, but I think he ought to have a separate thread for him generally. So: there is a long article coming up this weekend in the magazine section of the New York Times entitled "How Ukraine’s Greatest Novelist Is Fighting for His Country." I include the opening paragraph here as well as a link to the entire piece. As always, should you be unable to get it because it's behind a paywall, let me know privately.

"On the morning of Feb. 25, the day after Russian bombs began falling on his country, Andrey Kurkov, Ukraine’s most famous living writer, received a phone call at his home near Independence Square in central Kyiv. The call was from an old friend, a businessman with close ties to the government, who had just got hold of some privileged information: Kurkov, a longtime critic of Vladimir Putin, was on a list of “pro-Ukrainian activists” drawn up by the Kremlin, whose forces could seize the capital in a matter of days. He needed to get out."

Liam

Administrator
Way to tease us with a cliffhanger, Dave!!! ?

(OMG, is he going to get out??? is he going to stay??? is he going to get thrown in a Russian prison???)

Leseratte

Interesting article. Just a citation: "Kurkov, a sly satirist in the tradition of Gogol and Bulgakov, was especially delighted to learn about a Russian Underwear Tax, whereby each Ukrainian family was required to donate three pairs of undergarments to the ill-equipped Red Army. "

kpjayan

Reader
Long ago, I've read his 'Death and the Penguin', and liked it. Been wanting to read him again. He is popular in Southern India, attends the literary festival regularly, have a considerable fan base. I'd read his 'war diary - jottings', at the beginning of the Russian invasion, which are translated and printed in a regional news paper over a period of 6-7 days. Which included his family leaving Kiev and he and his wife staying put. Didn't know , he too had fled the war.