Belgian Literature

Eric

Former Member
Thanks for the thanks, Chika. What do you think of the writings of Kristien Hemmerechts? I'd never heard of Naegels, but Lanoye is familiar. I've also heard of Lee Pleasure, though I don't think I've read anything by him. At present I'm reading Flandrophile and grumblophile Hieronymous Brewer. But I'm open to suggestions.

Anyone here read Michiels?

chika

Reader
Kristien Hemmerechts: I haven't read her yet, for some reason. Arnon Grunenberg is another contemporary writer you may want to explore. And of course the new Belgians: Rachida lambraert, Lustapha Kor etcetcetc

Eric

Former Member
Kristien Hemmerechts (born 1955) is a good writer. If there is any fly in the ointment it is, as with Maarten 't Hart, which Peter D mentions on the Dutch Literature thread, that she does have a rather circumscribed number of topics she writes about: men & women and their fraught relationships, women in a kind of sisterly relationship, and one or two other things. But she writes well about them. And one topic she focusses on a lot is the deaths of children. Two of her own died, so she knows this topic only too well from personal experience.

On the whole, her volume of collected stories ("Alle verhalen"), now almost a decade old and containing some 60 stories, is certainly worth dipping into. For those who do read Dutch, stories such as "Brokstukken", "Roza", "De overkant", "Kerst", etc., all have their atmosphere.

I tried to translate one of her novels into English called "Veel vrouwen, en nu en dan een man" (Many Women and the Odd Man), but I was snubbed by her then literary agent who said (this in about 2001) that her 1995 novel was too old (!) to promote. The literary agent was Dutch herself, i.e. not Flemish like Hemmerechts, and also managed to say that although her colleague (a native-speaker of English) found my excerpt translation OK, she herself had found unidiomatic phrases in the English. I still think: what a bloody cheek! What a betweter!

Unfortunately, Hemmerechts, who actually started her writing career in the English language (!) with a few stories, has never broken through in translation into our language. Although the cheeky Dutch literary agent may have something to do with this, I am quite unable to understand why this author, who has written so much, has had such abysmal success with English translations. I haven't bothered trying to translate her work into English for years after that brush with her literary agent - but nor does anyone else seem to have done.

A small picture of her:

Her bibliography (roman = novel; korte verhalen = short-stories; novelle = novella; reisverhalen = travel stories; dagboek = diary):

Bibliography - Kristien Hemmerechts
  • Een zuil van zout, 1987 (novelle)
  • Weerberichten, 1988 (korte verhalen)
  • Brede heupen, 1989 (roman)
  • 's Nachts, 1989 (korte verhalen)
  • Zonder Grenzen, 1991 (roman)
  • Kerst en andere liefdesverhalen, 1992 (korte verhalen)
  • Wit zand, 1993 (roman)
  • Lang geleden, 1994 (verhalen)
  • Amsterdam Retour, 1995 (reisverhalen)
  • Veel vrouwen, af en toe een man, 1995 (roman)
  • Kort kort lang, 1996 (korte verhalen)
  • Margot en de engelen, 1997 (roman)
  • Taal zonder mij, 1998
  • De tuin der onschuldigen, 1999 (roman)
  • De kinderen van Arthur, 2000 (roman)
  • O, toen alles nog voorbij kon gaan, 2000 (kort proza)
  • Donderdagmiddag.Halfvier., 2002 (roman)
  • Een jaar als (g)een ander, 2003 (dagboek)
  • De laatste keer, 2004 (roman)
  • V, notities bij een reis naar Vietnam, 2004 (reisverslag)
  • De waar gebeurde geschiedenis van Victor en Clara Rooze, 2005 (roman)
  • Als een kinderhemd, 2006 (verhalen)
She's written quite a lot over the decades and lives in a country right next door to Britain where she has worked as a university lecturer in English literature and creative writing. But the Brits and Yanks seem to have roundly snubbed her, with a little help from others.

Mirabell

Former Member
hemmerechts2300.jpg

Eric

Former Member
One small point, Chika. Those who want to follow up your leads about the Dutch author Arnon Grunberg, and the Flemish authors Mustafa K?r (of Turkish origin) and Rachida Lamrabet (of Moroccan origin) may find the spellings I've used here easier to find them by...

Quotes. You managed to do a quote. But just for the sake of clarity. First you pick up the text by blocking it (on my screen the text then becomes white on blue). Then you dump that text in your message. Then you block the quote again in the same way, and press the icon that looks like this:
quote.gif

You will then see the text with the word QUOTE (upper case) with square brackets round it at the beginning of the quoted part and /QUOTE - also in square brackets - at the end of the quote. That's the way I do it, anyway.

Eric

Former Member
Mirabell, can you find the photo where she takes the penis board away? Yes, Hemmerechts likes writing about sex, but I don't think she'd cut anyone's prick off. She's a feminist, but not a nutty one. And she likes men. I'd forgotten about the sex angle, because there is more to Hemmerechts than descriptions of shagging for the prurient to slaver at.

Let's concentrate on what she writes rather than on the eye-catching covers of Dutch mags like Vrij Nederland. In the Dutch-speaking world, Hemmerechts does indulge, like Maarten 't Hart, in bouts of self-publicity verging on the tasteless. But you can forgive her this development. She has had her share of misfortune. As I mentioned, she lost two children (one stillborn, as I believe, or cot death), her poet husband Herman de Coninck dropped dead on the street in Lisbon and - and this is what clinches it - she writes interestingly about her somewhat limited range of topics. As with 't Hart, the publicity rather taints the talent. But she puts her heart into what she writes and isn't a big pseud.

Can we now have a similar photo of Mirabell in the nude? We're all dying to know what he looks like in his birthday suit. You can cover up your privates with copies of the Flemish novels you've read. If you've never read any, hard luck. You will reveal all.

Eric

Former Member
I've not read much written by Kristien Hemmerechts since September 2009 when that charming photo of her was published. But I have a dozen books by her here in Sweden, and still cannot quite understand why nothing of hers has appeared in English translation except one story (as far as I know).

By now, the anthology I mentioned in one of my previous postings here has been published, so Paul Vincent's translation of the story "Fairy Tale" in "The Dedalus Book of Flemish Fantasy" may be the first thing she's had published in Britain.

Eric

Former Member
Do people still stage plays by Maeterlinck and Ghelderode, and read the poetry of Verhaeren?

J

John

I've read "Cheese" by Willem Elsschot. I don't remember much though.

Ben Jackson

Belgian writers to read:

Claus
Stefan Hertmans
More of Maeterlinck's plays
Bruges La Morte--- Rodebach
Michaux
Goffette
Vestidjk
Streuvels
Louis Paul Boon
Ghelderode Michel
Kaas novel Eschott

wordeater

My twenty favorite Belgian novels, with the very best in bold:
  • Hendrik Conscience - De Loteling (1850)
  • Stijn Streuvels - De Vlaschaard (1907)
  • Virginie Loveling - Een Revolverschot (1911)
  • Ernest Claes - De Witte (1920)
  • Georges Simenon - Les Fiançailles de Monsieur Hire (1933)
  • Gerard Walschap - Houtekiet (1939)
  • Willem Elsschot - Kaas (1933)
  • Willem Elsschot - Het Dwaallicht (1946)
  • Louis Paul Boon - De Kapellekensbaan (1953)
  • Georges Simenon - Maigret tend un piège (1955)
  • Hubert Lampo - De Komst van Joachim Stiller (1960)
  • Hugo Claus - De Verwondering (1962)
  • Ward Ruyslinck - Het Reservaat (1964)
  • Louis Paul Boon - Eros en de Eenzame Man (1980)
  • Hugo Claus - Het Verdriet van België (1983)
  • Tom Lanoye - Alles Moet Weg (1988)
  • Kristien Hemmerechts - Brede Heupen (1989)
  • Amélie Nothomb - Stupeur et tremblements (1999)
  • Amélie Nothomb - Métaphysique des Tubes (2000)
  • Kristien Hemmerechts - Donderdagmiddag. Halfvier. (2002)

Last edited:

MichaelHW

I used two stories by the rosny brothers in my radio stream. The audio turned out ok. I researched and found them, did the sound editing. I hired a reader. The rosny brothers became known for scifi. These stories I found in newspapers from the 1880s, and were written before they went down that path. One is very sad and the other spooky
Here is the spooky one:

I found two other stories by them, but i did not make audiobooks of them

Liam

Administrator
I haven't seen any mention of Charles De Coster, whose Till Ulenspiegel book is considered as a foundational classic of Belgian Literature. It's interesting how the eponymous hero refuses to die and still manages to capture our [modern] imaginations, as exemplified recently by Daniel Kehlmann's novel Tyll (2017). I read De Coster's book a LONG time ago, maybe when I was 15-16y.o. (?), and I have very warm memories of it!

tiganeasca

I have just two words for you (okay, so it's a name; it's still two words): Stijn Streuvels. See wordeater's post above and search Stijn Streuvels on this board.