Blahblahblah
Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

Jon Fosse, Trilogy

Cesar Aira, Conversations

William Golding, Darkness Visible

Can Xue, Mystery Train

Peter Handke, The Fruit-Thief

Jeff Vandermeer, City of Saints and Madmen

The Bronte was the best followed by the Fosse, with the rest in no particular order. I'm not sure what I'd make of the Aira, Golding and Handke now. They all had flaws, but I read them at the right time, when I was in the right head space for each, and as a result I found something in the books that made all three transcend their problems.

I'm also in the middle of Patrick White's Riders in the Chariot. Probably won't finish any time soon, but I wanted to give it a mention as it would definitely get a spot on here.

Leseratte

Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

Jon Fosse, Trilogy

Cesar Aira, Conversations

William Golding, Darkness Visible

Can Xue, Mystery Train

Peter Handke, The Fruit-Thief

Jeff Vandermeer, City of Saints and Madmen

The Bronte was the best followed by the Fosse, with the rest in no particular order. I'm not sure what I'd make of the Aira, Golding and Handke now. They all had flaws, but I read them at the right time, when I was in the right head space for each, and as a result I found something in the books that made all three transcend their problems.

I'm also in the middle of Patrick White's Riders in the Chariot. Probably won't finish any time soon, but I wanted to give it a mention as it would definitely get a spot on here.
So very surprised to find Jon Fosse among your best reads.

Chandos MD

Leo Tolstoy - The Death of Ivan Ilyich

Mário de Andrade - Macunaíma (a new English translation published this year)

Mathais Énard - Compass

Thomas Bernhard - Correction (my favorite of his, but this year I also read Frost, Gargoyles, The Loser, Concrete, Wittgenstein’s Nephew, and Extinction)

Santideva - The Bodhicaryāvatāra

The Plays of Henrik Ibsen (I had read Doll House before, but added Peer Gynt, The Wild Duck, Master Builder, and Hedda Gabler to the list)

The Poems of Osip Mandelstam (I read the nyrb selected poems, the nyrb poets edition of the Voronezh notebooks, and another selection titled Stolen Air)

I don’t know what else I’ll get to this year, I brought a copy of The Idiot with me when I left for the holidays but I don’t expect to finish it, if I even start

Leseratte

Leo Tolstoy - The Death of Ivan Ilyich

Mário de Andrade - Macunaíma (a new English translation published this year)

Mathais Énard - Compass

Thomas Bernhard - Correction (my favorite of his, but this year I also read Frost, Gargoyles, The Loser, Concrete, Wittgenstein’s Nephew, and Extinction)

Santideva - The Bodhicaryāvatāra

The Plays of Henrik Ibsen (I had read Doll House before, but added Peer Gynt, The Wild Duck, Master Builder, and Hedda Gabler to the list)

The Poems of Osip Mandelstam (I read the nyrb selected poems, the nyrb poets edition of the Voronezh notebooks, and another selection titled Stolen Air)

I don’t know what else I’ll get to this year, I brought a copy of The Idiot with me when I left for the holidays but I don’t expect to finish it, if I even

Good news about Macunaíma! A new translation and a reader that understood and liked this complex novel!

Leseratte

I read 12 books in 2023.
My best reads of 2023(in no specific order).

International Literature:
Geetanjali Shree- Tomb of Sand- a very particular way of writing about an old woman.

Jon Fosse-Trilogy- This was my introduction to Jon Fosse´s style, themes and nightmares.

Ibrahim al-Kōnī-Gold Dust- an intense novel about archaic life, love and hatred in the Egyptian desert.

Jenny Erpenbeck-Visitation- A paradisiac spot in the former DDR and the people that live on it are affected by the historical events of the 20C.

Lobo Antunes-As Naus (The Caravels), O Manual do Inquisidor( The Inquisitor's Manual)- Showed me new aspects of the fiction of Lobo Antunes.

Scolastique Mukasonga-The Barefoot Woman-A warm an intense picture of the Tutsi tribal society from her youth, before it was destroyed by the Hutus. The central figure of Mukasonga´s narrative is her own mother.

Kim l'Horizon- Blutbuch (Bloodbook )(read in German)- for me a difficult read, but seems to me to innovate gender fiction.

Brazilian Literature:

Thanks to Benny Profane I discovered Adriana Lisboa. The Synphony in White depicts archaic relationships on a farm family life and its subsequent effect on the life of the two female protagonists, the two daughters of the house.

Benny Profane

Brazilian Literature:

Thanks to Benny Profane I discovered Adriana Lisboa. The Synphony in White depicts archaic relationships on a farm family life and its subsequent effect on the life of the two female protagonists, the two daughters of the house.
Thank you for your kind words, my dear! Please, read Azul-Corvo. It's a brilliant masterpiece!

Phil D

2023 highlights:

Fernando Pessoa –
The Complete Works of Alberto Caeiro (trans. Margaret Jull Costa)
– Absolute magic. Caeiro's is a singular, consistent vision of the world and the self that enriches and deepens the world by paradoxically refusing everything but the surface of things. This New Directions bilingual edition is beautifully presented, with texts by other heteronyms commenting on Caeiro's central place in the Pessoa constellation from various perspectives. Their decision to then publish the next volume in what appears to be a project to translate Pessoa's complete works, The Complete Works of Álvaro de Campos, as a monolingual English edition, is an absolute disaster and my biggest literary disappointment of 2023. (Monolingual Portuguese-language books are prohibitively expensive to acquire in Australia.)

Carson McCullers – The Member of the Wedding
My first book by McCullers, certainly won't be my last. Short novel about pre-teen misfit Frankie Addams and her struggle to form part of something other than her oddball self. Richly in poetry but never dense, wonderfully expressionistic, queer, insightful, empathetic and funny, and terrifically skillful both at a sentence and structural level. McCullers was an extraordinary talent. I'm so glad to have more of her books to read in 2024.

Alejandro Zambra – Poeta chileno (audiobook, read by the author)
– With five books, Zambra was my most read author this year. Everything he writes is suffused with love and tenderness, but this one is my favourite. A story of family, poetry, youth, disappointment, travel, love, hope, many other things that make up ordinary life for a few ordinary characters that I could live among for years. No fireworks, but so much gentle beauty.

Ben Jackson

After reading close to hundred books this year, here are my Best Reads of 2023:

Non-European Fiction/Poetry

?? Death of Artemio Cruz--- Carlos Fuentes

Fuentes's masterpiece looks at not only a 12 vital days of a corrupt soul but also the modern Mexico, narrated through cinematic approach calling to mind Citizen Kane.

?? Complete Poems--- Tomas Transtromer

A master, these poems, written in condensed languageue with directness and precision, possess themes ranging from music and dreams to nature and consciousness. One of my favourite poets.

?? Opened Ground: Selected Poems-- Seamus Heaney

Selection of poems from one of the giants of modern poetry, with it's accessible and down-to earth language looks at personal and collective history drawing from Catholic and Irish nature, myth and history. Deserving Nobel Laureate.

?? Poems--- Salvatore Quasimodo, Collected Poems 1920--1974--- Eugenio Montale

While Quasimodo's poems are drawn from his Sicilian background and makes use of classicism and impressions, Montale, Italy'a greatest poet in the last 100 years, possess a more visual dexterity and is more pessimistic in outlook.

?? Voss--- Patrick White

White's masterpiece narrates the love story of Johann Ulrich Voss, a German explorer and Laura but it also looks at an individual in search of the soul of a continent, combining religious symbolism and expressionism with startling effects.

?? Another Country-- James Baldwin

Baldwin's richest novel in terms of ideas and imagination, this novel presents Rufus as individual expressing the existential paradox of Camus (see the essay on suicide), at the same time presenting African-Americans living in another country of their minds.

?? Selected Poems--- Adonis

Dazzling and aensuous imagination from one of the most discussed poets from the latter years of the last century, these selected poems looks at issues ranging from exile and politics, to different dimensions of love.

?? Afterlives--- Abdulrazak Gurnah

Insightful look into the horrors pepetrated by Germans in an African country. Gurnah's finest work in terms of psychological detail.

?? Cairo Trilogy--- Naguib Mahfouz

Mahfouz's greatest work looks at not just the family of Jawad but also society in transition to modernity and World War ll.

?? The Conservationist--- Nadine Gordimer

Experimental masterpiece from one of the great female novelists of her generation, the novel reveals in moments the life of capitalist Mehring as a flood washes up a dead body in 1970s South Africa, a biting look at Apartheid.

European Fiction

?? The Slave--- Isaac Singer

Singer's beautiful novel looks at beauty and ugliness of Jewish tradition and ask the question if one can risk religious faith for love's sake written with lyrical and existential reflection.

?? Tin Drum--- Gunter Grass

A look into local culture and society's grotesqueries in this linguistic exuberant masterpiece. And that sentence: Barbaric, mystical, bored, is the most authentic and prophetic remark in post-war fiction.

??/ ?? Remains of the Day--- Kazuo Ishiguro

A compact novel that looks into human memory, duty and responsibility narrated through Stevens six-day road trip.

?? Trilogy--- Samuel Beckett

Beckett's greatest achievement in fiction looks at, with linguistic ingenuity, the division of the self and existential problems of man through a voice in oppression and solitude. His most pessimistic but wonderful creation.

?? Septology--- Jon Fosse

Magnum opus of Wolfie and Nobel Laureate looks at the life of an aging painter Asle three days before Christmas, Fosse combines religious metaphysics and symbolism in this one sentence novel.

??????? Briefing for a Descent into Hell-- Doris Lessing

An imaginative experiment into the life of a mentally disintegrated character, Lessing blends fantastical voyage and realism to wonderful results.

??????? The Waves--- Virginia Woolf

A novel that looks at life of seven individuals from childhood to death with brilliant references to movements of seawater which mirrors the ups and downs of existence.

?? Afternoon of a Writer--- Peter Handke

A day into the life of a writer with creative block, Handke clearly questions the role of a writer in this beautiful novella.

And the Book of The Year:
?? In Search of Lost Time--- Marcel Proust

Simply put: a novel about life and unparralled insight into memory (memory as the years) and men (giants immersed in Time).

Honorable Mentions:
?? People in the Summer Night--- Frans Emil Silanpaa
A symphonic novel which looks at two weekend days in a countryside experiencing human conditions, filled with wonderful descriptions of nature.
?? The Assitant--- Bernard Malamud
This novel not only looks at immigrant life but also redemption by referencing/applying religious symbolism.

Leseratte

After reading close to hundred books this year, here are my Best Reads of 2023:

Non-European Fiction/Poetry

?? Death of Artemio Cruz--- Carlos Fuentes

Fuentes's masterpiece looks at not only a 12 vital days of a corrupt soul but also the modern Mexico, narrated through cinematic approach calling to mind Citizen Kane.

?? Complete Poems--- Tomas Transtromer

A master, these poems, written in condensed languageue with directness and precision, possess themes ranging from music and dreams to nature and consciousness. One of my favourite poets.

?? Opened Ground: Selected Poems-- Seamus Heaney

Selection of poems from one of the giants of modern poetry, with it's accessible and down-to earth language looks at personal and collective history drawing from Catholic and Irish nature, myth and history. Deserving Nobel Laureate.

?? Poems--- Salvatore Quasimodo, Collected Poems 1920--1974--- Eugenio Montale

While Quasimodo's poems are drawn from his Sicilian background and makes use of classicism and impressions, Montale, Italy'a greatest poet in the last 100 years, possess a more visual dexterity and is more pessimistic in outlook.

?? Voss--- Patrick White

White's masterpiece narrates the love story of Johann Ulrich Voss, a German explorer and Laura but it also looks at an individual in search of the soul of a continent, combining religious symbolism and expressionism with startling effects.

?? Another Country-- James Baldwin

Baldwin's richest novel in terms of ideas and imagination, this novel presents Rufus as individual expressing the existential paradox of Camus (see the essay on suicide), at the same time presenting African-Americans living in another country of their minds.

?? Selected Poems--- Adonis

Dazzling and aensuous imagination from one of the most discussed poets from the latter years of the last century, these selected poems looks at issues ranging from exile and politics, to different dimensions of love.

?? Afterlives--- Abdulrazak Gurnah

Insightful look into the horrors pepetrated by Germans in an African country. Gurnah's finest work in terms of psychological detail.

?? Cairo Trilogy--- Naguib Mahfouz

Mahfouz's greatest work looks at not just the family of Jawad but also society in transition to modernity and World War ll.

?? The Conservationist--- Nadine Gordimer

Experimental masterpiece from one of the great female novelists of her generation, the novel reveals in moments the life of capitalist Mehring as a flood washes up a dead body in 1970s South Africa, a biting look at Apartheid.

European Fiction

?? The Slave--- Isaac Singer

Singer's beautiful novel looks at beauty and ugliness of Jewish tradition and ask the question if one can risk religious faith for love's sake written with lyrical and existential reflection.

?? Tin Drum--- Gunter Grass

A look into local culture and society's grotesqueries in this linguistic exuberant masterpiece. And that sentence: Barbaric, mystical, bored, is the most authentic and prophetic remark in post-war fiction.

??/ ?? Remains of the Day--- Kazuo Ishiguro

A compact novel that looks into human memory, duty and responsibility narrated through Stevens six-day road trip.

?? Trilogy--- Samuel Beckett

Beckett's greatest achievement in fiction looks at, with linguistic ingenuity, the division of the self and existential problems of man through a voice in oppression and solitude. His most pessimistic but wonderful creation.

?? Septology--- Jon Fosse

Magnum opus of Wolfie and Nobel Laureate looks at the life of an aging painter Asle three days before Christmas, Fosse combines religious metaphysics and symbolism in this one sentence novel.

??????? Briefing for a Descent into Hell-- Doris Lessing

An imaginative experiment into the life of a mentally disintegrated character, Lessing blends fantastical voyage and realism to wonderful results.

??????? The Waves--- Virginia Woolf

A novel that looks at life of seven individuals from childhood to death with brilliant references to movements of seawater which mirrors the ups and downs of existence.

?? Afternoon of a Writer--- Peter Handke

A day into the life of a writer with creative block, Handke clearly questions the role of a writer in this beautiful novella.

And the Book of The Year:
?? In Search of Lost Time--- Marcel Proust

Simply put: a novel about life and unparralled insight into memory (memory as the years) and men (giants immersed in Time).

Honorable Mentions:
?? People in the Summer Night--- Frans Emil Silanpaa
A symphonic novel which looks at two weekend days in a countryside experiencing human conditions, filled with wonderful descriptions of nature.
?? The Assitant--- Bernard Malamud
This novel not only looks at immigrant life but also redemption by referencing/applying religious symbolism.
I am amazed at your capacity of absorption.

alik-vit

Reader
My best read (order is more or less chronological):

Raul Zurita (INRI, Purgatory, Anteparadise)
William T. Vollmann, Whores for Gloria
Nona Fernandez, The Twilight Zone, Space Invaders
Antonio Lobo Antunes, The Inquisitors' Manual
Henry Roth, Call it Sleep
Odysseas Elytis, The Axion Esti
Janet Frame, Faces in the Water
Gloria Gervitz, Migrations
John Barth, Lost in the Funhouse

Stevie B

Current Member
Carson McCullers – The Member of the Wedding
My first book by McCullers, certainly won't be my last. Short novel about pre-teen misfit Frankie Addams and her struggle to form part of something other than her oddball self. Richly in poetry but never dense, wonderfully expressionistic, queer, insightful, empathetic and funny, and terrifically skillful both at a sentence and structural level. McCullers was an extraordinary talent. I'm so glad to have more of her books to read in 2024.
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter is also filled with outcasts. It's one of my all-time favorite novels. I envy you for just beginning your Carson McCullers journey. Her output was small, so don't rush through it the way I did.

Hamishe22

This is my top 10

10) State in Society: Studying How States & Societies Transform & Constitute One Another by Joel S. Migdal
9) Afterlives by Abdulrazak Gurnah
8) A House for Mr Biswas by V.S. Naipaul
7) The Hive by Camilo José Cela
6) I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy
5) Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
4) Cancer Ward by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
3) The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy
2) Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family by Thomas Mann
1) Stella Maris by Cormac McCarthy