Bolivian Literature

Benny Profane

A country whose its Literature is very obscure and unknown. In my case, as Brazilian, I've never heard about any writer from Bolivia untill I heard about Edmundo Paz Soldán. And you can notice that Bolivia is a neighbour of Brazil.

Has anyone had any expertise about Bolivian Literature?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

tiganeasca

I couldn't think of any Bolivian authors either and then I looked at my own library which, to my surprise, includes one book by a 19th century Bolivian author, Nataniel Aguirre. The English language Wikipedia has this entry on him.

Oxford University Press publishes a series of books in a group called "Library of Latin America." Over the years I have bought a lot of the volumes in this collection including a work by Sr Aguirre entitled Juan de la Rosa.

Maybe I should read it?!

Benny Profane

I couldn't think of any Bolivian authors either and then I looked at my own library which, to my surprise, includes one book by a 19th century Bolivian author, Nataniel Aguirre. The English language Wikipedia has this entry on him.

Oxford University Press publishes a series of books in a group called "Library of Latin America." Over the years I have bought a lot of the volumes in this collection including a work by Sr Aguirre entitled Juan de la Rosa.

Maybe I should read it?!
I never heard about of him.

Daniel del Real

Even in the Spanish speaking world you don't get to see a lot of Bolivian writers works on bookstores.
Besides the already mentioned Paz Soldán, who probably is the most known Bolivian writer alive, I've only read two other writers: Liliana Colanzi and Magela Baudoin, both relatively young (41 & 50) and mainly short story writers.
I liked Norte by Paz Soldán, although I haven't read Río Fugitivo, which is claimed as his best novel.
Colanzi is a very good short story writer in the same vein of Mariana Enríquez and Samanta Schweblin.