Edith Grossman (1936-2023)

tiganeasca

“You are my voice in English,” Gabriel García Márquez told her. Not a bad recommendation. She translated everyone from Cervantes to Fuentes and, of course, Gabo. I love the way the obituary in the New York Times ends:

"Despite her international reputation, Dr. Grossman hated to travel. But she enjoyed close relationships with the authors she translated and spoke with them regularly by phone. Her authors knew how devoted she was to them, as they were to her.
It was a measure of that devotion that one day, while she was immersed in translating Don Quixote, the phone rang. It was Mr. García Márquez, sounding like a jealous husband. 'I hear,' he said, 'you’re two-timing me with Cervantes.'"

Liam

Administrator
Oh no! She was probably my favorite translator. She had a great devotion to the languages she was working with/from but also to English. She never forgot to stay true to the English language since it was her target language to begin with. Her translations always read so "original." I haven't tackled her version of Don Quixote yet, but it's been on my TBR list for years. RIP.

Ben Jackson

Oh no! She was probably my favorite translator. She had a great devotion to the languages she was working with/from but also to English. She never forgot to stay true to the English language since it was her target language to begin with. Her translations always read so "original." I haven't tackled her version of Don Quixote yet, but it's been on my TBR list for years. RIP.

I haven't read Don Quixote myself, so you're not alone.

Grossmann was a brilliant translator, she did a brilliant job for Spanish writers what James Wood did for Thomas Mann and other German writers. So sad.

Z--

While I cannot broadly speak to other translations (as I only compared the first pages from multiple translations), her rendition of Don Quixote in English is incredibly smooth and flows beautifully. Ben, your comparison to Wood is perfect.

Rest in peace.