Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom!

Ben Jackson

I finally started reading W.Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom!

Nearly half-way through. I don't know if it's me but...

At every sitting, the exact same phenomenon reproduce itself: two pages in and my head start swimming; I right myself up; a few more pages and that inner voice starts nagging me: 'Do you really have to read the whole thing?'...

As Tiganeasca mentioned earlier on this forum, I tried to 'think of the book as poetry as much as it is prose: pay attention to images, not cohesiveness. Just keep going and let the words wash over you. Feel the words, don't read them...'. That does not seem to work very well with me:unsure: (perhaps because English is not my first language). I do not see much poetry in it, but such a superabundance of words as I have never seen before!

Nevertheless, I'll keep on reading and see where it leads me to.
The same feeling I had when I read it last year. I always prefer Sound and the Fury to Absalom.

Leseratte

The same feeling I had when I read it last year. I always prefer Sound and the Fury to Absalom.
While The Sound and the Fury left an undeletable impression (specially the first part, although I have a very faint remembrance of the story itself), I can´t remember if I read Absalon, Absalon.

SpaceCadet

Quiet Reader
There is no question that it's a very difficult book--even for those of us for whom English is our native language. It's not for everyone and my own advice would be that nothing--no book--is worth slogging through just so that you can say that you "read" it. Maybe try some other Faulkner works that aren't quite so difficult....Sound and Fury or Light in August or As I Lay Dying...all of which are masterpieces of their own. Good luck, whatever you choose to do.
The truth is... It is after having read and enjoyed Sound and Fury, Light in August and As I Lay Dying... that I decided I wanted to read more works from Faulkner. Perhaps not the right choice for me at this point, Absalom, Absalom! seems both more challenging and less satisfying.

Due to the fact that I cannot see much differences between the narrative voices I've encountered so far, at times it seems to me that W.F. is giving us his many drafts of the same story to read, letting us decide what to make of it. I am still curious to see how the whole will appear to me once I reach the end,.. but making my way to there will require some patience

Last edited:

tiganeasca

The truth is... It is after having read and enjoyed Sound and Fury, Light in August and As I Lay Dying... that I decided I wanted to read more works from Faulkner. Perhaps not the right choice for me at this point, Absalom, Absalom! seems both more challenging and less satisfying.

Due to the fact that I cannot see much differences between the narrative voices I've encountered so far, at times it seems to me that W.F. is giving us his many drafts of the same story to read, letting us decide what to make of it. I am still curious to see how the whole will appear to me once I reach the end,.. but making my way to there will require some patience.
Ah. Well. I had not realized that you had read those works. If you've read those three (in particular), then Absalom, Absalom! makes a great deal of sense as the next work to read.

I read Faulkner in an idiosyncratic order which I wish I had not (thus, the first work I read was As I Lay Dying (which I think was a very good first book of his to read) followed by Absalom, Absalom! Only then did I read Light in August, a few other things, and then, many years later The Sound and the Fury). I should probably re-read all of them but my impression--in retrospect--is that Absalom, Absalom! is his greatest achievement, followed closely by The Sound and the Fury, and that the latter is much easier to read, especially once the first part is finished. In a way, if you read The Sound and the Fury backwards, it's almost a blueprint (or perhaps a guide) to how to read Absalom, Absalom!

Although I am loath to turn to Wikipedia for worthwhile literary criticism, I do think that the entry on Absalom, Absalom! contains a few insights that are worth considering. Because it's such a complex work, it's hardly reducible to easy summary; nevertheless, the following observations are, I think, helpful.

"Absalom, Absalom! juxtaposes ostensible fact, informed guesswork, and outright speculation—with the implication that reconstructions of the past remain irretrievable [my emphasis] and therefore imaginative. Faulkner stated that, although none of the narrators got the facts right since "no one individual can look at truth," a truth exists and that the reader can ultimately know it. Most critics have tried to reconstruct this truth behind the shifting narratives, or to show that such a reconstruction cannot be done with certainty or even to prove that there are factual and logical inconsistencies that cannot be overcome. But some critics have stated that, fictional truth being an oxymoron, it is best to take the story as a given, and regard it on the level of myth and archetype, a fable that allows us to glimpse the deepest levels of the unconscious and thus better understand the people who accept (and are ruled by) that myth—Southerners in general and Quentin Compson in particular.
By using various narrators expressing their interpretations, the novel alludes to the historical cultural zeitgeist of Faulkner's South, where the past is always present and constantly in states of revision by the people who tell and retell the story over time; it thus also explores the process of myth-making and the questioning of truth."

I disagree with Faulkner. I do not think a single truth exists. I think there is a truth that exists for each character that is different for every other character. We are all imprisoned, to an extent, by our positions and our viewpoints and so our truths (and our knowledge) may overlap. But "turth" will never be the same thing for any two people. And I think that Absalom, Absalom! is the perfect example of that.

Last edited:

MichaelHW

I absolon absalon as a student. It was on the reading list. I didn't enjoy faulkner's experimental things, but he wrote some pretty normal things and they were ok. Just like I prefer Dubliners over Finnegan's Wake. My favorite southern writer, in fact my favorite US writer, is tennessee williams. The Glass Menegerie, in my view the best play in the US. (except for some comedies). My second favorite is Robert E. Howard. Most of what Howard wrote might not have an intellectual message, but he was a master of style. Ambrose Bierce is another stylist of world stature.

Ben Jackson

I absolon absalon as a student. It was on the reading list. I didn't enjoy faulkner's experimental things, but he wrote some pretty normal things and they were ok. Just like I prefer Dubliners over Finnegan's Wake. My favorite southern writer, in fact my favorite US writer, is tennessee williams. The Glass Menegerie, in my view the best play in the US. (except for some comedies). My second favorite is Robert E. Howard. Most of what Howard wrote might not have an intellectual message, but he was a master of style. Ambrose Bierce is another stylist of world stature.

I haven't read Glass Menagerie, but I remember reading A Streetcar Named Desire and loved it.

I think Tiga said it best when he analysed Absalom Absalom as a work where "reconstructions of the past remains irretrievable." It was a very tough work, so tough that I wondered how Faulkner was able to pull it off. Ulysses was tough work, but I understood it, I think, because of its few characters. But Absalom might remain the toughest book I will ever read, at least for another ten to fifteen years.

Since you don't really love Faulkner, I believ you're a fan of traditional style narratives, like Dickens, Tolstoy and Mann.

Liam

Administrator
I do not think a single truth exists.
Hmm, I think that "truth" DOES exist as an absolute, but no human being can ever come to know it; it is simply beyond our capacity as humans. But would you not agree that something simply is, above and beyond whatever interpretation we might put on it? ?

tiganeasca

Hmm, I think that "truth" DOES exist as an absolute, but no human being can ever come to know it; it is simply beyond our capacity as humans. But would you not agree that something simply is, above and beyond whatever interpretation we might put on it? ?
I would agree; yes. But I'm not sure where that gets us.

Maybe I should have said, "I do not think a single truth exists that is knowable by human beings (or fictional characters)." Because, ultimately, that is (at least arguably) is what Absalom, Absalom! is all about.

MichaelHW

I haven't read Glass Menagerie, but I remember reading A Streetcar Named Desire and loved it.

I think Tiga said it best when he analysed Absalom Absalom as a work where "reconstructions of the past remains irretrievable." It was a very tough work, so tough that I wondered how Faulkner was able to pull it off. Ulysses was tough work, but I understood it, I think, because of its few characters. But Absalom might remain the toughest book I will ever read, at least for another ten to fifteen years.

Since you don't really love Faulkner, I believ you're a fan of traditional style narratives, like Dickens, Tolstoy and Mann.
No, I am little tired of dickens and jane austen, they are worn out. A little edginess or experimenting is ok, but in moderation. The best version of the glass menagerie is in my view the one with Joanne Woodward directed by Paul Newman, who was a friend of Williams. There is also a radio version of one hour on youtube starring Montgommery Clift as Tom. There are also two other decent versions, one with Kirk Douglas and another with Sam Waterston.

But here is Newman's version. The lines "Blow out your candles, Laura" are written on the tombstone of Williams' sister. The character Laura is based on her. She later became a victim of lobotomy. In fact that subject is mentioned in other plays that Williams wrote. But at the end of the play when Tom says "Blow out your candles, laura", it just drives a stake right into your heart. The melodrama is not loud, but toned down, and yet it is the most touching play I have ever seen. The climax is something might seem like a trifle in the lives of other people, yet you understand that for Laura the words of her "gentleman caller" are devastating.

Last edited: