Forum Status: Oct 2019

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
All,

Following reports from users that there were issues with the forum's operating ability I did some investigation and found that the hosting provider had updated some of its specifications to the latest versions meaning that the forum software, a legacy version of vBulletin (version 4), had effectively become redundant and was throwing up errors when it couldn't efficiently process requests.

I considered updating to the latest version of vBulletin (version 5) but, on reading reviews and opinion around the web, decided it wasn't worth the cost for software that some considered 'dead' or 'failed'. Therefore, I've performed a migration from vBulletin to another software called XenForo which, incidentally, is developed by some of the original vBulletin team before it was acquired and began its decline.

The new software is stable though, understandably, is different. It looks a little different, and it plays different behind the scenes too. It's going to take some time get used to its interface for users, but also for me as admin to navigate my way around its features. It also has a decent registration system, which will hopefully limit the spam accounts we've seen signing up.

Sadly, in the migration, a few things have been lost. Flag icons, some default avatars, and probably much more I've not yet noticed. Also the 'look' and logo of the forum, which I'll endeavour to design anew in time. Another frustration, to which I'm seeking a solution, is the loss of URLs for incoming links. For now they'll just default to the home page. Hopefully this can be resolved.

I'm opening the forum again today as it's Nobel day, usually the busiest time of the forum's year, so wouldn't want you to go without the annual discussion it generates. Especially this year, with two laureates to be announced.

All I ask is that, as you use the new software, you highlight any issues you find on this thread, and I can look to resolve them as soon as possible. If there's posting issues, use the private message system or use the Contact us link at the bottom of the page.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
This post will detail issues found and their status.

TAGS: Permission issues when clicking on links in tag cloud. Status: Unresolved.

EDITING POSTS:
Users reporting they cannot edit their own posts. Status: Resolved.

Last edited:

peter_d

Reader
Thanks Stewart for all the work you've been putting into it! I'm sure we'll all get used to the new interface soon enough.

Bartleby

Thank, you Stewart, so much for what you've done! You're a true hero, what with doing it all just in time for today's announcement!! Thank you!!

And we have reactions now, tho I'm sure not everyone will be fond of, but I like it :p

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I have a question. How do we edit our posts? Couldnt find a way to do it.
The usergroup you are in has permissions to Edit posts. I would hope that it said Report under each post and Report | Edit under each of yours.
There was a time limit on editing posts, which I've removed.

Added to the issue list...

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I have a question. How do we edit our posts? Couldnt find a way to do it.
Are you sure you can't see Report | Edit | Delete on your own posts? You are in the same usergroup as the test account above and, when logged in as that, I could see them on that post.

Bartleby

Are you sure you can't see Report | Edit | Delete on your own posts? You are in the same usergroup as the test account above and, when logged in as that, I could see them on that post.
Now I’ve seen it. It must have been this limit thing you mentioned. For I could swear it wasn't there before.

tiganeasca

Just wanted to add my thanks for all the enormous amounts of time and effort (not to mention skill) that this has taken. Even those of us who have no idea what is entailed are grateful for your efforts. I'm about to disappear for a few weeks (vacation, nothing more serious) but wanted to make sure my last post before I left was to thank you. All of your hard work is truly appreciated.

Liam

Administrator
Yeah, I'm sorry to lose all the flags. They were very functional and, dare I say it, pretty. They just added a little something to each thread.

Verkhovensky

Hi all, newest member of this forum here. I had much problems with registration. First, clicking 'Register' gave me an error (I circumvented this by first clicking 'Login' and then 'You don't have an account, register here'). Then, I had a problem with confirming my e-mail adress - firstly, it was constantly put in my spam folder ; secondly, confirmation link was dead. Eventually, I realised confirmation link was missing ".com" abbrevation - it was something like www.worldliteratureforum/registration/blablabla instead of www.worldliteratureforum.com/registration/blablabla. I manually changed the link and voilà, I'm here. I just hope I haven't got any viruses from this :)

I sent a message through Contact us form, but it was before I realised what is the problem.

I'm sorry if this isn't a right place to post this.

Last edited:

Titivillus

Hi all, newest member of this forum here. I had much problems with registration. First, clicking 'Register' gave me an error (I circumvented this by first clicking 'Login' and then 'You don't have an account, register here'). Then, I had a problem with confirming my e-mail adress - firstly, it was constantly put in my spam folder ; secondly, confirmation link was dead. Eventually, I realised confirmation link was missing ".com" abbrevation - it was something like www.worldliteratureforum/registration/blablabla instead of www.worldliteratureforum.com/registration/blablabla. I manually changed the link and voilà, I'm here. I just hope I haven't got any viruses from this :)

I sent a message through Contact us form, but it was before I realised what is the problem.

Thank you so much!!!

I had the same problems but thanks to your post I was able to solve them.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Thanks, Verkhovensky. I've been posting here for a while, but realized my account was linked to an old email I no longer had access to. When I tried to change it, I ran into the same issues you mentioned, but it's all good now

Bartleby

Is your name inspired by dostoevsky's Demons? BTW, welcome to our forum :)

Verkhovensky

Is your name inspired by dostoevsky's Demons? BTW, welcome to our forum :)

Is your name inspired by Melville's Bartleby, or by Vila-Matas' book Bartleby and co.? :p

Yes, I read the book recently and tought it would be a nice nickname on a literature forum. Thanks for the welcome.

Bartleby

Is your name inspired by Melville's Bartleby, or by Vila-Matas' book Bartleby and co.? :p

Yes, I read the book recently and tought it would be a nice nickname on a literature forum. Thanks for the welcome.
Mellvile's :)
I actually have not read Demons all the way through. I once began, but then I thought of leaving it for later.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Ability to edit signature would be welcome.
As far as I can see, based on the permissions, you can. I see you have a signature, so just want to confirm if you managed it or if that's an old one and you still can't edit.