Franz Kafka

Daniel del Real

I liked The Process and some of his short stories, but started twice The Castle and both times stopped near the middle of the book (even if I liked it).

Same thing happened to me Manuel. Lot of years ago I read Metamorphosis, The Trial and some other short stories and truy loved all of his works, specially The Trial.
Last year I bought The Castle, and left it in the middle. It's not I didn't like or that I couldn't get into the story; I guess it wasn't the right time to read and it and that's why I dropped. Hope to re-take it later this year,

I like Kafka, however his words are hard and ruge. Everytime I read him I feel depressed. I don't know why but he's really tiring (not boring or bad). He had a a style of writing that only he had, it made him very original. I don't guess he's bad, instead, he was good - but even this, he's tiring.

titania7

Reader
Daniel del Real said:
Same thing happened to me Manuel. Lot of years ago I read Metamorphosis, The Trial and some other short stories and truy loved all of his works, specially The Trial.
Last year I bought The Castle, and left it in the middle. It's not I didn't like or that I couldn't get into the story; I guess it wasn't the right time to read and it and that's why I dropped. Hope to re-take it later this year,

Perhaps, the translation was the problem, Daniel. Which translation of The Castle was it?

~Alexis

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle~

Manuel76

Reader

For me both times didn't seem to be the right time...I started to think there was something strange with the book...

My translation is from D.J.Vogelmann into spanish, but it seems to be allright, after all I liked the art I read.

Daniel del Real

Perhaps, the translation was the problem, Daniel. Which translation of The Castle was it?

~Alexis

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle~

Have no idea, but it was a translation to Spanish by Alianza Editorial. Don't think that was the problem, it was more that I didn't wanted to get on a book like that when my life was pretty much the same at that time.

Have no idea, but it was a translation to Spanish by Alianza Editorial. Don't think that was the problem, it was more that I didn't wanted to get on a book like that when my life was pretty much the same at that time.

I guess Kafka's work has all possible darkness inside them.I get bored everytime I see Kafka's pic. I admite, I like his texts, but they're not perfect, they have some beauty, however -.

sirena

Reader
I read "The Trial" long time ago, but I remember that it was like as I walked in someone elses nightmare.

Few years ago I returned to Kafka and read "The Castle" and I liked it. It's similar to "The Trial", but somehow less confusing.

On my shelf I have "The Metamorphosis" waiting and longing to be read, for a long time now.

I've heard that Kafka's short stories are pretty good. So, could you recommend me something?

Daniel del Real

Few years ago I returned to Kafka and read "The Castle" and I liked it. It's similar to "The Trial", but somehow less confusing.

For me it was just the opposite. I first read The Trial and loved it. Then a few years later tried The Castle, and couldn't finish it. For me that was the confusing one :p

waalkwriter

Reader
The Metamorphosis is a truly disturbing work, but it does ring to people doesn't it? Because how often have we felt that way? I certainly felt that way while working as a Senate Page. It's beautiful, terse, and contained work that speaks to multitude of interpretations while still being populated by these horrifically realistic passages and very eerily realistic characters, including a main character you can't help but support. The story is always true to itself, and it's impact on other writers cannot be understated.

Many have spent the last 80 years trying to recapture that sense of horror and alienation. No one has done so.

Clarissa

Reader
Found this depressing from every angle...

BBC News - Israel in legal battle over Kafka's papers

Common knowledge - Kafka wanted his unpublished work destroyed. Max Brod went against his wishes and, thanks to him, we have the 'unfinished' works that belong to the greats of the literary canon worldwide.

This vulturelike tearing apart of his literary remains would not have been in accordance with Kafka's wishes. One can only hope that new work will come to light and perhaps enlighten the readers a little more about this strange, fascinating, immensely gifted writer.

The biggest little Eureka since Jung's Red Book. Good snaggle from the presses :eek: :) ;) the enforced entombment of those treasures is near as criminal as that businessman's aim to be cremated with the Portrait of Doctor Gachet. What a wild story, about the secretary of Max Brod; such dedication and the hand of the state tsk tsk telling us what is for our good before we ourselves can know it! Bad example for the kinder (in Yiddish children).

Last edited:

Eric

Former Member
Please, ExplodedHeights, respect the other members of this forum and engage with us. Some things are funny as a joke, but begin to pall when continued for too long.

Eric

Former Member
Well, I'd rather be covertly obnoxious than covertly nutty.

Has no one got anything to say about the fact that they're opening vaults in Israel and finding unpublished Kafka material? I find that rather big news, really, considering the fact that Kafka is regarded as rather important if you want to write an essay at university on Modernism.

But then again, aren't we supposed to boycott all news from Israel?

Headline:
Scribbles by Prague Jew found in the Zionist Entity. Grumbly old descendants of Max Brod sulking. Who cares?

abecedarian

Reader
Well, I'd rather be covertly obnoxious than covertly nutty.

Has no one got anything to say about the fact that they're opening vaults in Israel and finding unpublished Kafka material? I find that rather big news, really, considering the fact that Kafka is regarded as rather important if you want to write an essay at university on Modernism.

But then again, aren't we supposed to boycott all news from Israel?

Headline:

I saw this in my local paper this morning and thought of this discussion. Whether Kafka wanted his unpublished materials burned or not, here they are. The chance to understand him more fully is an amazing opportunity.

Yes, I must be this 'no one' like Odysseus before me as I am the only one to comment on the article. He acts as if he did not even read it.