Franz Kafka

Eric

Former Member
Haaretz had this article:

Kafka correspondence with other writers discovered - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

The newspaper, published in the Zionist Entity, says the following:

The safe deposit boxes contained a huge number of Kafka and Brod's letters and manuscripts, including a never before seen handwritten anuscript of a previously published short story by Kafka. The handwritten manuscript is of great research value since Kafka's publications over the years had been edited by Brod, who was also the author's executor.

The safe deposit boxes' content was released for publication after a Tel Aviv court earlier this week rejected a gag order requested by Eva Hoffe, the Israeli woman who inherited the documents from her mother, Esther Hoffe.

Brod left his estate to Esther Hoffe, who had served as his secretary. The literary treasure was discovered during the trial that has been underway for two years over Brod's estate, whose contents were held in a number of safe-deposit boxes in Israel and Switzerland under Eva Hoffe's control.

Perhaps one should be glad that the Kafka material wasn't deposited in the Gaza Strip. You can make a lot of roll-ups from the paper used to create Kafka manuscripts and letters.

I am not responsible for the Haaretz neologism "anuscript" which sounds like a rearguard action.

By the way, we tend to call him "Ulysses".

Utopia

I'm in love with Kafka. ;)
When I first read the "Prozess" I could really feel the mood. It was so frightening but awesome. It's hard to describe, in Kafkas novels is always a sad and frightening mood, which I particularly like. Kafka is a special writer.

Liam

Administrator
A boxed set of "new" translations of Kafka's major works from Oxford World's Classics. Not sure how new these are, but looking at the list of translators I only recognize Anthea Bell.

41OTf7WCAUL._SS500_.jpg

jstepp58

Kafka Ebook Republished

Franz Kafka was one of the authors I fell in love with as a college student. But, none of my friends know anything about Kafka. In an effort to make my two favorite novels easy to find and affordable, I republished The Metamorphosis and The Trial in ebook format for Kindle.

I just wanted to share the information here. My hope is that other college students will come to know Kafka the way I did, and this ebook will help them to do that, all in one document.

Thanks!
John

Kafka - The Metamorphosis and The Trial (Kindle)

Sisyphus

Reader
Re: Kafka Ebook Republished

I'm curious to read Das Schloss and some of his short stories. I might buy his complete works since it's available in one volume in German and it's very cheap

cauldbairn

Reader
I find he's a writer that one has to trust. There's sometimes a few moments of prose that can feel like a chore to get through, but after a couple of pages or so there's a moment of clarity, of great human feeling, or there's a revelation that puts it all into a different light. This was definitely the case in The Castle. I have a great respect for writers who can do that.

Leseratte

Thanks, Bartleby, just book marked what seems to be an interesting collection.
To those, that haven´t read anything of Kafka yet, I recommend his early incomplete novel Amerika (Der Verschollene). The recent translation Amerika: The Missing Person has been largely praised:

I'm in love with Kafka. ;)
When I first read the "Prozess" I could really feel the mood. It was so frightening but awesome. It's hard to describe, in Kafkas novels is always a sad and frightening mood, which I particularly like. Kafka is a special writer.
Yeah, it is called paranoia! If i want to feel paranoia, I will go off my meds.

Daydreamer

Yeah, it is called paranoia! If i want to feel paranoia, I will go off my meds.
Yes. Kafka gets under my skin, like a deer tick.

It's not so much the overwhelming bureaucracy. It's more the way everyone jumps to the worst possible conclusion about everything. Like being stuck inside the brain of a trauma victim.

Ben Jackson

I can't really say I'm a fan of Kafka, but I respect him. The Trial and The Metamorphosis are two works I can't forget. I hope to read his short stories and his letters/diaries.

Leseratte

I can't really say I'm a fan of Kafka, but I respect him. The Trial and The Metamorphosis are two works I can't forget. I hope to read his short stories and his letters/diaries.
I also find it difficult to like Kafka, but one doesn't forget him. If you want a more likable Kafka, Ben , try America.