Guido Morselli

Liam

Administrator
Guido Morselli (1912-1973) was an Italian author and essayist. He remained more or less unknown until his death (by suicide), his manuscripts returned to him by the publishers who perceived no particular merit in his work. Morselli is known today as an extremely versatile author, working simultaneously in the realist, speculative, sci-fi and non-fictional genres. The NYRB Classics has recently released one of his first (extremely "realist") novels, The Communist (1976). His speculative masterpiece The Vanishing (Dissipatio H. G., 1977) is meanwhile forthcoming in a brand new translation. He is someone I have never heard of before, and sounds interesting. He was, also, an attractive man, very "easy on the eyes," :)

Guido_Morselli.jpg

tiganeasca

I've had a book of his, Divertimento 1889, for ages. It's a pretty slender affair. I've somehow never gotten around to reading it, though, so thanks for the suggestion. I'll pull it out and take a look. I seem to have a bit more time on my hands these days.... ?

tiganeasca

For those who are (or should be!) interested, New York Review Books is publishing another of Morselli's works, Dissipatio H.G. It is a novel about the last man on earth, a survivor of the sudden disappearance of the human race. Morselli completed it shortly before committing suicide in 1973. Given the small number of Morselli's works available in English, it's a welcome event. I look forward to getting it and reading it.

Liam

Administrator
I love the NYRB Classics series. They're probably one of the most (if not THE most) worthwhile publishers around.