Indian Literature

kpjayan

Reader

Ben Jackson

Indian writers I have to read:

Robinson Mistry, Rushdie, Tagore, Lahiri, Ghosh, Radhakrishnan, Vikram Seth, Mukherjee, Mohsin Hamid, Narayan.

Also books like White Tiger, Mahabrahata, Upanishads, Ramayana also.

kpjayan

Reader
Indian writers I have to read:

Robinson Mistry, Rushdie, Tagore, Lahiri, Ghosh, Radhakrishnan, Vikram Seth, Mukherjee, Mohsin Hamid, Narayan.

Also books like White Tiger, Mahabrahata, Upanishads, Ramayana also.
Mistry, Rushdie, Lahiri etc aren't technically Indian. They have Indian heritage.. Mohsin Hamid is also a British Novelist with Pakistani Origins.

Radhakrishnan had written a huge 2 volume book on Indian Philosophy. Amitav Ghosh, Vikram Seth and R K Narayan wrote in English.

You may want to try some of the writers from Indian Languages Hindi, Tamil, Kannada,Malayalam, Telugu,Gujarati, Marathi,Bengali, Odiya etc.. few names are already in various discussions here...

kpjayan

Reader
Today is the birth anniversary of one of the pioneers of Kannada Poetry. This article is a bit complex to understand and comprehend. 12 Century 'Vachana Poets' paved a way for a new philiosophical , religious and spiritual movement through their poems ( vachana - verse ) in Karnataka which seems to have gained a lot more acceptance in the last few decades. A K Ramanujam has widely translated these 'vachanas' into English.

Basabanna, Akkamahadevi, Allama Prabhu etc are some of the main architects of the Vachana poetry.

Leseratte

Today is the birth anniversary of one of the pioneers of Kannada Poetry. This article is a bit complex to understand and comprehend. 12 Century 'Vachana Poets' paved a way for a new philiosophical , religious and spiritual movement through their poems ( vachana - verse ) in Karnataka which seems to have gained a lot more acceptance in the last few decades. A K Ramanujam has widely translated these 'vachanas' into English.

Basabanna, Akkamahadevi, Allama Prabhu etc are some of the main architects of the Vachana poetry.

Absolutely loved this mapping out of a "popular inclusive community of spiritual democracy initiated by Basava and other Sharanas". It looks like a spiritual revolution in relation to what is more common known outside India, as Indian religiosity and social systems.

kpjayan

Reader

tiganeasca

Esterine Kire, is the prominent voice from the North East Literary scene. While she writers in English, they are very local to the region and culture.

Very interesting interview. Thanks for this; I guess I need to add her work to my list. At this rate, I'll only need to live to about 149 to read everything I need to!

kpjayan

Reader

Arguably, only potential Nobel Candidate from India. Well, he turned 90 recently.

( not sure if an access is needed )

kpjayan

Reader

Bartleby

I love these writers who dream big ?

I’m chasing the Nobel Prize in Literature. I’m chasing immortality. It’s the stupidest thing to do, but I want to be read 300 years from now. I want to write magnificently. I want people to look at me and say, how does he do that ? I want my books to open and stardust to burst out.

All jokes aside, I'm genuinely curious as for the quality of his works. Has anyone read him? Em and the Big Hoom seems to be his most important novel...

kpjayan

Reader
All jokes aside, I'm genuinely curious as for the quality of his works. Has anyone read him? Em and the Big Hoom seems to be his most important novel...
Well, I will bite the bait..

Jerry Pinto is fairly popular as a writer and translator. Usually a regular attraction in the Literary Festivals around India. There are lot of fan-followers among my reader friends. I haven't read a great deal of him, hence cant make a learnt opinion. Do read him, though.

..and don't bother about the catchy headlines from Telegraph. They seems to have succeeded in their intention :)