Indian Literature

DouglasM

Reader
Editora Moinhos is publishing Janice Pariat's The Nine-Chambered Heart in Brazil for the first time. Is anyone familiar with the novel? If so, what are your impressions of it? It's rare for an Indian author to be translated here, though of course it being written in English has helped.

kpjayan

Reader
I haven't read the book, while I've heard the name before ( Young Writers Award from the 'Sahitya Academy' etc,) not really came across the name in any of the discussions I have with my friends. Interesting to note that she had been translated and available in Brazil, probably they have found something good about the book.

DouglasM

Reader
Thanks for the feedback, Jayan. I honestly had never heard her name prior to this announcement. Don't know what to expect, but will probably check on her next year.

kpjayan

Reader
Sugathakumari ( 1934- 2020), Malayalam Poet, passed away today after a brief illness, due to CIVID-19 complications. She was one of the doyens of Malayalam Literature.

Night Rain ( Raathri Mazha)

Rain-at-night, like some young mad woman
for nothing weeping, laughing, whimpering,
muttering, without a stop
and sitting huddled up
tossing her long hair.

Rain-at-night,
pensive daughter of the dusky night
gliding slowly like a long wail
into this hospital
extending her cold fingers
through the window
and touching me.

Rain-at-night,
When groans and shudders
and sharp voices
and the sudden anguished cry of a mother
shake me, and I put my hand to my ears
and sob, tossing on my sick bed
you, like a dear one coming through the gloom with comforting words.

Somebody said, a diseased part can be cut and removed
but what can be done to the poor heart
deeply diseased ?

Rain-at-night,
witness to my love,
Who lulled me to sleep
giving me joy more than the moonlight did;
The bright moonlight
which in my auspicious nights
made me laugh made me thrill with joy.

Rain-at-night,
now witness to my grief
when I toss and turn
on my sweltering bed of sickness
in the sleepless hours of the night
and forgetting even to weep alone,
slowly freeze into a stone.

Let me tell you,
Rain-at -Night
I know your music,
kind and sad
Your pity and your suppressed rage,
Your coming in the night,
Your sobbing and weeping when all alone;
And when it is dawn
You wiping your face and forcing a smile
Your hurry and your putting on an act;
How do I know all this ?
My friend, I, too am like you
Like you,
Rain-at - Night.

Last edited:

Litreal

I have read all the novels written by Arun Joshi. I recommend his novels to anyone who wants to dive into Indian English fiction. Joshi's novels are psychological and philosophical at the same time. They are truly representative of the Indian culture and diversity.
Here are the links to some of his works in Kindle format:

kpjayan

Reader

His magnum Opus 'Bhrashtu' is available in translation as 'Outcaste'. https://www.amazon.in/Outcaste-Matampu-Kunhukuttan/dp/9388292499

On a personal note, he is my paternal uncle on my wife's side. I've had many insightful conversations with him on various topics. On that front, it is a personal loss to me.

kpjayan

Reader
Quick look at some of the doyens of Kannada Literature ...

Leseratte

Quick look at some of the doyens of Kannada Literature ...

Overview:
Bharatiya Jnanpith Award( Kannada poetry):
1904- Kuvempu Sri Ramayana Darshanam
1963?-Dattatreya Ramachandra Bendre - Naaku Tanti (Four Strings)
1978- Shivaram Karanth ("Tagore of Modern India")- the literary movement Navodaya
1983- Masti Venkatesha Iyengar- Chikaveera Rajendra
1988 - Girish Karnad- Hayavadhana (mytical adaptions of the Mahabharata and Ramayana)
1990- Vinayaka Krishna Gokak- Bharatha Sindhu Rashmi.
1994- U. R. Anantha Murthy (international renown)
2010- Chandrashekhara Kadambara - for his contribution to Kannada theatre and poetry
That´s quite a feat! It seems though that most of these authors that write in Kannada still remain inaccessible outside the language.
And what about woman authors?

kpjayan

Reader
U R Ananthamurthy , Girish Karnad are videly translated and well known. Kuvempu , Shivarama Karanth and Chandrashekhara Kambaar are also quite well translated within Indian Languages and to some extend in English.

These are only the names that won the Jnanpith Award, which is the biggest literary award in India. Kannada Literature is vast and dense and has a long legacy.

kpjayan

Reader
^^
Specific to Kannada Literature, these are some of the prominent women writers. They aren't as well represented in 'translation' as their male counterparts, I would say.

Akka Mahadevi
: 12th Century mystic/ shaivite poet. A K Ramanujam has done a commendable job in translating some of her verses.

Vaidehi, Triveni, Prathibha Nandakumar, Malathi Rao are some of the prominent names. I admit,to my shame, I haven't read these writers and have to make some amends. I've read the vahana/poetry of Akka Mahadevi, though.

kpjayan

Reader
Bengali Writer, Buddhadeb Guha is no more... Post -Covid complications..

I've read only one book of his so far, which probably was a wrong choice.

tiganeasca

A new (to me) and intriguing website: The Curious Reader has a list of "10 Translated Works by Indian Regional Authors." I've read several (thanks, Jayan!) but most are new to me and, of course, must now go on the list (if not the pile!).

kpjayan

Reader
Remember seeing this. I've read all but one ( Umrao Jan - watched the movie adaptation). As can be said about every list, it is limited by their understanding and interests. Cobalt Blue, The Fakir ( and Gachar Gochar ) will not be in any list I make.

Stevie B

Current Member
Remember seeing this. I've read all but one ( Umrao Jan - watched the movie adaptation). As can be said about every list, it is limited by their understanding and interests. Cobalt Blue, The Fakir ( and Gachar Gochar ) will not be in any list I make.
I recall that you weren’t very impressed by Ghachar Ghochar, but I found it to be one of the best books I read last year. For me, it wasn’t so much the storyline that impressed as it was the author’s control. I’m curious what you thought about Chemmeen. I read a few sample pages of this book recently and there was something clunky about the writing. Wasn’t sure if it was the translation or the story itself. Perhaps I needed to give the book more of a chance. Also, any thoughts on VJ James?

Last edited:

tiganeasca

I recall that you weren’t very impressed by Ghachar Ghochar, but I found it to be one of the best books I read last year. For me, it wasn’t so much the storyline that impressed than it was the author’s control. I’m curious what you thought about Chemmeen. I read a few sample pages of this book recently and there was something clunky about the writing. Wasn’t sure if it was the translation or the story itself. Perhaps I needed to give the book more of a chance. Also, any thoughts on VJ James?

I, too, will be curious for Jayan's take on Chemmeen, especially since he recommended it to me. I'll simply say it was in my top 10 for the year, probably my top 5. (Along with Legends of Khasak, for that matter--also on the list--which I thought even better. In fact, elsewhere, you can see that I just bought a book of short stories by the author of Khasak; that's how impressed I was with that book!) I found the translation clunky too and given the quality of the book as a whole, I attribute it entirely to the translation (which should carry a great deal of weight given my superb fluency in Malayalam ?). It's a true pity, but I would unreservedly recommend the book.