International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award

Bartleby

This reminds me that Rádio Londres acquired the rights for Milkman's translation back when it won the Booker Prize in 2018 and still hasn't published it to this day.
I had asked them about it earlier this year and they said they’d publish it by the end of 2020 (don’t remember if it was October or November)... maybe things got complicated due to covid and all... I’m really interested in seeing how it has been translated, the writing is so peculiar, it would need a very good translator to make it justice.

edit: found it. In a post from July. They said it would be out in October. Don’t see it happening this month tho; they haven’t announced it yet... it’ll probably see the light of day next year, if so.

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
It's strange how frequently this happens. I don't understand why publishing houses buy the rights to books and then never publish them.
It's nothing strange or unusual, actually, the movie industry works the same way. It's called "anticipating momentum." They're doing it in advance when rights are still cheap, and can capitalize on it at any time (for as long as the contract holds).

I watched a curious little documentary about Gone with the Wind recently, and they said that Selznick Studios acquired the rights to the book before it was even published (their reader got a hold of an advance copy)--and then SAT ON IT, unwilling to do anything until the novel became a bestseller. Only then did pre-production activity begin.

I imagine it's the same in the publishing business.

There's also the story of Jane Austen, who sold her first novel to a publisher who then did NOTHING with it. She bought the rights back a few years later, revised the plot, and the book was published posthumously as Northanger Abbey (to this day, I consider it to be among Austen's best).

So I guess this phenomenon is as old as the publishing business itself, :)

Bartleby

Oh I wasn’t tracking this year’s award’s dates, so this shortlist came as a surprise:

Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo

Lost Children Archive by Valeria Luiselli

Apeirogon by Colum McCann

Hurricane Season by Fernanda Melchor

On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong

The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead

don’t know what to think of this selection... hope the Melchor wins at last...

the winner will be announced 20 May.

Liam

Administrator
don’t know what to think of this selection
Conceptual garbage, for the most part. Can't comment on Melchor or McCann (who's usually very good), but reading or trying to read Evaristo, Vuong and Whitehead felt like my brain was being waterboarded. Only somewhat interested in Luiselli. Somewhat consoled that Atwood wasn't nominated, that would have been the last straw, ?

Liam

Administrator
I actually don't dislike Atwood and even though there are issues one might take up with The Handmaid's Tale, at least that book occupies a certain place in literary history, it is an interesting and perhaps necessary look at a theocratic dystopia representing (in Atwood's opinion) the ultimate totalitarianism of patriarchy.

I found The Testaments to break no new ground in that regard; the timing of the novel was also suspicious. Coming directly on the heels of the successful Hulu show, it was obviously a cash-grabbing attempt on the part of the author. Which is fine with me, I don't begrudge Atwood the money, in fact I want writers to be financially successful (otherwise toiling in obscurity for no reward at all is just... horrible), but contrariwise it doesn't mean that the book suddenly deserves any of the literary accolades that were suddenly heaped upon it by the (no doubt) well-meaning public.

Did The Testaments deserve to be a best-seller? Yes, clearly, since people were buying it, people were reading it, people were interested in investing their time in it. Did it deserve to win prizes is another question entirely, and my answer to that is no, because the book is structurally problematic, breaks no new ground in the dystopian genre, the writing is loose (in places almost lazy), and afterwards you are left with the feeling that the whole thing was rushed (by Atwood, by her agent, by her publisher, who knows) to take advantage, while the interest in the Hulu show still lingers, of the public demand for more Gilead material.

Additionally, I realize that book prizes are individually guided by the particular selection of chairs/judges for that specific year, but it was beyond ridiculous that out of all the books published in English that year, many of which were better written, better constructed, and offered much more in terms of literary originality, the prize (in this case, Booker) finally went to one of the most lackluster books on the longlist. I wasn't a big fan of Evaristo's book either, in fact, I thought it was laugh-out-loud BAD in places, but at least it had vitality.

Again, I stress the fact that I have nothing against Atwood as an author in general: The Blind Assassin is one of my favorite books! I just had an extremely allergic reaction to The Testaments, but who knows, perhaps I will reread it in ten years' time and change my opinion: perhaps there's more to it than I was able to see after the first (admittedly, hasty) reading.

^ Thank you for your considered response. I too love The Blind Assassin. I didn't read The Testaments. I probably had a similar allergy but I didn't bother to read it. I am a big fan of Atwood. I started reading her early work in college and left off when her books no longer jived with my concerns. I am probably the right age to go back and pick up where I left off.

Daniel del Real

Conceptual garbage, for the most part. Can't comment on Melchor or McCann (who's usually very good), but reading or trying to read Evaristo, Vuong and Whitehead felt like my brain was being waterboarded. Only somewhat interested in Luiselli. Somewhat consoled that Atwood wasn't nominated, that would have been the last straw, ?

Melchor and Luiselli are SO OVERRATED. Hope none of them win. Melchor just published a nouvelle last month called Páradais and she's everywhere, so pumped up by the media it's frankly annoying.
I read the Underground Railroad and I found it, if not great, at least very entertaining. Why don't you like Whitehead?

hayden

For what it's worth, I found The Nickel Boys far better than The Underground Railroad. Made for a much smoother read.

As for the award, I'm under the impression Vuong will win.

The only one of these I've attempted is the Vuong. I got about 50 pages in. I wanted to like it, but it was ultimately a failure as far as I'm concerned.

If he were to win I would be disappointed. The writing was poor, and structure was underdeveloped, the characters were difficult to picture or understand. It needed more time in the oven so that the techniques that he was trying to use - vignettes, much like Duras or Kim This - could actually be successful.

I enjoy Luiselli. The Story of My Teeth was a thoroughly enjoyable romp, and had some original, good-though-not-exceptional writing. This new book interests me, but not so much that I have picked it up yet.

Daniel del Real

Why trash? Did you hate the book or you hate her?
Her. I haven't read the book. I read her first two novels, that somehow were also highly praised and couldn't find any value there. Her prose is just terrible, so dull, plain, it's like reading a very mediocre newspaper chronicle. Now she couldn't properly writer in her mother tongue and now she thinks se can excel in English? It's just ridiculous. Probably she found out her translators did her a favor with her prose and decided to follow that way.

Ludus

Reader
Her. I haven't read the book. I read her first two novels, that somehow were also highly praised and couldn't find any value there. Her prose is just terrible, so dull, plain, it's like reading a very mediocre newspaper chronicle. Now she couldn't properly writer in her mother tongue and now she thinks se can excel in English? It's just ridiculous. Probably she found out her translators did her a favor with her prose and decided to follow that way.

She grew up in South Africa, her father was a diplomat and she lived in India and Korea too. She might be a better writer in English cuz she might have learned English first...

I have read her essays in "Papeles Falsos" and it was not bad, but massively overrated by Mexican critics. Not really interested in her novels, but I might give "Tell Me How It Ends" a try.

Daniel del Real

She grew up in South Africa, her father was a diplomat and she lived in India and Korea too. She might be a better writer in English cuz she might have learned English first...

I had no idea. Probably she should have started writing in English and thus avoided me spending money and time in those two "librajos".
Her husband is a better writer and he's just regular.

Bartleby

The shortlist for this year's prize is:

• Noopiming: The Cure for White Ladies by Leanne Betasamosake Simpson
  • The Art of Falling by Danielle McLaughlin
  • The Death of Vivek Oji by Akwaeke Emezi
  • At Night All Blood is Black by David Diop, translated by Anna Moschovakis
  • Remote Sympathy by Catherine Chidgey
  • The Art of Losing by Alice Zeniter, translated by Frank Wynne

Apart from the David Diop book (winner of the 2021 International Booker) I've never heard of any of these books or authors... does anyone know them?

Stevie B

Current Member
The shortlist for this year's prize is:

• Noopiming: The Cure for White Ladies by Leanne Betasamosake Simpson
  • The Art of Falling by Danielle McLaughlin
  • The Death of Vivek Oji by Akwaeke Emezi
  • At Night All Blood is Black by David Diop, translated by Anna Moschovakis
  • Remote Sympathy by Catherine Chidgey
  • The Art of Losing by Alice Zeniter, translated by Frank Wynne

Apart from the David Diop book (winner of the 2021 International Booker) I've never heard of any of these books or authors... does anyone know them?

Just like you, I'm only familiar with David Diop. It's a pleasant surprise to be introduced to so many new names.