International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award

peter_d

Reader
Re: 2018 International Dublin Literary Award

The 2018 longlist appeared, 150(!) books are in the running.

104 originally written in English, 46 in translation:

7 from German and Spanish
6 from Dutch
4 from French and Norwegian
3 from Italian
2 from Finnish, Hebrew, Portuguese, Serbian and Slovene
1 from Croatian, Czech, Danish, Korean, Swedish

redhead

Blahblahblah

Those long lists have always confused me. I used to think it was just a list of all the nominated books, but some reactions this year suggest its not. What's even the point of a long list that long?

tiganeasca

Those long lists have always confused me. I used to think it was just a list of all the nominated books, but some reactions this year suggest its not. What's even the point of a long list that long?

Agree completely. It seems more like an exercise in making sure no one's feelings are hurt by being omitted....

Daniel del Real

Mostly unknown names. I've read Marie Ndiaye (not with this novel) and of course heard of Hang Kang with The Vegetarian.
I read the book by Yuri Herrera which is good but not his best.

kpjayan

Reader

^ Read those three names you mentioned. Looks like an interesting selection..

Bartleby

2019's finalists:

A Boy in Winter by Rachel Seiffert
Compass by Mathias Énard, tr. Charlotte Mandell
Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney
Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund
Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie
Idaho by Emily Ruskovich
Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
Midwinter Break by Bernard MacLaverty
Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor

Another prize for Saunders to win :p

Winner is announced 12 June.

Bartleby

Due to this current crisis the International Dublin Literary Award decided to indefinitely postpone the announcement of this year’s shortlist, which would be revealed April 2nd.

I can’t see the reason for this, they could still just post the shortlist online, as well as hold discussions among the judges via online conference. No need for public parties or ceremonies to be held. This announcement of the shortlist was something I was looking forward to and I’m certain would keep people busy at their homes in excitement over new books to read...

tiganeasca

Just to save someone else the thirty seconds, the 2019 winner was Emily Ruskovich for Idaho.

And though I don't quite share the eagerness of a certain Bartleby :LOL:, I do agree that there is no apparent reason that this really needs to be put off. This is the 20th century after all! (Oops. 21st.)

Bartleby

Just to save someone else the thirty seconds, the 2019 winner was Emily Ruskovich for Idaho.
Oh, shoot, forgot to post it haha

btw, I’m very keen on reading this title, but I can only see it winning over Lincoln in the Bardo for the judges might have thought, Well this here book has received enough attention already. Let’s give it to the second best one ?

ditto for Compass. Which makes it third best? Just kidding. I’m clearly just basing these thoughts on the amount of prizes and acclaim these said books have previously won.

and the Dublin literary award page on Facebook just liked my ranty comment (basically the same one from the one above, just changed the pronouns) LOL
And responded back with one of those ready-made polite responses. Well, guess they did what they had to do... just hope this crisis soon ends and everything turns back to normal...

Last edited:

Eynmisan

It's one of my favourite prizes and the shortlist came out today:

• The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker (British)
  • Milkman by Anna Burns (Irish)
  • Disoriental by Négar Djavadi (Iranian-French)
  • Washington Black by Esi Edugyan (Canadian)
  • An American Marriage by Tayari Jones (US)
  • History of Violence by Édouard Louis (French)
  • The Friend by Sigrid Nunez (US)
  • There There by Tommy Orange (Native American)
  • All the Lives We Never Lived by Anuradha Roy (Indian)
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk (Polish)
Of those, I have only read Milkman, which was very good, and I have There There on my shelf. I heard good thing about The Friend, but I don't care about dogs; and it's always nice to see Tokarczuk and Roy on any list. All in all a nice mixture of established and new authors.

Bartleby

It's one of my favourite prizes and the shortlist came out today:

• The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker (British)
  • Milkman by Anna Burns (Irish)
  • Disoriental by Négar Djavadi (Iranian-French)
  • Washington Black by Esi Edugyan (Canadian)
  • An American Marriage by Tayari Jones (US)
  • History of Violence by Édouard Louis (French)
  • The Friend by Sigrid Nunez (US)
  • There There by Tommy Orange (Native American)
  • All the Lives We Never Lived by Anuradha Roy (Indian)
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk (Polish)
Of those, I have only read Milkman, which was very good, and I have There There on my shelf. I heard good thing about The Friend, but I don't care about dogs; and it's always nice to see Tokarczuk and Roy on any list. All in all a nice mixture of established and new authors.
Oh freaking finally! I thought they’d follow right away on the steps of the Booker prizes, but it took a while...
I’ve only read Milkman and Drive Your Plow... both were enjoyable, but I was more impressed by the former, I must say.
Has anyone read There There? It’s received so much attention but I just never found the motivation to check it out...

Stevie B

Current Member
Re: 2017 International Dublin Literary Award Shortlist

I hope to God that Enright's book doesn't hinge on a child being molested. She uses it every time, :rolleyes:.
I realize this is an older post, Liam, but it reminded me of Tarantino and his ubiquitous torture scenes. Move on to something else, dude! (dude = Tarantino, not you :))

Stevie B

Current Member
Has anyone read There There? It’s received so much attention but I just never found the motivation to check it out...
I skimmed some pages at a bookstore, thinking this could be a book for me (as someone who spent a semester on the Navajo Reservation and who is interested in Native cultures). I didn't buy the book. I can't recall why, but I found something about the book a little off-putting.

hayden

knowing that The Book of Jacob will be coming out in English next year I’d sort of rather this doesn’t win something so that much larger work can.

Apparently it's excellent. I don't go too much for recent doorstoppers, even by authors I'm fond of, but I'm certainly going to make an exception for this. I remember reading somewhere last year that The Book of Jacob was most likely what solidified her Nobel win. I would attempt to read it in French (which I somewhat know, just not fluently), but considering it's 1000+ pages, I think I'll just wait for the English in a few months time.

As for this award, I've read three less off the list than you have (only Tokarczuk). Won't weigh-in on who I think will win.

DouglasM

Reader
The winner of the 2020 International Dublin Literary Award is Milkman by Anna Burns.

This reminds me that Rádio Londres acquired the rights for Milkman's translation back when it won the Booker Prize in 2018 and still hasn't published it to this day.

Stevie B

Current Member
This reminds me that Rádio Londres acquired the rights for Milkman's translation back when it won the Booker Prize in 2018 and still hasn't published it to this day.
It's strange how frequently this happens. I don't understand why publishing houses buy the rights to books and then never publish them.