Khaled Khalifa (1964-2023)

tiganeasca

The Syrian novelist died at the very early age of 59. He wrote everything from screenplays to poetry as well as a number of well-regarded novels. In Praise of Hatred was shortlisted for the International Prize for Arabic Fiction. No Knives in the Kitchens of This City won the 2013 Naguib Mahfouz Medal for Literature (and was his second book to be shortlisted for the International Prize for Arabic Fiction. There are nice remembrances here, here, and here.

Morbid Swither

Devastating news, I was just reading notice of his passing elsewhere before I came here. Such a talented writer. I had preordered his novel No One Prayed Over Their Graves and finished it by the end of the month it released this summer. Incredible. A great writer in Arabic and I imagine a possible Nobel laureate.
RIP

hayden

I read his novel Death Is Hard Work a few years ago... (still think it was butchered in translation... but worth the short read) . Very
Abbas Kiarostami-esque.

Sad to hear about this. Still very young.

Ben Jackson

The Syrian novelist died at the very early age of 59. He wrote everything from screenplays to poetry as well as a number of well-regarded novels. In Praise of Hatred was shortlisted for the International Prize for Arabic Fiction. No Knives in the Kitchens of This City won the 2013 Naguib Mahfouz Medal for Literature (and was his second book to be shortlisted for the International Prize for Arabic Fiction. There are nice remembrances here, here, and here.

Good thing you posted about this writer, but it seems there's an error. You posted obituary of this writer as (1964--1923). I'm very sure the world's not going backward ?

tiganeasca

Good thing you posted about this writer, but it seems there's an error. You posted obituary of this writer as (1964--1923). I'm very sure the world's not going backward ?
Thanks for catching that. It appears I'm still stuck in the last century!