Krasznahorkai László

Bartleby

Baron got a very glowing review by The Paris Review https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2019/09/18/the-obsessive-fictions-of-laszlo-krasznahorkai/

"Baron Wenkcheim’s Homecoming is a fitting capstone to Krasznahorkai’s tetralogy, one of the supreme achievements of contemporary literature. Now seems as good a time as any to name him among our greatest living novelists."

The tetralogy in question refers to what Krasznahorkai has said:
"I’ve said it a thousand times that I always wanted to write just one book. I wasn’t satisfied with the first, and that’s why I wrote the second. I wasn’t satisfied with the second, so I wrote the third, and so on. Now, with Baron, I can close this story. With this novel I can prove that I really wrote just one book in my life. This is the book—Satantango, Melancholy, War and War, and Baron. This is my one book."

Liam

Administrator
A very nice review, but given that the author of the piece, Dustin Illingworth, is American, I'm a little perplexed by his use of "our." Does he mean Hungarian? European? Global? Universal? The pronoun is too broad in this case.

Bartleby

Krasznahorkai has written a new book, titled “Herscht 07769” (translation on its way), and a very interesting interview, in two parts, is out. He talks a lot about his writing process (which sounds exactly how Lobo Antunes describes it happening to him), his views towards culture and contemporary society, and much more. Well worth your time :)

Last edited:

DouglasM

Reader
What a fascinating character Krasznahorkai is. Although I of course don't agree with many of his statements, others are very thought-provoking, particularly his dislike for the massive intervention of market economics in culture in general (reminded me of Adorno's criticism of mass culture) and his deep respect and awe for nature, especially in placing it not as an object of contemplation but as a powerful and destructive (and therefore beautiful) force. It's intriguing how he sees himself as a wolf (a symbol of freedom) while acknowledging his total belonging to civilization, apart from nature. He also understands freedom not as perceived by Western contemporary conservative standards, but as opposing (the Christian) God's will, yet still clinging to God in times of great need. These contrasts and/or dualities and/or contradictions make for a very interesting interview to read. Thanks for sharing, Bartleby!

Ben Jackson

After reading Seiobo There Below (one of the most difficult texts from this century I have read), can someone recommend other key works?

Bartleby

I can't find any official news articles yet, but the New Directions Instagram page says László Krasznahorkai is the winner of the 2024 Formentor Prize ?