Literary theory, philosophy, and translation

Eric

Former Member
During the course of their studies, U.S. or UK students doing a a PhD at university in literary theory or philosophy can read, for example, Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, Spinoza, Kant, Nietzsche, Marx, Unamuno, Schopenhauer, Wittgenstein, Heidegger, Husserl, Barthes, Derrida, Foucault, Kristeva, de Man, Lyotard, Habermas, Lotman, Jakobson, Cixous, de Saussure, Sloterdijk, and dozens more European philosophers and literary or linguistic theorists.

I hope that these mostly English-speaking students ask themselves which languages these authors were translated from, by whom and under what circumstances, and, the most crucial question of all: are the translations reliable?

Flint

Reader
During the course of their studies, U.S. or UK students doing a a PhD at university in literary theory or philosophy can read, for example, Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, Spinoza, Kant, Nietzsche, Marx, Unamuno, Schopenhauer, Wittgenstein, Heidegger, Husserl, Barthes, Derrida, Foucault, Kristeva, de Man, Lyotard, Habermas, Lotman, Jakobson, Cixous, de Saussure, Sloterdijk, and dozens more European philosophers and literary or linguistic theorists.

I hope that these mostly English-speaking students ask themselves which languages these authors were translated from, by whom and under what circumstances, and, the most crucial question of all: are the translations reliable?
Very good point. But I also remember how Unamuno encouraged philosophy students to learn German so they wouldn't have to read German speaking authors in translation.