Literary Trivia

And the answer is…Russell Atkins, of Cleveland, Ohio, born in 1926. He was included in Pleiades Press’s Unsung Masters series in 2013; here is my review of that volume, Russell Atkins: On the Life & Work of an American Master, which appeared in a blog at that time.

Russell Atkins didn't stick to the script. At a time (say, 1950-1980) when most African-American poets were somewhat understandably focused on the literary expression of socio-political themes, Atkins, born in 1926 in Cleveland and still alive there today, insisted on remaining what he had started as, a knotty formalist. This lost him some support in the black writing community, although he had his defenders too: the debate over the value of Atkins' writing may be characterized as a micro-controversy. With the publication of this new volume in Pleiades Press's "Unsung Masters" series, that controversy lives again.

Is Atkins, scarcely referred to in literary histories and seldom anthologized, to take his place among the recognized poets of the mid-20th Century? He has an undoubted position as an out-and-out experimentalist among African-American writers, but that in itself would not be enough to secure his status. This "Unsung Masters" volume is a bid for Atkins' canonicity, and on my view is a near-miss in that regard. But time will tell.

The volume collects 39 poems by Atkins, a manifesto, an essay, and a poetic drama, along with a critical introduction and six additional essays about his work by academics and poets. Embedded within these pages, and especially the various essays, there is plenty of evidence of a dispute over not just Atkins' output, but over what African-American literature in general is or should be. The essayists here are all champions of Atkins and by extension, of his pronouncedly aesthetic-purist stance on the question. But they quote from his detractors, including an anonymous 1969 reviewer for Negro World - "Brother Atkins [is] not a blkman dealing with his history as he should be about doing (blkartists are responsible to the blkcommunity)" - and poet Kirby Congdon - "He chooses to write in a [way that]...comes off as pretentious and unnatural...We don't think...that the sadness lies in our neglect of [Atkins]; but rather in his neglect of us."

Atkins himself has fueled the controversies. He has been explicitly audience-disdaining, and has spelled out his rejections of poetry-as-communication, linguistic clarity, "economical" and "ordinary" language (which he associated with William Carlos Williams), "sense," "meaning," and "insights," and poetry that "convinces" or "works," in favor of mannerism, self-indulgence, "conspicuous technique," and the poem-as-object (he was a pioneer in concrete poetry). Some of these manifesto positions (he was associated with two such documents, in 1964 and 1991) read defensively, as does his criticism of Henry Dumas' choices of "subject matter" rooted in feelings about "injustices."

Atkins' tone overall is irresistibly reminiscent of the infamous 1958 High Fidelity article by his near-contemporary, composer Milton Babbitt, entitled (not by its author) "Who Cares If You Listen?" It is, frankly, a little pissy. There are ample hints scattered throughout this book that Atkins was raised by his mother and older female relations with a sense of entitlement, and that he nursed this throughout his life. For example, he expressed great annoyance with the notion of earning a living, and apparently seldom came close to it, once quitting a part-time job when it threatened to become full-time. (To be fair, he was industrious with respect to his avant-garde activities, such as co-editing the little journal Free Lance.)

Atkins was a composer himself and deeply involved with music, although along different lines than Babbitt. In fact, the literal centerpiece of this "Unsung Masters" volume is his 1955 essay "A Psychovisual Perspective for 'Musical' Composition," which he set great store by and which is referred to admiringly in several of the critical essays. In my opinion, reliance upon this essay in putting forward a case for Atkins is quite problematic. It is cranky and eccentric, difficult to follow, and reads as the work of a writer who has not quite mastered the type of philosophical language he wishes to use. There is the germ of a partial insight in the essay's insistence that music is as much or more a visual as an aural art, relying on "spatial relationships" that we cannot help perceiving and describing visually (a tone is "higher" or "lower"). But the tone becomes unhinged when Atkins resorts to shouting capitals:

THE PSYCHOVISUALIST CANNOT TAKE SERIOUSLY ANYTHING WRITTEN FOR THE EAR...Can serious composers honestly compose FOR such an organ as the ear?

I would very much like to hear some of Atkins' largely unperformed music, but this essay cannot be said to represent him well. Several assertions are made that it was admired and championed by composer Stepan Wolpe, Music Review editor Geoffrey Sharp, and various enthusiastic Europeans - but I can't help noticing the lack of any documentation offered for these claims.

And what of Atkins' poetry, Exhibit A? He strikes me as a decent poet of the second rank. He developed a manner and tricks which he perhaps over-relied on, such as appending apostrophe-d ('d) to almost any word. Or perhaps it would be fair to say, that since such great kindred poets as Emily Dickinson, Gerard Manley Hopkins, and Ivor Gurney also over-relied on their manners and tricks, that there isn't enough energy in Atkins' writing to distract the reader from that over-reliance.

Atkins also has an odd but unmistakable affinity with Louis and Celia Zukofsky's translations of Catullus, which most of his poetry predates. I don't know if the Zukofskys may have read him, but it is certainly possible.

An early Atkins poem, "Elegy to a Hurt Bird that Died," is so Hopkins as to amount to pastiche:

I suppose you suppose that yon of little burial
Is non of? Rather it is of universal o'er
Unvast because it unvast looks?

Later his voice became more recognizably his, but he has a tendency to overdo it, as in "World'd Too Much (Irritable Song)":

Bus hollows on of back windows
awidth'd with oxygen, gust'd,
crosswise of neglect, a joyous'd
foregone of seats, the while a beer can's
joust'd about the floor's rubbish'd
and a driver's on the last run
as of fatal'd alone -
how such cheerfuls me!
then someone boards
there's always somebody

Neither of those is a specimen I would offer to put Atkins in the best light. There are some, such as "It's Here in The," which leant its title to Atkins' last major collection, Here in The (1976, Cleveland State University Press). But on the evidence of the entire portfolio included here, Atkins' poetic urgency is somewhat low. The one poetic drama included from several Atkins wrote, The Abortionist, is way off the Yeatsian standard in that genre.

I feel that Atkins merits this volume he has been granted; he is an an interesting figure to make the acquaintance of. But the American Master in the title is an over-statement.

543C0303-442A-49DD-8512-A0DE80E1511D.jpeg

Last edited:

Leseratte

And the answer is…Russell Atkins, of Cleveland, Ohio, born in 1926. He was included in Pleiades Press’s Unsung Masters series in 2013; here is my review of that volume, Russell Atkins: On the Life and Work of an American Master, which appeared in a blog at that time.

Russell Atkins didn't stick to the script. At a time (say, 1950-1980) when most African-American poets were somewhat understandably focused on the literary expression of socio-political themes, Atkins, born in 1926 in Cleveland and still alive there today, insisted on remaining what he had started as, a knotty formalist. This lost him some support in the black writing community, although he had his defenders too: the debate over the value of Atkins' writing may be characterized as a micro-controversy. With the publication of this new volume in Pleiades Press's "Unsung Masters" series, that controversy lives again.

Is Atkins, scarcely referred to in literary histories and seldom anthologized, to take his place among the recognized poets of the mid-20th Century? He has an undoubted position as an out-and-out experimentalist among African-American writers, but that in itself would not be enough to secure his status. This "Unsung Masters" volume is a bid for Atkins' canonicity, and on my view is a near-miss in that regard. But time will tell.

The volume collects 39 poems by Atkins, a manifesto, an essay, and a poetic drama, along with a critical introduction and six additional essays about his work by academics and poets. Embedded within these pages, and especially the various essays, there is plenty of evidence of a dispute over not just Atkins' output, but over what African-American literature in general is or should be. The essayists here are all champions of Atkins and by extension, of his pronouncedly aesthetic-purist stance on the question. But they quote from his detractors, including an anonymous 1969 reviewer for Negro World - "Brother Atkins [is] not a blkman dealing with his history as he should be about doing (blkartists are responsible to the blkcommunity)" - and poet Kirby Congdon - "He chooses to write in a [way that]...comes off as pretentious and unnatural...We don't think...that the sadness lies in our neglect of [Atkins]; but rather in his neglect of us."

Atkins himself has fueled the controversies. He has been explicitly audience-disdaining, and has spelled out his rejections of poetry-as-communication, linguistic clarity, "economical" and "ordinary" language (which he associated with William Carlos Williams), "sense," "meaning," and "insights," and poetry that "convinces" or "works," in favor of mannerism, self-indulgence, "conspicuous technique," and the poem-as-object (he was a pioneer in concrete poetry). Some of these manifesto positions (he was associated with two such documents, in 1964 and 1991) read defensively, as does his criticism of Henry Dumas' choices of "subject matter" rooted in feelings about "injustices."

Atkins' tone overall is irresistibly reminiscent of the infamous 1958 High Fidelity article by his near-contemporary, composer Milton Babbitt, entitled (not by its author) "Who Cares If You Listen?" It is, frankly, a little pissy. There are ample hints scattered throughout this book that Atkins was raised by his mother and older female relations with a sense of entitlement, and that he nursed this throughout his life. For example, he expressed great annoyance with the notion of earning a living, and apparently seldom came close to it, once quitting a part-time job when it threatened to become full-time. (To be fair, he was industrious with respect to his avant-garde activities, such as co-editing the little journal Free Lance.)

Atkins was a composer himself and deeply involved with music, although along different lines than Babbitt. In fact, the literal centerpiece of this "Unsung Masters" volume is his 1955 essay "A Psychovisual Perspective for 'Musical' Composition," which he set great store by and which is referred to admiringly in several of the critical essays. In my opinion, reliance upon this essay in putting forward a case for Atkins is quite problematic. It is cranky and eccentric, difficult to follow, and reads as the work of a writer who has not quite mastered the type of philosophical language he wishes to use. There is the germ of a partial insight in the essay's insistence that music is as much or more a visual as an aural art, relying on "spatial relationships" that we cannot help perceiving and describing visually (a tone is "higher" or "lower"). But the tone becomes unhinged when Atkins resorts to shouting capitals:

THE PSYCHOVISUALIST CANNOT TAKE SERIOUSLY ANYTHING WRITTEN FOR THE EAR...Can serious composers honestly compose FOR such an organ as the ear?

I would very much like to hear some of Atkins' largely unperformed music, but this essay cannot be said to represent him well. Several assertions are made that it was admired and championed by composer Stepan Wolpe, Music Review editor Geoffrey Sharp, and various enthusiastic Europeans - but I can't help noticing the lack of any documentation offered for these claims.

And what of Atkins' poetry, Exhibit A? He strikes me as a decent poet of the second rank. He developed a manner and tricks which he perhaps over-relied on, such as appending apostrophe-d ('d) to almost any word. Or perhaps it would be fair to say, that since such great kindred poets as Emily Dickinson, Gerard Manley Hopkins, and Ivor Gurney also over-relied on their manners and tricks, that there isn't enough energy in Atkins' writing to distract the reader from that over-reliance.

Atkins also has an odd but unmistakable affinity with Louis and Celia Zukofsky's translations of Catullus, which most of his poetry predates. I don't know if the Zukofskys may have read him, but it is certainly possible.

An early Atkins poem, "Elegy to a Hurt Bird that Died," is so Hopkins as to amount to pastiche:

Later his voice became more recognizably his, but he has a tendency to overdo it, as in "World'd Too Much (Irritable Song)":

as of fatal'd alone -
how such cheerfuls me!
then someone boards
there's always somebody

Neither of those is a specimen I would offer to put Atkins in the best light. There are some, such as "It's Here in The," which leant its title to Atkins' last major collection, Here in The (1976, Cleveland State University Press). But on the evidence of the entire portfolio included here, Atkins' poetic urgency is somewhat low. The one poetic drama included from several Atkins wrote, The Abortionist, is way off the Yeatsian standard in that genre.

I feel that Atkins merits this volume he has been granted; he is an an interesting figure to make the acquaintance of. But the American Master in the title is an over-statement
Haven´t read Atkins. But your appreciation of him reads very thorough.

^ Thank you! I enjoyed writing that piece. It is always an interesting challenge to write something moderately positive, but with significant qualifications, and when you are writing about an author who is largely unknown, there is some extra responsibility. You also want to make sure to provide enough solid information that readers of the essay can decide for themselves whether the author is worth pursuing.

Leseratte

^ Thank you! I enjoyed writing that piece. It is always an interesting challenge to write something moderately positive, but with significant qualifications, and when you are writing about an author who is largely unknown, there is some extra responsibility. You also want to make sure to provide enough solid information that readers of the essay can decide for themselves whether the author is worth pursuing.
That´s exactly the point. It is easy enough just to dwell on the failings of a little known writer. Your balanced review makes furnishes enough material to interest the reader and make him look for himself!

Last edited:

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
That´s exactly the point. It is easy enough just to dwell on the failings of a little known writer. Your balanced make him look review furnishes enough material to interest the reader and make him look for himself!
It is far easier to point out the faults and errors in the work of a great writer than to give a clear and full exposition of its value
Schopenhauer: Criticism of the Kantian Philosophy

Ben Jackson

And the answer is…Russell Atkins, of Cleveland, Ohio, born in 1926. He was included in Pleiades Press’s Unsung Masters series in 2013; here is my review of that volume, Russell Atkins: On the Life & Work of an American Master, which appeared in a blog at that time.

as of fatal'd alone -
how such cheerfuls me!
then someone boards
there's always somebody

I feel that Atkins merits this volume he has been granted; he is an an interesting figure to make the acquaintance of. But the American Master in the title is an over-statement.

View attachment 1604

Haven't heard of this author, thanks for the analysis.

^ Very few have. The publication of Russell Atkins: On the Life & Work of an American Master in 2013, and of World’d Too Much: The Selected Poetry of Russell Atkins (Cleveland State University Poetry Center) in 2017, although worthy efforts, have done little to stem the neglect. One might think that, as an overlooked African-American poet, Atkins could command at least SOME attention. We are supposed to be paying more attention to under-represented populations, ne c’est pas? And Atkins is still alive, so he could still get a little glory in his lifetime.

But there are two problems, I think.

(1) The under-represented populations themselves are not attuned to “high culture” in any form. So a movie like Crazy Rich Asians is treated as some kind of cultural breakthrough, and sure, every population deserves its own mediocre movies, but come on.

(2) There is not much of a literary culture left in the US in which any “splash” could be made. Yes, the New York Review of Books is still nice, but one publication? It can’t bear that weight, and in any case there is scarcely any “intelligent general audience” left. The population is wired not just to popular culture, but to CORPORATE-PRODUCED culture, Disney and such, and is proud and defensive about that. I made some offhand negative comment about the Star Wars universe on Twitter once, and I got mobbed, you wouldn’t believe the language. ??

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

I first worked at a legal clerk before creating some of the finest and memorable characters in world of fiction. I died at the age of 58 and was mourned universally and was hailed as one of the world's finest novelists and the greatest in the language I write in. Who am mine?

Leseratte

I first worked at a legal clerk before creating some of the finest and memorable characters in world of fiction. I died at the age of 58 and was mourned universally and was hailed as one of the world's finest novelists and the greatest in the language I write in. Who am mine?
Charles Dickens?

Leseratte

I was born in Mississippi. I adopted as a pen name the name of a state of USA I passed two very happy years. But don't think that my life was easy. Being myself an outsider I adopted outsiders as the subjects of my writing and depicted their loneliness with great tenderness. I also wrote my own memories and was very honest about it. Did I shock people with them? Possibly. But I also was a great success.
Today, alas, I´m not so much remembered as I would like to be. Times have changed so much.

Last edited:

tiganeasca

...the greatest in the language I write in.
I don't want to quibble too much here, but I suspect that there are a number of people, including me, who would take issue with calling Dickens the single greatest writer in the English language. Among them? Without a doubt. But the greatest? Um...no. (My two cents)

Leseratte

I don't want to quibble too much here, but I suspect that there are a number of people, including me, who would take issue with calling Dickens the single greatest writer in the English language. Among them? Without a doubt. But the greatest? Um...no. (My two cents)
Lol. I am too involved to discuss that.

Last edited:

Leseratte

I am so stumped by "the part of the USA I came from." I have been thinking about that ever since you posted and I am truly stumped. I hope someone here is smarter than I am!
I have to beg your pardon, Mr Tiga, but I made a mistake. In fact I was born in Mississippi (no I'm not Mark Twain) but I passed a very happy period in Nashville so I decided to adopt the name of the state as my own.

tiganeasca

I have to beg your pardon, Mr Tiga, but I made a mistake. In fact I was born in Mississippi (no I'm not Mark Twain) but I passed a very happy period in Nashville so I decided to adopt the name of the state as my own.
My last name wouldn't be Williams, then, would it?

alik-vit

Reader
Realistic trivia:

Fado Alexandrino, Stories in an Almost Classical Mode, Le jardin des plantes, Poems of consummation or Purgatory by Raul Zurita.

Which one of these books is so dangerous, that custom service of Russia denied access of whole parcel to country and sent me kind invitation to explanation, if I like to receive my purchase?

Benny Profane

Realistic trivia:

Fado Alexandrino, Stories in an Almost Classical Mode, Le jardin des plantes, Poems of consummation or Purgatory by Raul Zurita.

Which one of these books is so dangerous, that custom service of Russia denied access of whole parcel to country and sent me kind invitation to explanation, if I like to receive my purchase?
I think it is the book by Zurita. He was a gay man dissident against a totalitary regime who suffered so much torture and death threats that he is become an icon for Human Rights and Anti-War speeches in general.

alik-vit

Reader
I think it is the book by Zurita. He was a gay man dissident against a totalitary regime who suffered so much torture and death threats that he is become an icon for Human Rights and Anti-War speeches in general.
Let's see after my visit to the office. But I'm pretty sure, there is no one person in this organization, who knows even this name.