Mark Kharitonov (1937-2024)

The Common Reader

Mark Kharitonov who was awarded the First Russian Booker Prize passed away on January.

Obituary: https://www.newsefir.net/post/mark-haritonov

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kharitonov

Might you tell more about him, @alik-vit ?
Thank you @Benny Profane for bringing this sad news to everyone’s attention. I remember reading Lines of Fate, or a large part of it, in
the mid-nineties and thinking that this was something weird and original, and yet wondering whether the main character, Milashevich, might have been based on some actual figure from the 1920’s. I was writing, or had just finished, my dissertation at the time, and was therefore primed to see traces of author on whom I wrote (Aleksei Remizov), everywhere. So my question to @alik-vit is—who is Milashevich?

Benny Profane

Thank you @Benny Profane for bringing this sad news to everyone’s attention. I remember reading Lines of Fate, or a large part of it, in
the mid-nineties and thinking that this was something weird and original, and yet wondering whether the main character, Milashevich, might have been based on some actual figure from the 1920’s. I was writing, or had just finished, my dissertation at the time, and was therefore primed to see traces of author on whom I wrote (Aleksei Remizov), everywhere. So my question to @alik-vit is—who is Milashevich?
So sad story, my dear... I hope you are OK after knowing about his death...
I was searching for new names in Russian Literature and I found this name (the first winner of Russian Booker Prize) and noticed that he passed away on January (delayed information, of course).

Well, what about his body of works? What are your impressions on Lines of Fate? Is it a good start point?

The Common Reader

So sad story, my dear... I hope you are OK after knowing about his death...
I was searching for new names in Russian Literature and I found this name (the first winner of Russian Booker Prize) and noticed that he passed away on January (delayed information, of course).

Well, what about his body of works? What are your impressions on Lines of Fate? Is it a good start point?
Yes, by all means, I thought it was enchanting. It was winter of 1995-96, I was doing research in the Public Library in St. Petersburg, I didn’t own a copy but in the evenings I would dip into it in the main reading room as it was usually snowing outside, it was like playing hooky when I should have been working. An English-language translation came out later: 1710019817347.jpeg But I don’t know if it has appeared in Portuguese.

Liam

Administrator
^If I was hard-pressed to pick just one, I'd go for Chekhov, but some of my other favorites who are not mentioned enough (at least I don't think) would include Bunin and Platonov. But I love love LOVE Dostoyevsky, so: excellent choice!! :)

Favorite poet: definitely Marina Tsvetaeva. I dream of writing a book about her one day!!

The Common Reader

^If I was hard-pressed to pick just one, I'd go for Chekhov, but some of my other favorites who are not mentioned enough (at least I don't think) would include Bunin and Platonov. But I love love LOVE Dostoyevsky, so: excellent choice!! :)

Favorite poet: definitely Marina Tsvetaeva. I dream of writing a book about her one day!!
Март. Достать чернил и плакать!
Писать о Цветаевой навзрыд,
Пока грохущая сляготь
Весною черною горит.

You should drop whatever you’re doing and write a book about Tsvetaeva now, while you are still young. There is so much to be said about her from so many angles and you are, if I understand correctly, a native speaker, so you can fully comprehend the innate musicality of her work. (This is something I could never do—even when my Russian was at its best my Russian friends would say I sounded like someone from the Baltic republics, and then I spent time in both Estonia and Lithuania and realized—this is not a compliment.)