Murakami Haruki: Norwegian Wood

Cocko

Reader
Here's one from 1987:

Norwegian Wood is the seventh book I?ve read by Haruki Murakami. Each time I come to writing down my thoughts after finishing one of his novels I can?t help but reflect the reoccurring themes that are ever present in all his novels. In fact, I find it hard to point to another author who in my mind can match the strong and refined voice that Murakami has when carrying the storytelling devices, structure and subject across a similarly large body of work.

Of course, I haven?t read his books in chronological order. I happened to start with his critical high-point, the dense masterpiece The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, whereas this, Norwegian Wood, is his most widely read work, an early breakthrough in Japan which took his readership to the millions. Nevertheless, wherever you choose to start the themes are evident, from the cerebral symbolism of wells and the subterranean to the Murakami?s most tried and tested narrative: an ordinary man thrust into a strange series of events by a mysterious girl, or in the case of Norwegian Wood girls.

This should not be interpreted as needless repetition or criticism, instead Murakami has a wonderful way of exploring his themes in varied and unique ways, from largely surreal (The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, Sputnik Sweetheart and Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World) to realistic (Underground) and those that straddle the two (After Dark, Hear the Wind Sing and now Norwegian Wood).

From my readings thus far, Norwegian Wood is the most direct of Murakami?s love stories. It may be this direct approach that is interpreted by some as semi-autobiographical, a point that Murakami disputes. However, it does share many similarities to Murakami?s own experience at university in Tokyo in the late 1960s, the years in which he also met his wife. Biographical or not, it hardly matters. The characters are beautifully written, embodying the confusion of youth caught in the transition from confinement to independence, how they react to their surrounds, their friendships with those that survive and those than don?t. Beyond bittersweet, this is raw, without sensationalism and sentimentality. And, above all else it is a page turner.

Here's a nice passage from the first chapter:

Once, long ago, when I was still young, when the memories were far more vivid than they are now, I often tried to write about her. But I couldn?t produce a line. I knew that if that first line would come, the rest would pour itself onto the page, but I could never tell where to start - the way a map that shows too much can sometimes be useless. Now, though, I realise that all I can place in the imperfect vessel of writing are imperfect memories and imperfect thoughts. The more the memories of Naoko inside me fade, the more deeply I am able to understand her, to remember that she had existed.

cuchulain

Reader
After Dance, Dance, Dance, it's my favorite of his books. More traditional, less surreal, but still excellent and still quite Murakamish. I think it's also probably the most well earned of his novels, in the sense that the psychological tremors felt by the two key women seem better weighted and truly organic.

I believe in all of his created worlds. But I think in Norwegian Wood, that belief is better grounded in the flow and pacing of the novel itself.

I just finished reading it - and the other book I'm reading right now, the Elif Şafak's the Bastard of Istanbul, looks so amateurish compared to this.

I found the protagonist a bit too good - too honest - sometimes, and I'd prefer if the last chapter wasn't that way, but it's very well-constructed and really touching.

It's beautifully translated too!

Daniel del Real

I just finished reading it - and the other book I'm reading right now, the Elif Şafak's the Bastard of Istanbul, looks so amateurish compared to this.

I found the protagonist a bit too good - too honest - sometimes, and I'd prefer if the last chapter wasn't that way, but it's very well-constructed and really touching.

It's beautifully translated too!

Actually I'm more curious on your thoughts about The Bastard of Istanbuel, since it's a book I've wanted to read, but don't know how good it is.
About Norwegian Wood, It's Murakami's worse. If you liked this one, you'll love the rest.

Oh yes, lots of things that don't make sense, binaristic characters, events, attitudes etc to maintain tension, and this unsuccessful attempt at being comical...

I'd read the Flea Palace in Turkish, and liked it, so I'd recommend going for that one if you want to read something by Şafak

Stiffelio

Reader
I disagree with the above posts disdaining Norwegian Wood. I think it is a very good novel. Had it not been written by Murakami, I would say it is more than just very good: it is a brilliant and moving bildungsroman. The problem most Murakami readers encounter when reading Norwegian Wood, particularly after having read other books by him, is that this is the most un-Murakamish book he ever wrote. He himself said that he wrote it as a one-off experiment of writing a straightforwardly realistic novel. And this is what it is, a powerful realistic piece, complete with wonderfully drawn, albeit nutty, characters.

DouglasM

Reader
It's my favorite book by Murakami. As a psychology student, I consider it a profound analysis of the human mind and emotions. You can almost touch the loneliness felt by Toru Watanabe throughtout the book, which is Murakami's greatest achievement here in my opinion.

Knowing it is based on real life events only makes the reading more moving for me. I can understand why it influenced a whole generation of young japanese people and has drawn comparisons to Salinger's Catcher In The Rye. Reserverd and workaholic as Japan's people are, a book that portrays a young man struggling to overcome such dificulties wouldn't go unnoticed.

I understand why Murakami fans don't like this book. For me, it's the best.

kpjayan

Reader
I disagree with the above posts disdaining Norwegian Wood.

I was responding to the question on "Bastard of Istanbul", if you thought otherwise. Haven't read Norwegian wood. I should read Murakami soon ( Kafka on the shore is lying for quite a while).

Oh yes, I was talking about the Bastard of Istanbul too.
I agree that Norwegian Wood is a great realist novel. Here comes my favourite passage:

"Hey, tell me, what do you think the best thing is about being rich?"
"I don't know."
"Being able to say you don't have any money. Like, if I suggested to a school friend we do something, she could say 'Sorry, I don't have any money.' Which is something I could never say if the situation was reversed. If I said 'I don't have any money', it would really mean 'I don't have any money'. It's sad. Like, if a pretty girl says 'I look terrible today, I don't want to go out,' that's OK, but if an ugly girl says the same thing people laugh at her. That's what the world is like for me." (trans. Jay Rubin)

Daniel del Real

I disagree with the above posts disdaining Norwegian Wood. I think it is a very good novel. Had it not been written by Murakami, I would say it is more than just very good: it is a brilliant and moving bildungsroman. The problem most Murakami readers encounter when reading Norwegian Wood, particularly after having read other books by him, is that this is the most un-Murakamish book he ever wrote. He himself said that he wrote it as a one-off experiment of writing a straightforwardly realistic novel. And this is what it is, a powerful realistic piece, complete with wonderfully drawn, albeit nutty, characters.

Let me explain myself. Saying Norwegian Wood is Murakami's worse is not fair enough as I shoul've said it Murakami's less good. Of course it is a good novel, but in this same style where he takes out the fantasy, the world of dreams and the parallel dimensions I find South of the Border, West of the Sun, way superior than Norwegian Wood. The way he depicts the love relationship between the three individuals is outstanding. It is more of an adult observation of a relationship instead of Norwegian Wood which is more teenager. Anyway I liked the novel, is just that personally there are lots of Murakamis ahead in my mind.

JTolle

Reader
Just read Norwegian Wood and I'm both impressed and upset. I happened to like the book, but I had assured myself of that fact only by the last 30 pages. There was a lot to dislike and that's why I was so torn about my opinion.

First off, Vintage International did a pretty terrible job of editing. 'Then's missing 'n's, switching 'were' for 'was', other assorted mistakes that just irritated me.

My second main problem was with either Rubin (the translator) or Murakami, because the dialogue, except for the longer monologues, was frequently melodramatic or just unbelievable. To cite one example: I hope it was not Murakami who decided to use the phrase "Oh, brother" in response to a sexual advance, on multiple occasions, I hope that was an odd phrase translation.

Overall though I was pleased. Not very surreal, pretty straightforward, and I chuckled at the overt Magic Mountain and Euripidian parallels. A good, solid novel. Maybe not Nobel worthy, but I'll reserve any real judgement until I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

Daniel del Real

Bjorn

Reader
Now I've seen it, and my initial impression is that they took a fairly many-layered and subtle novel about a time of change and turned it into one man's quest to have sex with crazy women. Yes, it's an absolutely gorgeous film, and well worth seeing for the cinematography alone; lots of long shots using both environment and wordless acting to set scenes, including one incredible tracking shot through a windy field that I could swear goes on for an hour without getting old. But the script is often a little on the clunky side (not extremely so, but when you have entire 5-minute scenes that are just one single take of two people having a frank conversation, it helps if the conversation doesn't seem... well, scripted). Both the acting and the score by Johnny Radiohead suffers from the same problem; as long as the movie is moving along they're excellent, but when they get to the big drama scenes they pour it on too thick.

Gorgeous film. Not bad, as relationship drama goes. But not my Norwegian Wood . ***00