Murakami Haruki: Norwegian Wood

Liam

Administrator
The film version of Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood is finally available on DVD (complimentary CD/soundtrack included) in the US (it's an import, but plays ALL regions, so we should be fine):

41GqZMbkzbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Vietnamese director Anh Hung Tran's previous films The Scent of Green Papaya and Cyclo are among my favorite films of all time.

Rumpelstilzchen

Former Member
The film version of Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood is finally available on DVD (complimentary CD/soundtrack included) in the US (it's an import, but plays ALL regions, so we should be fine):

I was mostly disappointed by the film. A decent adaptation of the novel with great cinematography, but apart from the camera it is just mediocre.

Liam

Administrator
I wouldn't have been interested anyway, but A. H. T. is one of my favorite directors. I ordered the film yesterday; if I don't like it, I can always re-sell it. Have you seen any of his earlier films? I especially recommend Cyclo.

Stiffelio

Reader
I wouldn't have been interested anyway, but A. H. T. is one of my favorite directors. I ordered the film yesterday; if I don't like it, I can always re-sell it. Have you seen any of his earlier films? I especially recommend Cyclo.

Cyclo is an extraordinary film.

Rumpelstilzchen

Former Member

No, not yet, The Scent of Green Papaya has been on my list for some time. I have never heard of Cyclo . Will check them out.

Liam

Administrator
Murakami's Norwegian Wood is getting a make-over by Vintage prior to the release of the film:

51gZLFMwZ1L._SS500_.jpg

Having watched it recently on DVD (already out in Asia), I was smitten with the beautiful visuals of the Vietnamese director Anh Hung Tran's cinematic palette; and it also made me want to read the book.

Liam

Administrator
Yes, the soundtrack was amazing; there was one particular Bruegel-esque scene which I personally called "Farewell in the Snow" which was incredibly beautiful and moving, thanks in no small degree to the musical accompaniment.

Daniel del Real

I hate when they change the cover of a book because a movie about it was recently premiered. Norwegian Wood is probably the worst Murakami I've ever read.

Liam

Administrator
From what I've heard, it's not "bad" Murakami, just different Murakami. No weird things going on, no alternative realities, just plain 1960s nostalgia tinged with sexual awakening and the main character's coming of age as a person. But do see the film, whatever you happen to think of the book: it's beautiful.

Oh, and the tie-in movie-editions don't tend to stay around very long: they're usually withdrawn within a year after the film's release. So if you're one of those people who actually likes the movie poster that you see on the cover, I'd suggest you get it now, because after a while the publishers usually go back to using the old, previous cover image anyway.

Stiffelio

Reader
I hate when they change the cover of a book because a movie about it was recently premiered. Norwegian Wood is probably the worst Murakami I've ever read.

The way you phrase your opinion, it would seem as though everything Murakami wrote is bad and Norwegian Wood is especially bad! Maybe you were taken aback because this is a different sort of Murakami from what you were used to reading but it is an excellent novel in itself.