Music Music Music

AlieSmith

I usually prefer classical music. French composers I like most of all. My favorite compositions are Gabriel Fauré’s “Après un reve” and "Pavane" and Claude Debussy’s “Claire de Lune”. Recently at eclassical site I've found a new cd of Maxim Rysanov performing my favorite compositions and lots of great others. The record calls "Pavane" and it's astonishing as for me!

Liam

Administrator
[video=youtube;VCSiIzDYSbU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCSiIzDYSbU[/video]

Oh God. One of the most beautiful compositions I have ever heard. You have to listen to the end. I shed a tear.

I start every day with music, my favored types being classical, opera, jazz, Sinatra-era pop, Americana, with occasional dabbles in others (although honestly, I know NOTHING about post-grunge rock / pop).

I use CDs and LPs - I began collecting classical LPs when I was in middle school - but increasingly do depend on Spotify, YouTube, and Internet radio, especially BBC Radio 3. (Don’t get me started on American radio, which used to be good but is now a desert with few oases.)

Operas, which are the musical equivalent of novels / plays, take up a good deal of my attention. I follow what becomes available on global radio stations very carefully, as well as exploring the riches to be found on Spotify and YouTube. This morning, for example, I am listening to a 1988 performance of Rossini’s remarkable, overflowing Il viaggio a Reims, conducted by Claudio Abbado with a stunning cast - Montserrat Caballé, Samuel Ramey, Ruggero Raimondi, Chris Merritt. This opera was a pièce d’occasion written in 1825 for the coronation of Charles X, and features no less than 14 demanding solo roles (which makes it prohibitively expensive to stage for most companies).

Opera is maybe an even more specialized enthusiasm than world literature! At least, I have noticed that my numerous opera posts on Twitter, Tumblr, blogs, etc, have historically drawn the lowest level of engagement of anything that I write about. But it is a passion for me.

@Ben Jackson , you wished to know more about my musical enthusiasms! So I may post more in this thread.

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

I wasn't really into music in my childhood days. I was more into playing and watching soccer at the time. My father, who had CDs tapes of almost all the big names in music in the late 70s, 80s and early 90s (except Rock and Rap), and my elder brother, who's a pharmacist, were more into music than I more the time (though my elder brother is incontemporaryrary music, he does not really like old stuff). But in my teens (around 15), I discovered Rolling Stones list of 500 greatest songs and albums of all time (I have listened to about 350 songs and about 150 albums since then). These lists (along with gaining knowledge of Grammy Awards' major categories), ignited my interest in listening to music both contemporary and classics from previous era.

Music I always listen to:

I love listening to Pop, R&B, Jazz, Rock (except Punk, Grunge and Metal), Country, Alternative. Rap isn't easily my thing (though I love Kanye, some songs of Eminem, Lamar, Jay Z). Same goes for Hip/Pop.

I appreciate lyrics with depth and profound meaning. Maybe because I'm now writing poems in my spare time. I don't really pay production or appreciate songs with great sound production.

Favourite Musicians: Lady Gaga, Madonna, Adele, Prince, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Bowie (very versatile), Marvin Gaye, Janet Jackson, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Sade, Elton John, Bruno Mars, Katy Perry, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Taylor Swift (Folklore and Evermore are amazing), Ed Sherran, Bjork, The Weeknd (his new album is amazing), Sting (love Englishman in New York and Fields of Gold) and for lyricists, Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell and Paul Simon. Am also loving Dua Lipa, H.E.R, Billie Eilish (I love her recent album Happier Than Ever), Olivia Rodrigo.

Favourite Bands: The Beatles, U2, The Police, Zeppelin, REM, Coldplay, Radiohead. But U2 is my favourite over all. I love them for their lyricism exploring spirituality and philosophy.

Favourite Jazz composers are Miles Davis and John Coltrane, love Davis' Kind of Blue, though I'll make an effort to listen to Chick Corea and the rest of the Grammy winning Jazz composers.

As for Classical music, I haven't listened much of the Canonical names, so I have to listen to them. Have only listened to two pieces of Beethoven (Fur Elise), Mozart (Marriage of Figaro), Handel (the Hallueyah piece). Maybe next year I will listen to many of the Canonical names and draw up list of favourite composers and my favourite records of theirs.

Also, I'll make an attempt to create a list of my favourite all time songs and albums too.

Liam

Administrator
@Ben Jackson: I am waiting with bated breath for both Bjork's and Taylor Swift's newest, coming out one after the other in the next couple of months!

In terms of classical music, I don't know how much you are "into" it at all, but for what it's worth, I will suggest my favorite composer to you: Arvo Pärt.

Anything really, but my favorites from him include Tabula Rasa (instrumental), Lamentate: Pregando (instrumental), Kanon Pokajanen: Ode IV and Prayer after the Canon (choral), Adam's Lament (choral), and L'Abbé Agathon (choral).

The more you listen to him the more you feel that you've come close to something truly transcendent, perhaps even divine.

Ben Jackson

@Ben Jackson: I am waiting with bated breath for both Bjork's and Taylor Swift's newest, coming out one after the other in the next couple of months!

In terms of classical music, I don't know how much you are "into" it at all, but for what it's worth, I will suggest my favorite composer to you: Arvo Pärt.

Anything really, but my favorites from him include Tabula Rasa (instrumental), Lamentate: Pregando (instrumental), Kanon Pokajanen: Ode IV and Prayer after the Canon (choral), Adam's Lament (choral), and L'Abbé Agathon (choral).

The more you listen to him the more you feel that you've come close to something truly transcendent, perhaps even divine.

Can't wait for Bjork and Taylor's new releases too, Liam.

I've already penciled down Arvo Part for Classical Musicians I'm planning to listen to next year. Others I've penciled include: Boulez, Shostakovich, Sibelius, Schubert Rossini, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Debussy, Glass.

One thing about Classical Music is the concentration and soothing effect it provides both to an individual's state of mind and being.

Thanks Liam once again for your recommendation.

Ben Jackson

For fans of Bjork and Taylor Swift, are you guys aware that their most anticipated albums are already out? Bjork's Fossora album came out about two weeks ago and Swift's Midnight came out this Friday. I haven't got the time to listen to both albums (due to reading and all that stuff), but hopefully before the end of the week, I would certainly listen to both albums. I just read reviews of both albums, and thus far, both albums are receiving acclaim from critics, particularly Swift's Midnight. Hope to read your thoughts on both works.

Ben Jackson

Favourite Latin America/Carribean Songs of 20th Century (20 Songs)

Guantanamera ----The Sandpipers
La Bamba --- Los Lobos
Alfosina to the Sea ---- Mercedes Sousa
The Girl from Ipanema ---- Carlos Jobim
Smooth--- Santana
Conga --- Gloria Estefan
Trem al Sur --- Los Prisoneros
Comola Flor --- Selena
Living La Vida Loca --- Ricky Martin
Waiting for Tonight --- Jennifer Lopez
Redemption Song ---- Bob Marley
Night Nurse --- Gregory Isaacs
No Woman No Cry --- Bob Marley
I Can See Clearly Now --- Jimmy Cliff
Jumping in the Line --- Harry Belafonte
Many Rivers to Cross--- Jimmy Cliff
The Harder they Come --- Jimmy Cliff
Hot Shot --- Jimmy Cliff
I Shot the Sheriff ---- Bob Marley
Mr Bombastic --- Shaggy

Love these songs so much, most especially the Latin America songs. Read many of the lyrics through translation and loved them (Alfonsina to the Sea been the song I was most impressed with).

Leseratte

Favourite Latin America/Carribean Songs of 20th Century (20 Songs)

Guantanamera ----The Sandpipers
La Bamba --- Los Lobos
Alfosina to the Sea ---- Mercedes Sousa
The Girl from Ipanema ---- Carlos Jobim
Smooth--- Santana
Conga --- Gloria Estefan
Trem al Sur --- Los Prisoneros
Comola Flor --- Selena
Living La Vida Loca --- Ricky Martin
Waiting for Tonight --- Jennifer Lopez
Redemption Song ---- Bob Marley
Night Nurse --- Gregory Isaacs
No Woman No Cry --- Bob Marley
I Can See Clearly Now --- Jimmy Cliff
Jumping in the Line --- Harry Belafonte
Many Rivers to Cross--- Jimmy Cliff
The Harder they Come --- Jimmy Cliff
Hot Shot --- Jimmy Cliff
I Shot the Sheriff ---- Bob Marley
Mr Bombastic --- Shaggy

Love these songs so much, most especially the Latin America songs. Read many of the lyrics through translation and loved them (Alfonsina to the Sea been the song I was most impressed with).
Miss however songs like "Gracias a la vida" and "Volver a los 17" sung by Mercedes Sosa and "El Condor. And, of course, the Mexican "Llorona". And Brazilian songs are eternally represented by "The girl from Ipanema".
Some links for aficionados:

lucasdiniz

Reader
For fans of Bjork and Taylor Swift, are you guys aware that their most anticipated albums are already out? Bjork's Fossora album came out about two weeks ago and Swift's Midnight came out this Friday. I haven't got the time to listen to both albums (due to reading and all that stuff), but hopefully before the end of the week, I would certainly listen to both albums. I just read reviews of both albums, and thus far, both albums are receiving acclaim from critics, particularly Swift's Midnight. Hope to read your thoughts on both works.
Can I just show off a little bit and say that I watched Björk live in São Paulo a week ago? And I'm such a huge fan that I didn't even listen to "Fossora" yet but thankfully the only song from the album she sang was "Ovule". It was a great concert, she played with a Brazilian orchestra. A lot of people who weren't fans were curious about watching her live but felt disappointed at the fact that it was an orchestral concert. I watched it with a friend and we both loved it. It would've been better if it was in a closed space, though.
I also watched Mitski, Santiago Motorizado, Sevdaliza, Liniker and a little bit of Helado Negro (had never listened to him but a friend took me to the stage where he was performing and I wasn't disappointed). It's hard to say which one was the best, I'd say Mitski and Sevdaliza are tied.

lucasdiniz

Reader

Just wanted to post these two incredible performances of Robyn, one of the great pop/dance singers of our time. First video is really great but second one, her set in Primavera Sound Barcelona 2019, just blew me away. I wasn't very used to seeing her live, so I was very surprised by how energetic it was.

Ben Jackson

I made efforts this year to listen to classical music this year. I listened to Mozart, Bach, Beethoven and Wagner, starting from October (each month for each composer). I listened to key works (about seven) of each aforementioned composers, and here's my faves:

St Matthew's Passion --- Bach
Ode to Joy (9th Symphony)--- Beethoven
Moonlight Sonata--- Beethoven
Marriage of Figaro--- Mozart
Eroica--- Beethoven
The Magic Flute--- Mozart
Einekleine Natchmusik--- Mozart
Don Giovanni--- Mozart
Tristan und Isolde--- Wagner
Well-Tempred Clavier--- Bach

Next year, I will listen to more composers which will reflect massive changes in this list.

Ben Jackson

Beyonce, last night or early hours of today's morning, surpassed Sir George Solti, Hungarian/American composer, to become the highest winner in history of Grammys. She won four in this ceremony to bring her total Grammys to 32, just one ahead of Solti. She won two in Dance/Electronic categories, and two more in the R&B categories.

Kendrick Lamar, Harry Styles and Lizzo weren't left out of the party, as Lamar claimed victory thrice at the Rap categories and Harry Styles won the Grammys for Album of the Year (for his album Harry's House, a fine album if you ask me), and Pop Vocal Album. Record of the Year, Best New Artist and Song of the Year, the other three major Grammy Categories, went to Lizzo for her song About Damn Time, Samara Joy and Bonnie Raitt for her song Just Like That. Adele and Taylor Swift each won a Grammy for Pop Solo Performance for her acclaimed song "Easy on Me," while Taylor Swift won Best Music Video for All Too Well: The Short Film. There was a magnificent tribute to late Country singer Loretta Lynn and Hip Pop as well which celebrated 50th year anniversary, that's for those who are fans of Hip Pop.

Well, for fans of Bjork and Lady Gaga like myself, both singers lost in their respective categories they were nominated in. Bjork lost in Alternative Album category and Lady Gaga lost in the Best Song Written for Visual Media category. Still don't know when Bjork will finally win a Grammy.

Congrats to the winners especially Beyonce who is now celebrated universally as the most awarded individual in Grammy history.

Ben Jackson

Ten Best Classical Pieces for this quarter January--- March (I listened this quarter Shostakovich, Strauss, Brahms, Boulez, Cage, Sibelius, Schubert, Rossini):

?? Suite for Variety Orchestra, Leningrad--- Shostakovich
?? Ave Maria--- Schubert
?? Also Sprach Zarathustra--- Richard Strauss
Le Marteau sans Maitre, Notations-- Boulez
?? Finlandia, Swan at Tondela--- Sibelius
?? 4:33--- John Cage
?? German Requiem--- Brahms