National Book Award

DouglasM

Reader
Never thought I'd see Eliane Brum's name there. What a pleasant surprise. She has a very distinctive and literary voice for a journalist. Her prose is certainly among the best in contemporary Brazil, despite not writing fiction.

Daniel del Real

Oh no, not Fernanda Melchor again!
She was news this week at twitter when she complained in a rude manner about people sharing her books in pdf format. After that, users shared some of her past tweets where she says she read a book in pdf or asking for torrents to download movies or series :ROFLMAO:. She ended deleting her account.

I've been curious about Pilar Quitana's book for a while; it's a very short nouvelle.

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

Also, interesting to see Linda Boström's name there, especially with his husband's last name added. I'm sure it was something "suggested" by her publishers to take advantage of the notoriery of Karl Ove, but I'm not sure she is too pleased about it. I wonder if it's the same situation with her Swedish publications. I didn't know she writes fiction too.

Americanreader

I haven't read any of them other than the Melchor, which I thought was ok. They are two for two with Lazlo Krasznahorkai and Yoko Tawada, so maybe they'll pick another great book.

tiganeasca

[All of the below is excerpted from, and linked at the top to, the New York Times article]

"Charles Yu won the National Book Award for fiction on Wednesday for his mind-bending satire, “Interior Chinatown,” a sendup of Hollywood and Asian-American stereotypes. "

"Fiction finalists included Rumaan Alam’s quiet and eerie apocalyptic domestic drama, “Leave the World Behind”; Deesha Philyaw’s short story collection, “The Secret Lives of Church Ladies”; Lydia Millet’s “A Children’s Bible,” a novel that explores the chaos of climate change; and Douglas Stuart’s autobiographical novel “Shuggie Bain,” which is set in 1980s Glasgow and was also a Booker finalist."

"The prize for translated literature went to Yu Miri’s novel “Tokyo Ueno Station,” which was translated from Japanese by Morgan Giles, and is narrated by a ghost who visits a park where he lived when he was homeless."

"The award for translated literature — a category that was added in 2018 — this year included works written in Arabic, Spanish, German and Swedish. They were Pilar Quintana’s “The Bitch,” about a Colombian woman’s relationship with an orphaned puppy; “High as the Waters Rise,” a debut novel about an oil rig worker by the German poet Anja Kampmann; Adania Shibli’s “Minor Detail,” which centers on a woman in Ramallah who decides to investigate the decades-old murder of a Palestinian teenager; and Jonas Hassen Khemiri’s novel, “The Family Clause,” about a painful family reunion in Stockholm."

"The award for poetry went to the poet and translator Don Mee Choi’s collection “DMZ Colony,” a collage of survivor accounts, prose, and quotations with photographs and drawings that takes its name from Korea’s Demilitarized Zone."

"The novelist Walter Mosley, who is perhaps best known for his mystery series featuring the detective Easy Rawlins, received the foundation’s Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters, a lifetime achievement award that previously has gone to Toni Morrison, Don DeLillo and Ursula K. Le Guin. Mr. Mosley, who is the first Black man to receive the award in its 32-year history, remarked on how long overdue that milestone was: “One might be cowed by the monumental negative space surrounding the pinprick of light that this award represents,” he said. “Is this a dying gasp or a first breath?”"

Last edited:

Americanreader

Don Mee Choi's book DMZ Colony is really good. I read the whole longlist and that one was my favorite of the ones that made the shortlist.

Last edited:

Americanreader

Poetry Longlist

Books I loved
Lillian Yvonne-Bertram- Travesty Generator
Victoria Chang- Obit
Don Mee Choi- DMZ Colony

Books I liked

Rick Barot- The Galleons
Eduardo C Corral- Guillotine
Natalie Diaz- Post Colonial Love Poem
Honoree Fanonne Jeffers- The Age of Phillis

Books I didn't

Mei Mei Bersenbrugge- Treatise on Stars
Anthony Cody- Borderland Apocrypha

Books I didn't really have a strong opinion on
Tommye Blount- Fantasia for the Man in Blue

Verkhovensky

I couldn't find any thread where she is mentioned except this one, so I'll ask here - has anyone read Jesmyn Ward, who won this award twice in the last 10 years, particulary her second win, Sing, Unburied, Sing as I recently got this one as a gift and it sounds interesting. I mean, she won National Book Award twice, so she must be at least somewhat good, right?

Salixacaena

I couldn't find any thread where she is mentioned except this one, so I'll ask here - has anyone read Jesmyn Ward, who won this award twice in the last 10 years, particulary her second win, Sing, Unburied, Sing as I recently got this one as a gift and it sounds interesting. I mean, she won National Book Award twice, so she must be at least somewhat good, right?

Every time I’ve tried to read her she’s just come off as a rather blatant Toni Morrison rip off and I’ve given up and moved on to other things. A lot of her works seem very dumbed down to make them “readable” with rather simplistic prose and dialogue.

Her multiple award wins to me illustrate and point to the ongoing trend American literary society and criticism seems to have undergone since the mid 2000s, authors and works are praised more for tackling difficult social topics than for the quality of their writing and originality. If a work is likely to make a good HBO miniseries and be quickly readable to those who read one or two works a year they typically win. These days it’s pretty much inconceivable that someone like William Vollmann would ever win again.

Liam

Administrator
^Funny how TWO of the shortlisted foreign authors are on our Wolfie list this year, :)

Never heard of any of the American-listed writers/poets except Sharon Olds.

So either I am woefully under-read in my own country's literature or the NBA is shortlisting complete and utter non-entities (in the literary sphere) or both, ?