Neustadt International Prize for Literature

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how I managed to miss this - probably because there's hardly been a blip of publicity - but the Neustadt International Prize for Literature, the 'American Nobel', was announced back in October for 2010. It's a bit early, I think, for a prize that doesn't get received until October next year, but that seems to be its way.

Anyway, the winner was Chinese poet 多多, or Duo Duo to his non-Chinese friends. Here's the press release form the time of the announcement:
An international jury representing nine countries selected critically acclaimed Chinese poet Duo Duo (多多) as the 2010 laureate of the $50,000 Neustadt International Prize for Literature, sponsored by the University of Oklahoma and its international magazine, World Literature Today. The decision was made during deliberations on Oct. 22 on the OU Norman campus.

Duo Duo (Li Shizheng) was born in Beijing in 1951. He started writing poetry in the early 1970s as a youth during the isolated, midnight hours of the Cultural Revolution, and many of his early poems critiqued the Cultural Revolution from an insider’s point of view in a highly sophisticated, original style. Often considered part of the “Misty” school of contemporary Chinese poetry, he nevertheless kept a cautious distance from any literary trends or labeling. After witnessing the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre, Duo Duo left China and did not return for more than a decade. Upon his return to China in 2004, the literary community received him with honor and praise. Duo Duo currently resides on Hainan Island and teaches at Hainan University in China.

Chinese poet Mai Mang (Yibing Huang), who currently teaches Chinese literature at Connecticut College, served on the Neustadt Prize jury and nominated Duo Duo for the award. He notes that “Duo Duo is a great lone traveler crossing borders of nation, language and history, as well as a resolute seer of some of the most basic, universal human values that have often been shadowed in our troubled modern time: creativity, nature, love, dreams and wishful thinking.” Robert Con Davis‐Undiano, WLT’s executive director, adds that “Duo Duo is foremost among a group of first‐rate Chinese poets who deserve serious attention and recognition in the West.”

The Neustadt Prize, awarded every two years, is the only international literary award from the United States for which poets, playwrights and novelists are given equal consideration. It is widely considered to be the most prestigious international prize after the Nobel Prize in Literature and, in fact, is often referred to as the “American Nobel” because of its record of 27 laureates, candidates or jurors who in the past 39 years have been awarded Nobel Prizes following their involvement with the Neustadt Prize. Duo Duo is the 21st Neustadt laureate and the first Chinese author to win the prize. Duo Duo will visit OU in fall 2010 to accept the award.

For info, that international jury in full:
Sefi Atta
Horacio Castellano Moya
Aleksandar Hemon
Etgar Keret
Joanne Leedom-Ackerman
Mai Mang
Claire Messud
Pireeni Sundaralingam
Niloufar Talebi
And the others under consideration were:
Ha Jin
Ricardo Piglia
Michael Ondaatje
Haruki Murakami
Margaret Atwood
A.B. Yehoshua
Athol Fugard
Shahriar Mandanipour

Daniel del Real

Re: Neustadt International Prize for Literature 2010

Very interesting. Thanks a lot Stewart for letting us know more about this prize I had heard about, but I had no idea about its importance.

The jury credentials are impressive. I have no idea of who the winner is, but if it was selected by such good authors as Aleksandar Hemon, Horacio Castellanos Moya and Etgar Keret it makes me want to read it even more.

The list of other writers considered is also riddled with excellent writers.

Here you can see the list of previous winners with such big names like Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez, Octavio Paz and Czeslaw Milosz.

Neustadt International Prize for Literature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Re: Mia Couto wins 2014 Neustadt International Prize

Clearly the frontrunner for major prizes among Portuguese language writers now. No chance for Gonçalo M. Tavares to overtake Mia Couto anytime soon - even for the prizes that don't steer clear of authors of metaliterary stuff.

Daniel del Real

Neustadt International Prize for Literature 2016

Dubravka Ugrešić was recently announced as winner for this year. Here is the press release:

http://neustadtprize.org/dubravka-u...ernational-prize-for-literature/#.Vi64n36rSUk

I've only read The Ministry of Pain, and I thought it was good, but nothing more than that. Didn't move me to look for more of her works. Does she has something that can be caller her masterpiece?

However, among the female oriented shortlist (http://neustadtprize.org/finalists-...ernational-prize-for-literature/#.Vi64636rSUk) she mas the more viable winner due to international presence. Guadalupe Nettel is a very good writer, but she is young her body if works is quite short yet.

Daniel del Real

Re: Neustadt International Prize for Literature 2016

Here's the finalists lists for the Neustadt Prize since its creation in 1970 to this years award. It is interesting to see competitions of the early years as there are amazing ones.
Take for example 1986 where among the finalists were Wole Soyinka, Francisco Ayala, Primo Levi, Kenzaburo Oe, Jorge Luis Borges, Günter Grass, Yves Bonnefoy and Eugene Ionesco. Hard to believe Max Frisch won the prize that year.
Anyway, here you go. Enjoy:

http://www.neustadtprize.org/the-neustadt-prize/neustadt-finalists/

Vazquez

Reader

That´s interesting, thank you.

Carlos Drummond de Andrade was finalist two times...

Bob Dylan was at least once.

It is, generally speaking, a pretty fantastic list. Nice to see so many different names considered each year too. A few that I'm a little baffled by, but some which I have every intention of exploring.

redhead

Blahblahblah

I enjoy the Neustadt a lot but is anyone else a little put off by the "Nobel Convergences" section under the guide to the Neustadt? The Nobel's far from the end all be all and as far as I can tell all of their picks are great on their own, they don't need another prize to confirm the quality of their work.

Stevie B

Current Member

I enjoy the Neustadt a lot but is anyone else a little put off by the "Nobel Convergences" section under the guide to the Neustadt? The Nobel's far from the end all be all and as far as I can tell all of their picks are great on their own, they don't need another prize to confirm the quality of their work.

redheadshadz, I'm curious about your new avatar. Is it a picture of Jon Fosse?

redhead

Blahblahblah

Yup, it's Jon Fosse. Old one was Gene Wolfe.

Aren't they late this year with the neustadt announcement? Usually they do it in june or july. Haven't even announced the jury yet.

Oh, wow. What a coincidence. Just checked. They announced the Jury today. I know only one of them. Zia Haider Rehman.

Daniel del Real

Neustadt prize is biennial. They jury selected and recently announced is for the 2018 edition.

Daniel del Real

Here are the 9 finalists for the 2018 edition:

• Emmanuel Carrère: France
  • Edwidge Danticat: Haiti and US
  • Amitav Ghosh: India
  • Aracelis Girmay: US
  • Mohsin Hamid: Pakistan
  • Jamaica Kincaid: Antigua and US
  • Yusef Komunyakaa: US
  • Patricia Smith: US
  • Ludmila Ulitskaya: Russia

https://www.neustadtprize.org/finalists-2018-neustadt-international-prize-literature/

Here are the 9 finalists for the 2018 edition:

• Emmanuel Carrère: France
  • Edwidge Danticat: Haiti and US
  • Amitav Ghosh: India
  • Aracelis Girmay: US
  • Mohsin Hamid: Pakistan
  • Jamaica Kincaid: Antigua and US
  • Yusef Komunyakaa: US
  • Patricia Smith: US
  • Ludmila Ulitskaya: Russia

https://www.neustadtprize.org/finalists-2018-neustadt-international-prize-literature/

I'm not sure that this is actually a great shortlist. There are a few names I'm not familiar with. I do recognize Emmanuel Carrere, Amitav Ghosh, Mohsin Hamid, Jamaica Kincaid, Patricia Smith, and Ludmila Ulitskaya.

Only two of those might have the potential to be worthy of this prize based on what little I have read about them (and have yet to read anything by them). Ulitskaya and Carrere.

I don't see it going to anybody else, that is for sure.

hoodoo

Reader
I just purchased Emmanuel Carrère's book, The Kingdom (Le Royaume in French). I haven't read it yet, but its gotten rave reviews in french and the english translation has been well received. "A brilliant, shocking book" - The Guardian.