Neustadt International Prize for Literature

Americanreader

Just read a collection of Abdellatif Laabi's poems, and they were really excellent, even in translation. I'd say check him out. He was nominated for the 2020 award.

Sisyphus

Reader
It looks like this year the Neustadt Literature Festival is online and one can register for free.

On October 21st is Mr.Kadare's acceptance speech for the Neustadt Prize, and the same day is the (online) English premiere of Kadare's freshly translated play Mauvaise Saison sur l'Olympe/ Stormy Weather on Mt.Olympus.

Daniel del Real

Here are the nominees for this year's Neustadt prize:

A list of mostly unknown writers to me. I only know, Boubacar Boris Diop, Ludmilla Petrushevskaya & of course Cristina Rivera Garza, for which I apologize as a mexican if anyone dares to give her books a chance.

Americanreader

Naomi Shihab Nye is a good Palestinian American poet. I'd recommend her book Fuel. Natalie Diaz is also a fine poet. Her representative text, Post colonial love poem just won the Pulitzer and was very good. I read it when it was short listed for the National Book Award, and it was one of the ones that I enjoyed. Dawes I know because he edits the literary magazine Prairie Schooner, but as far as his own work goes, I can't comment on its quality. He does have an eye for talent, though. The other writers are not familiar to me, so I'm excited to sample some of their work.

hayden

Here are the nominees for this year's Neustadt prize:

A list of mostly unknown writers to me. I only know, Boubacar Boris Diop, Ludmilla Petrushevskaya & of course Cristina Rivera Garza, for which I apologize as a mexican if anyone dares to give her books a chance.

Apart from Petrushevskaya (who, is not Ludmila Ulitskaya, no matter how much I get the two confused) this seems like a rather obscure selection, even with the last two selections considered. I've read nothing by any of the others, and I think the only other one I've even heard of before is Diaz. A lot of poets though, which is nice to see. I'll see if I can find anything by some of them here-and-there.

I have no idea who will win. Wild comparing the nominees' notoriety from even 2012 to now. Surprised there isn't a repeat big name like Can Xue, Banville, Atwood, or Aira.

tiganeasca

I know Diop from several of his books, though not Murambi--which was published more than two decades ago. He's an excellent writer and, by all accounts, Murambi is a highly deserving work.

Of the others, like Daniel, I only know Petrushevskaya and Garza, though I just know their names by reputation. I have not read either, though Daniel's animus makes me eager to tackle Garza. :giggle:

redhead

Blahblahblah
I’ve been meaning to check out Postcolonial Love Poem!

Also, has anyone heard of Jean-Pierre Balpe before? I found this article at the literary saloon and thought it was interesting. Hopefully the theories behind his work make it a lot less gimmicky than the other experimental “e lit” works I’ve seen.

Morbid Swither

Naomi Shihab Nye is a good Palestinian American poet. I'd recommend her book Fuel. Natalie Diaz is also a fine poet. Her representative text, Post colonial love poem just won the Pulitzer and was very good. I read it when it was short listed for the National Book Award, and it was one of the ones that I enjoyed. Dawes I know because he edits the literary magazine Prairie Schooner, but as far as his own work goes, I can't comment on its quality. He does have an eye for talent, though. The other writers are not familiar to me, so I'm excited to sample some of their work.
I had the privilege of meeting Nye when I was in high school. Lovely, lovely person. I enjoy her poetry, but ultimately most of her work is for a younger audience. I respect that greatly, but as such, feels a bit simplistic in comparison. I have read Fuel several times over the years and it always inspires wonder.

hayden

I've read nothing by any of the others, and I think the only other one I've even heard of before is Diaz. A lot of poets though, which is nice to see. I'll see if I can find anything by some of them here-and-there.

I have no idea who will win.

After finding/reading collections by Kwame Dawes and Michális Ganás, I have to say I quiet like both of them. Not bulletproof work, both have some bumps in the road, but overall their output is quite strong. I'd be fine with either of them winning. (Actually, I think Dawes will).

Also read a work by both Cristina Rivera Garza and Naomi Shihab Nye, but sadly didn't care for either (and, honestly, thought they leaned towards bad). Neither is a recommend work by Neustadt though. Perhaps I picked the wrong ones to read.

Bartleby

Boubacar Boris Diop has won the 2022 Neustadt International Prize for Literature.

EDIT: Just noticed, on his birthday nonetheless.
I was just seeing today one of his books they’ve translated here, Murambi: The Book of Bones (I believe it’s the only one we have, but can be wrong), at the mall’s bookshop while waiting the Dune showing to start.

I believe I remember other members speaking well of him here, so I suppose it’s been a good choice :)

tiganeasca

I likewise nominated him for the 2022 Wolfie. Good to know that DouglasM and the Neustadt and I are all of a like mind. ;) (FWIW, I would also recommend The Knight and His Shadow. A bit strange, a bit difficult, a bit obscure, but worth the time.)

Daniel del Real

I'm really happy this is being Africa's year: first the Nobel for Gurnah, the Camoes to Chiziane and now this. It was about time
I wonder if we'll ever have a Cervantes Prize winner from Africa. I know the sample of african writers in Spanish is quite small, but I'm thinking of Donato Ndongo as a very worthy candidate. Don't see it coming anyway.

I've also read Murambi: the Book of Bones and quite liked it. Many years ago I had the chance to attend to a panel table with him at FIL Guadalajara. At that time there was not a single one of his books at the whole bookfair so it was only years after I picked that book and read it. Unfortunately it's the only one so far, although I think there are a couple more translated to Spanish, both hard to get (one is out of print, the other published by a small publishing in Spain)

Ben Jackson

Neustadt Prize has been awarded to great writers who were considered/ awarded the Nobel. As for the winners awarded, here are some of the winners I've read, at least a book:

Giuseppe Ungaretti
Garcia Marquez
Czeslow Milosz
Octavio Paz
Max Frisch
Tomas Transtromer
Assia Djeber
Nurundin Farrah
Mia Couto
Dubravka Ugresic
Ismail Kadare

I was very impressed with the shortlisted writers in the years before 2010, but recently the quality of the shortlist has somewhat declined. To be honest, I don't know why.

How many recipients of this great prize have you guys read?

alik-vit

Reader
And it's short list.

A lot of new names. Actually, almost all of names are new for me.

Benny Profane

Chris Abani (Nigeria) / Sanctificum
Angie Cruz (U.S.) / How Not to Drown in a Glass of Water
Ananda Devi (Mauritius) / Eve out of Her Ruins
Jenny Erpenbeck (Germany) / The End of Days
Nona Fernández (Chile) / The Twilight Zone
Juan Felipe Herrera (U.S.) / Every Day We Get More Illegal
Maxine Hong Kingston (U.S.) / The Woman Warrior
Valeria Luiselli (Mexico) / Lost Children Archive
Shahrnush Parsipur (Iran) / Women without Men

Benny Profane

Well, about the list: I believe Ananda Devi, Jenny Erpenbeck and Maxine Hong are the most known names and the favorites for the Prize.

Valeria Luiselli is very young (39 years old) and the critics about her works are mixed and the rest of these authors I don't know them.

I'm very curious about Shahrnush Parsipur.

Last edited: