New Zealand Literature

Eric

Former Member
This anthology appeals to the doubly insecure. First they read a book called "The Best New Zealand Poems" by one or two people who fancy themselves as arbiters of taste. Then, when they've finished that, never having made one discovery or taste decision themselves, they go onto the best of the best. Wilkins and... Manhire. What a name for a guru. Is he for hire or does he hire the men himself?

Liam

Administrator
A short review of Wulf, by Hamish Clayton:

Early nineteenth century New Zealand - the great chief Te Rauparaha has conquered tiny Kapiti Island, from where Ngati Toa launches brutal attacks on its southern enemies. Off the coast of Kapiti, English trader John Stewart seeks to trade with Te Rauparaha, setting off a train of events that forever change the course of New Zealand history.

Narrated by two English sailors on board Stewart's ship, these events are also eerily resonant of a more distant memory, stretching back into mythology, of the charismatic leader Wulf and an ancient lament. History, it seems, may be repeating itself.

Wulf, Hamish Clayton's inventive, brilliant first novel, explores a subject little covered in New Zealand fiction, and marks the emergence of a startlingly assured, exciting new voice.

51Yh-zn9QNL._SS500_.jpg

Eric

Former Member
I didn't know that New Zealand was Guest of Honour at Frankfurt. There's not been much, if anything, in the English-language press outside of New Zealand itself over the past six months to remind us. It is, potentially, a very interesting literature, though what is written in Maori does need good translations. The more dominant English-language literature has had quite a few writers over the past century or so. I've got that thick book called "The Oxford Companion to New Zealand Literature" (600 pages of short articles about individual authors), which takes you up to 1998, but I've not looked at it lately. But there's much more to their literature than Janet Frame and Katherine Mansfield.

matt.todd

Reader
I was in New Zealand at the beginning of the year and picked up some good stuff - turns out there are great second-hand bookstores in Wellington. Though it is very windy - I've never been so scared to be in a plane in my entire life.

Anyhoo, I picked up:

The Uncle's Story, by Witi Ihimaera, which is a novel with two narratives dealing with what it means to be Maori and gay. Ihimaera doesn't hold back in his criticism of intransigent indigenous cultures and their refusal to move with the times in relation to gay rights and what not. Surprisingly powerful.

Wulf, by Hamish Clayton, which is an excellent first novel. It's beautifully done.

and finally, Living in the Maniototo, by Janet Frame. I've only just finished it, and haven't put up a coherent review yet, mainly because I still don't know what I think of it. It's very clever, though it takes a long time for the reader to realise just how clever it is.

Liam

Administrator
I'm glad you enjoyed Janet Frame's book, Matt.

Not sure, but I think The Uncle's Story was recently made into a film, albeit with a different title.

Ah. A topic after my own heart. I love New Zealand.

The best "Kiwi" writer of her generation, undoubtedly, was Janet Frame, who became famous in the 50s and 60s for her superbly written novels and, more recently, for her triple-tiered autobiography, which her fellow New Zealander, Jane Campion, has turned into a 2-and-a-half hour biopic:

301_box_348x490.jpg

In 2004, the New Zealand Listener selected "the top 50 best New Zealand books," including several works of non-fiction:

1. OWLS DO CRY, Janet Frame (1957)
2. TO THE IS-LAND, Janet Frame (1982)
3. THE GARDEN PARTY, Katherine Mansfield (1922)
5. THE LAGOON, Janet Frame (1951)
6. PLUMB, Maurice Gee (1978)
7. AN ANGEL AT MY TABLE, Janet Frame (1984)
8. IN A GERMAN PENSION, Katherine Mansfield (1911)
9. TUTIRA: The Story of a New Zealand Sheep Station, Herbert Guthrie-Smith (1921)
10. THE BONE PEOPLE, Keri Hulme (1983)
11. THAT SUMMER, Frank Sargeson (1946)
12. MAN ALONE, John Mulgan (1939)
13. THE SCARECROW, Ronald Hugh Morrieson (1963)
14. NEW ZEALAND TREES, J T Salmon (1980)
15. MEG, Maurice Gee (1981)
16. NO ORDINARY SUN, Hone Tuwhare (1964)
17. O'LEARY'S ORCHARD, Maurice Duggan (1970)
18. PENGUIN HISTORY OF NEW ZEALAND, Keith Sinclair (1959)
19. THE SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND FROM THE ROAD, Robin Morrison (1981)
20. ONCE WERE WARRIORS, Alan Duff (1990)
21. SING TO ME, DREAMER, Shonagh Koea (1994)
22. JERUSALEM SONNETS, James K Baxter (1970)
23. TOMORROW WE SAVE THE ORPHANS, Owen Marshall (1992)
24. POUNAMU, POUNAMU, Witi Ihimaera (1972)
25. THE NEW ZEALAND WARS, James Belich (1986)
26. TIMELESS LAND, Grahame Sydney, Brian Turner and Owen Marshall (1995)
27. THE BOOK OF FAME, Lloyd Jones (2000)
28. POTIKI, Patricia Grace (1986)
29. BELIEVERS TO THE BRIGHT COAST, by Vincent O'Sullivan (1998)
30. PENGUIN BOOK OF NEW ZEALAND VERSE, edited by Allen Curnow (1960)
31. THE LIFE OF CAPTAIN COOK, James Beaglehole (1974)
32. TE PUEA, Michael King (1977)
33. THE SEASON OF THE JEW, Maurice Shadbolt (1986)
34. DICTIONARY OF NEW ZEALAND ENGLISH, edited by Harry Orsman (1997)
35. GOING WEST, Maurice Gee (1992)
36. THE HAUNTING, Margaret Mahy (1982)
37. CAME A HOT FRIDAY, Ronald Hugh Morrieson (1964)
38. ALL VISITORS ASHORE, C K Stead (1984)
39. ONCE IS ENOUGH, by Frank Sargeson (1973)
40. PIG ISLAND LETTERS, James K Baxter (1966)
41. SINGS HARRY, Denis Glover (1951)
42. THE STORY OF A NEW ZEALAND RIVER, Jane Mander (1920)
43. TREES, EFFIGIES, Allen Curnow (1972)
44. COAL FLAT, Bill Pearson (1963)
45. THE PENGUIN HISTORY OF NEW ZEALAND, Michael King (2003)
46. NO NEW THING, R A K Mason (1934)
47. TAWA, Elizabeth Knox (1998)
48. A PASSPORT TO HELL, Robin Hyde (1936)
49. A REPORT ON EXPERIENCE, John Mulgan (1947)
50. THE TEHRAN CONTRACT, Gayle Rivers (1981)

Other than Frame, Mansfield (whom I would classify as an expat) and the omnipresent Witi Ihimaera (recently accused of plagiarism), I've not read anything else from the list, except the first 20 pages or so of Keri Hulme's Bone People, which I found to be utterly unreadable. I have the first volume of Belich's History of New Zealand at home but haven't opened it yet.

WW, with your recent and surging interest in children's books, you might want to take a look at Frame's beautifully written short story (NB: written for children, not young adults), Mona Minim and the Smell of the Sun:

51HRQ4CQ2RL._SS500_.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread; let's see what Refus has to say!

This list of New Zealand classics is very useful. I am woefully underread in this literature, except for some Katherine Mansfield short stories and Witi Ihimaera’s short story collection Pounamu, Pounamu, MANY years ago although I recall that it was quite good.

I recently purchased a copy of Frank Sargeson’s Memoirs of a Peon, so that is on the horizon. I have long been curious about Sargeson because Martin Seymour-Smith is so enthusiastic about him.

Liam

Administrator
One title you can add to the above list (compiled before this book came out) is Eleanor Catton's The Luminaries, one of the best English-language novels in recent years, very imaginative.

I see I described Keri Hulme's novel as "unreadable" in my former post. I no longer think that--I think both the language and the structure are quite innovative and lovely. I guess this is what they mean by "growing up"? :)

Although I now stay out of the prize threads because my fulminations would grow tedious, it does seem that Witi Ihimaera, as a leading indigenous writer, would be a reasonable candidate for the Nobel Prize except that he has been involved with plagiarism scandals not once but twice, related to his novels The Matriarch and The Trowenna Sea.

I am reminded of the controversy surrounding Yambo Ouologuem’s Bound to Violence, which Michael Orthofer deals with quite fairly here:

https://www.complete-review.com/reviews/mali/ouology.htm

Ben Jackson

Ah. A topic after my own heart. I love New Zealand.

The best "Kiwi" writer of her generation, undoubtedly, was Janet Frame, who became famous in the 50s and 60s for her superbly written novels and, more recently, for her triple-tiered autobiography, which her fellow New Zealander, Jane Campion, has turned into a 2-and-a-half hour biopic:

301_box_348x490.jpg

In 2004, the New Zealand Listener selected "the top 50 best New Zealand books," including several works of non-fiction:

1. OWLS DO CRY, Janet Frame (1957)
2. TO THE IS-LAND, Janet Frame (1982)
3. THE GARDEN PARTY, Katherine Mansfield (1922)
5. THE LAGOON, Janet Frame (1951)
6. PLUMB, Maurice Gee (1978)
7. AN ANGEL AT MY TABLE, Janet Frame (1984)
8. IN A GERMAN PENSION, Katherine Mansfield (1911)
9. TUTIRA: The Story of a New Zealand Sheep Station, Herbert Guthrie-Smith (1921)
10. THE BONE PEOPLE, Keri Hulme (1983)
11. THAT SUMMER, Frank Sargeson (1946)
12. MAN ALONE, John Mulgan (1939)
13. THE SCARECROW, Ronald Hugh Morrieson (1963)
14. NEW ZEALAND TREES, J T Salmon (1980)
15. MEG, Maurice Gee (1981)
16. NO ORDINARY SUN, Hone Tuwhare (1964)
17. O'LEARY'S ORCHARD, Maurice Duggan (1970)
18. PENGUIN HISTORY OF NEW ZEALAND, Keith Sinclair (1959)
19. THE SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND FROM THE ROAD, Robin Morrison (1981)
20. ONCE WERE WARRIORS, Alan Duff (1990)
21. SING TO ME, DREAMER, Shonagh Koea (1994)
22. JERUSALEM SONNETS, James K Baxter (1970)
23. TOMORROW WE SAVE THE ORPHANS, Owen Marshall (1992)
24. POUNAMU, POUNAMU, Witi Ihimaera (1972)
25. THE NEW ZEALAND WARS, James Belich (1986)
26. TIMELESS LAND, Grahame Sydney, Brian Turner and Owen Marshall (1995)
27. THE BOOK OF FAME, Lloyd Jones (2000)
28. POTIKI, Patricia Grace (1986)
29. BELIEVERS TO THE BRIGHT COAST, by Vincent O'Sullivan (1998)
30. PENGUIN BOOK OF NEW ZEALAND VERSE, edited by Allen Curnow (1960)
31. THE LIFE OF CAPTAIN COOK, James Beaglehole (1974)
32. TE PUEA, Michael King (1977)
33. THE SEASON OF THE JEW, Maurice Shadbolt (1986)
34. DICTIONARY OF NEW ZEALAND ENGLISH, edited by Harry Orsman (1997)
35. GOING WEST, Maurice Gee (1992)
36. THE HAUNTING, Margaret Mahy (1982)
37. CAME A HOT FRIDAY, Ronald Hugh Morrieson (1964)
38. ALL VISITORS ASHORE, C K Stead (1984)
39. ONCE IS ENOUGH, by Frank Sargeson (1973)
40. PIG ISLAND LETTERS, James K Baxter (1966)
41. SINGS HARRY, Denis Glover (1951)
42. THE STORY OF A NEW ZEALAND RIVER, Jane Mander (1920)
43. TREES, EFFIGIES, Allen Curnow (1972)
44. COAL FLAT, Bill Pearson (1963)
45. THE PENGUIN HISTORY OF NEW ZEALAND, Michael King (2003)
46. NO NEW THING, R A K Mason (1934)
47. TAWA, Elizabeth Knox (1998)
48. A PASSPORT TO HELL, Robin Hyde (1936)
49. A REPORT ON EXPERIENCE, John Mulgan (1947)
50. THE TEHRAN CONTRACT, Gayle Rivers (1981)

Other than Frame, Mansfield (whom I would classify as an expat) and the omnipresent Witi Ihimaera (recently accused of plagiarism), I've not read anything else from the list, except the first 20 pages or so of Keri Hulme's Bone People, which I found to be utterly unreadable. I have the first volume of Belich's History of New Zealand at home but haven't opened it yet.

WW, with your recent and surging interest in children's books, you might want to take a look at Frame's beautifully written short story (NB: written for children, not young adults), Mona Minim and the Smell of the Sun:

51HRQ4CQ2RL._SS500_.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread; let's see what Refus has to say!

I have heard and read books from Australia: White, Murnane, few poems of Les Murray, Peter Carey and the rest of them, but I haven't read any book from New Zealand, except one or two stories of Katherine Mansfield, a writer in the same generation as Woolf and Joyce. Have heard of Patricia Grace but haven't read her yet. Nice list, though. I think I would look for some books of Janet Frame, the Stories of Kate Mansfield, and, possibly, The Bone People and The Luminaries.

Liam

Administrator
This interview with Keri Hulme, who was famously allergic to most interviews, is really beautiful: allowing you to see into the artist's mind and heart. It is a pity she never found the strength to finish her second novel. I knew she died in December of last year, but I didn't know that she died of dementia! This is probably why she was unable to work on her writing.

nagisa

Spiky member
Finished Janet Frame's Faces in the Water, which blew my socks off, but was a hard read. She is not discussed enough here — except of course by forum luminaries @Liam and @tiganeasca ! Despite the fact that she occupies four of the top ten places in the 2004 NZ best of list Liam posted almost a decade and a half ago. She made her place on my reading list thanks to the forum, and as usual, I'm grateful I listened; if a bit late !

alik-vit

Reader
Finished Janet Frame's Faces in the Water, which blew my socks off, but was a hard read. She is not discussed enough here — except of course by forum luminaries @Liam and @tiganeasca ! Despite the fact that she occupies four of the top ten places in the 2004 NZ best of list Liam posted almost a decade and a half ago. She made her place on my reading list thanks to the forum, and as usual, I'm grateful I listened; if a bit late !
Great to read it. Few days ago I pre-ordered this novel in Russian translation. I have on my shelf omnibus of her autobiographies too, but didn't read it yet.