Nigerian Literature

tiganeasca

While we have a thread for African Literature--which, frankly, strikes me as odd since we don't have one for European Literature or Asian Literature--I believe that what follows more properly belongs in a long-overdue thread devoted to Nigeria and its many excellent authors. Of course, having said that, my first post will be something slightly different. From time to time, I have posted columns posted in a New York Times series devoted to the literature of many different world cities. Now, they have finally arrived at Lagos. And so I excerpt that column below.

Read Your Way Through Lagos
By Stephen Buoro
Feb. 7, 2024

Lagos is an experience of a lifetime. The city will enchant and wreck you. The bedlam. The 15-minute journeys that stretch to five hours because of traffic jams. The multitudes everywhere you turn, each individual fizzing with hope and energy and stories, each unfazed by the maladies of living here — crumbling infrastructure, an oppressive kleptocratic government, the daily whiff of disasters brewing.
Lagos, or Èkó (as it’s known in Yoruba), is a city of paradoxes, of extremes. Every condition exists prodigiously here. This is why Lagosians sometimes quip, “Èkó no dey carry last”: “Lagos never ranks last in anything.” Take housing. In the neighborhoods of Lekki and Ikoyi, you’ll find mansions posher than any in Manhattan or Mayfair. But across the Lagos Lagoon, you’ll find a floating city: thousands of families living in shacks built over stinking waters.
With more than 15 million people, Lagos is Nigeria’s capital of culture, finance and entertainment. It is the laboratory of two of Nigeria’s major cultural exports: music (including Afrobeat) and cinema (Nollywood). Afrobeat songs chart high on the Billboard Hot 100; Nollywood is the world’s second-largest movie industry by output. Even when I was a boy growing up in northern Nigeria, hundreds of miles away, the city was my reality. Like most Nigerians, it informed my identity — culturally, linguistically, philosophically.
Each time I visit, time seems both to freeze and to hasten. Every moment amid the orchestra of Lagos’s streets or the polychrome of its markets, every stop at its psychedelic owambe parties or its devious police checkpoints, every conversation overheard or scene witnessed makes me wiser, more conscious, more human.

What should I read before I pack my bags?
Although Lagos is ever-changing, like most Nigerian cities, its spirit, and how it informs its residents, remains largely consistent. Thus, many modern classics still offer powerful and faithful evocations of the city.
Set mostly between 1930s and 1940s Lagos, Buchi Emecheta’s novel “The Joys of Motherhood” follows Nnu Ego as she navigates childlessness and the challenges of womanhood and motherhood in a patriarchal society. Emecheta, with immense deftness and subtlety, provides a haunting and forceful attack on patriarchy, sexism and misogyny in Nigeria, and indicates how they taint and limit a nation.
Corruption, a major societal ill in Nigeria, is unsurprisingly a prevalent theme in the nation’s literature. In Chinua Achebe’s novel “No Longer at Ease,the sequel to his masterpiece “Things Fall Apart,the author examines how Nigeria’s endemic corruption results from the exploitation of colonialism, and how everyone in the nation ends up both perpetrator and victim. The novel also explores the clash between traditionalism and so-called modernity, a key Achebean concern.
Area boys (agbèrò in Yoruba) are the street gangs of Lagos. In “The Beatification of Area Boy,” by Wole Soyinka, a multilayered, exhilarating and moving play, the author presents a day in the life of Sanda, a security officer and the “King of Area Boys,” unraveling his relationship with the tenants and patrons of a Lagosian shopping center. The play begins with a seemingly quotidian sunrise. But as the action proceeds, we see how extraordinary the “sunrise” and the day are — and, by extension, how monstrous the problems plaguing Nigeria are: the brutality of dictatorship, the all-pervading corruption, the staggering poverty and inequality.
Many Nigerians believe in the supernatural, and this often stems from the animistic ontology that undergirds self and being in many Nigerian communities. This is exactly why Ben Okri’s “The Famished Road” is stunning. The novel employs “animist realism” in depicting the phantasmagoric experiences of Azaro, an abiku (“spirit-child”) who negotiates between our mundane world and the “spirit-world” to which his spirit companions attempt to lure him back. Although set before Nigeria’s independence from Britain in 1960, its Lagos street scenes are some of the most vivid I’ve read.
For a historical overview, I’d recommend “Lagos: A Cultural History,” by Kaye Whiteman. It traces the history of the city from the arrival of Portuguese explorers in 1472 to the British takeover in 1861 and contemporary times. It takes us through the topography of Lagos (the Island-Mainland dichotomy), the streets and their stories, the city’s nightlife and its film, music, art and literary scenes.

tiganeasca

PART II

What books should I bring along with me?
Teju Cole’s novelEvery Day Is for the Thiefis styled like a travelogue. The unnamed narrator has just returned to Lagos from New York after 15 years. He wanders around the city musing on its danfo buses, internet scammers, area boys, policemen, music center and the like. He characterizes the body language of Lagosians as one of “undiluted self-assurance,” their facial expressions proclaiming, “Trust me, you don’t want to mess with me,” all to counter the area boys. You’ll find Lagos at its very best (its people warm, stoic, wildly creative) and at its worst (street lynchings). Throughout the narrative, there is a sense of decay, one that mirrors that of the entire nation. In a poignant episode, the narrator visits the Nigerian National Museum in the Onikan neighborhood and finds the exhibits meager, the sculptures and plaques “caked in dust” and “badly mildewed.”
Chris Abani’s postmodern “GraceLand” is mostly set in 1980s Lagos in the swampy slums of Maroko. Elvis, 16, is a high school dropout. He aspires to become a professional dancer. At first, he tries to subsist by impersonating Elvis Presley for white expatriates, wearing a wig and dousing his face with talcum powder. His friend Redemption leads him into crime, with devastating consequences. At times brutal and horrific, the novel is also tender and hopeful in its portrayal of deprivation, dictatorship and disillusionment. Moreover, its pastiche narrative includes notes on Igbo philosophy and recipes for delectable Nigerian dishes.
In contrast to Abani’s Elvis, Enitan, the protagonist of Sefi Atta’s “Everything Good Will Come,grows up middle class. Born in 1960, the year Nigeria gained independence, Enitan’s transition into womanhood takes place against a backdrop of the Nigerian civil war, military juntas and widespread corruption. Despite her privileged position (she works as a lawyer and later as a banker), she struggles to navigate her patriarchal society, the recurrent sexism she suffers (even from her father) and the trauma of a friend’s rape. The affecting narrative proffers feminist solutions for a troubled nation.
In Lagos, you’ll want to try some Nigerian food. The classic Nigerian jollof? The aromatic suya or moin-moin? Whatever your appetite, “Longthroat Memoirs: Soups, Sex and Nigerian Taste Buds,” by Yemisi Aribisala, is built for it. This fascinating collection of essays is part memoir, part cookbook and part epicurean treatise — and employs Nigerian cuisine as a framework for analyzing Nigerian society, culture and folklore. Significant themes include the urban-rural divide, the chafing of the traditional against “the modern” and the ethics underpinning the consumption of controversial foods such as dog meat. Aribisala’s prose is energetic, adroit, a joy to read. The book complements the recipes in Abani’s “GraceLand.”
For many Nigerians, Lagos is the gateway to life overseas because of its bustling Murtala Muhammed International Airport. You’ll often find Lagosians talking about migration and the glories of living abroad. Chika Unigwe’s touching page-turner On Black Sisters Streetand Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s gripping Americanahoffer different treatments of this subject of movement. In Unigwe’s novel, four young women pushed to desperation by the dearth of opportunities in Lagos are lured by a pimp who traffics them to Belgium, where they are forced to engage in sex work. Adichie’s novel stretches across three continents and charts the lives of the secondary-school lovers Ifemelu, who migrates to the United States, and Obinze, who heads to Britain. They each confront the shocks of migration, such as racism, inequality and a crisis of identity.

What books can take me behind closed doors, show me other facets of the city?
“Blackass,”
by A. Igoni Barrett, tells the unforgettable story of Furo Wariboko, who wakes up one morning to discover that he’s been transformed into a white man. He roams around Lagos, from Egbeda to Lekki, benefiting from the privileges of his new identity. The novel is an absorbing, satirical tale about internalized racial oppression in Nigeria, and a hilarious response to Kafka’s “The Metamorphosis.”
Vagabonds!,” by Eloghosa Osunde, is one of the most linguistically perceptive Nigerian novels I’ve ever read, reminiscent of Amos Tutuola’s “The Palm-Wine Drinkard.” This vibrant, polyphonic novel-in-stories is a sizzling indictment of Nigeria’s entrenched homophobia and anti-L.G.B.T.Q. laws. Drawing on Nigerian myths and legends, the narrative is populated by a wide taxonomy of supernatural beings (spirits, fairies, the devil). Lagos is reanimated as a “cityspirit” called Èkó. The book takes us around the city, from its underground sex clubs to its fraudulent Pentecostal churches.
“Nearly All the Men in Lagos Are Mad,” by Damilare Kuku, a collection of short stories, presents a bewitching and revelatory portrait of Lagos. It delineates the romantic and sexual experiences of a broad spectrum of Lagosian women — including a boli seller, a hospital cleaner, a pastor’s wife, a businesswoman and a writer — the ways men repeatedly exploit them and the resilience they demonstrate.
I also recommend “Jagua Nana,” by Cyprian Ekwensi, a Nigerian classic that provides a Dickensian rendering of Lagos in the 1950s; “Lagoon,” by Nnedi Okorafor, which presents a sci-fi portrayal of the city; and, if you’re as fond of coming-of-age narratives as I am, Black Sunday, by Tola Rotimi Abraham, and Prince of Monkeys,” by Nnamdi Ehirim.

tiganeasca

I thought I would try to add a little more material to this thread by way of re-posting some reviews of Nigerian authors. I searched but couldn't find much, so I'm afraid that you're stuck reading my reviews. I'll keep searching but if you know of others, by all means add them!

There are, of course, also threads devoted to major Nigerian writers such as Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe, as well as threads on some of their individual works.

Though I can't find other posted reviews, other Nigerian authors I've read and would recommend include Amos Tutuola, Buchi Emecheta (see this thread on her Joys of Motherhood); Onuora Nzekwu, T. Obinkaram Echewa, Elechi Amadi, Flora Nwapa, T.M. Aluko. I'll post a review of a book by Cyprian Ekwensi below (I know I've read and enjoyed other works of his) and I'm writing one now on John Munonye.

I am sure Ben can add many more and I know that there are important writers I've omitted simply because I haven't read them yet, including Chigozie Obioma, Uwem Akpan, Sefi Atta, Chris Abani (who teaches at the university ten minutes away from me!), and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Finally, there is another well-regarded writer I should include and who I've read but haven't been impressed by, Gabriel Okara.

Chinua Achebe, Arrow of God
⭐⭐⭐⭐
One of his “African” trilogy (the second book of the three) and certainly the most “African” of the three (by which, I think I should say, I mean rural/tribally oriented. Not about city life, "modernity" in any way, or even colonialism, except tangentially). A great story, beautifully told. Rather than rely upon my dwindling intellectual resources, I’ll cheat and use another summary (that I think is particularly well done): “The novel is a meditation on the nature, uses, and responsibility of power and leadership. Ezeulu finds that his authority is increasingly under threat from rivals within his nation and functionaries of the newly established British colonial government. Yet he sees himself as untouchable. He is forced, with tragic consequences, to reconcile conflicting impulses in his own nature—a need to serve the protecting deity of his Umuaro people; a desire to retain control over their religious observances; and a need to gain increased personal power by pushing his authority to the limits. He ultimately fails as he leads his people to their own destruction, and consequently, his personal tragedy arises.”

Chinua Achebe, A Man of the People
⭐⭐+
I seem to have read Achebe’s best books (Things Fall Apart, Arrow of God) first (unintentionally). I have no idea what remains in store but the next two I read (No Longer at Ease and this) are distinctly not as good--or perhaps I should say, more accurately, that I did not enjoy them anywhere near as much. This book relates the story of Odili Samalu, a one-time student of Chief Nanga, who is now a highly successful, highly corrupt Minister of Culture. The two reunite, fall out, and then run for a seat in Parliament—against each other. Although the characters are complete and completely believable individuals, the story is so predictable as to be depressing. Odili is a member of the idealistic, rising generation; Nanga is the older, entrenched (and traditional) generation. But Nanga uses his position and the corruption of the new government to increase his own wealth and power. The focus of the book is political corruption in a newly independent (and unnamed) African country, Odili’s growing awareness of it, and its pervasiveness. The book was published in 1966 and brought Achebe into serious trouble with the authorities. As a result, he and his family fled to the region that would secede and become Biafra the following year. Worth reading because of who wrote it but I can’t particularly recommend it.

Chinua Achebe, Anthills of the Savannah
⭐⭐⭐+
Another impressive work by a master, dealing here with corruption at the highest levels of government in a fictitious post-colonial African state. There are really only four characters: Sam, Chris, Ikem, and Beatrice. The first three are English-educated friends who, after a military coup, find themselves as the nation’s president, Commissioner of Information, and editor of the nation’s principal newspaper—and friends no longer. Beatrice is a secretary in another ministry and Chris’s lover. Sam has surrounded himself with a ludicrous cabinet, a fact immensely troubling to the other three characters. Sam is terrified by his precariousness and vents his anger on the failure of Ikem’s home province, Abazon, to approve a referendum to make him president-for-life. Ikem is a crusading poet and journalist whose devotion to the truth and the people transcends political ideology. He becomes a popular hero of sorts after Sam dismisses him. Ikem’s spot-on critiques lead to the expected retaliation and Chris knows that he is next. As he goes into hiding, hoping to escape to Abazon, the country collapses into student revolt, midnight raids by Sam’s secret police, and a coup d’etat. Though Achebe develops Chris and Ikem and Beatrice as full and complete characters, Sam is far sketchier—a pity. Still, the writing is of uniformly high quality, incorporating clever political analysis as well as solid reliance on a Nigerian folktale and a nuanced consideration of the place of women—even Beatrice’s middle name becomes a matter of significance. I should also note that the characters occasionally speak the local pidgin among themselves; unless you are familiar with the local Nigerian version, my guess is that entire conversations will be incomprehensible to you on occasion, as they were to me. However, I saw one reviewer make the excellent point that its very incomprehensibility illustrates the alienation of the British-educated civil servants from their traditional culture while simultaneously honoring “the beauty and dignity of the folklore by which moral and behavioral standards were once transmitted.”

tiganeasca

And here are a few scattered others.

Cyprian Ekwensi, Burning Grass
⭐⭐⭐
Ekwensi, a highly regarded Nigerian novelist, may have originally intended this as Young Adult fiction. The publisher certainly did and was startled when it became extremely popular with all ages. That it did so is no surprise, I think. The story follows Mai Sunsaye, a Fulani herder and chief of his village in northern Nigeria. A rival successfully casts a spell on him, afflicting him with sokugo, the wandering sickness. The plot follows Sunsaye as he travels under this spell, reuniting with his sons and other intriguing characters at the same time providing a wonderful picture of society and life in a particular place and time (the 1950s). Ekwensi is a great storyteller; it’s no accident that Chinua Achebe, the editorial advisor to Heinemann’s African Writers Series, included three of Ekwensi’s books among the first publications of that estimable collection. Indeed, this was the second volume in that series, following directly upon the publication of Achebe’s Things Fall Apart. It, too, has great interest as a work of social anthropology, but Ekwensi is too good a writer to pass ignore. Whether you read this or some of his other works, I’d urge you to seek him out.

D. O. Fagunwa, Forest of a Thousand Daemons
⭐⭐⭐⭐
If you are familiar with Amos Tutuola’s works, this should be on your list because this is who Tutuola learned from. First published in 1939 (and translated by Wole Soyinka), this is a fundamental work in the Nigerian canon—indeed, perhaps the single most famous work in all of Nigerian literature. It explores the world of Yoruba myth by narrating the ”adventures” of Akara-ogun. The story is a quest, an allegory, a search for meaning and it is a true tour de force. (You can find the first thirty pages or so online, courtesy of City Lights Books, the indispensable San Francisco bookstore.) (P.S. For those who are put off by Tutuola's "style"--as I will often confess to being--this is much more straightforward, comprehensible, and--dare I say--enjoyable.)

Ben Okri, Stars of the New Curfew
⭐⭐+
This collection of stories reminds me of nothing so much as the classic by D.O. Fagunwa, also of Nigeria, Forest of a Thousand Daemons. I don’t think that these stories have the imagination or power of Fagunwa’s novel—which I parenthetically urge you to read; it’s brilliant—but they do share an emphasis on phantasmagoria drawn from local mythologies. The stories largely deal with the newly independent Nigeria as it falls prey to greed and violence and its ties to its history and traditional values begin to disintegrate. A promising work and I look forward to my next work by him.

Ben Jackson

And here are a few scattered others.

Cyprian Ekwensi, Burning Grass
⭐⭐⭐
Ekwensi, a highly regarded Nigerian novelist, may have originally intended this as Young Adult fiction. The publisher certainly did and was startled when it became extremely popular with all ages. That it did so is no surprise, I think. The story follows Mai Sunsaye, a Fulani herder and chief of his village in northern Nigeria. A rival successfully casts a spell on him, afflicting him with sokugo, the wandering sickness. The plot follows Sunsaye as he travels under this spell, reuniting with his sons and other intriguing characters at the same time providing a wonderful picture of society and life in a particular place and time (the 1950s). Ekwensi is a great storyteller; it’s no accident that Chinua Achebe, the editorial advisor to Heinemann’s African Writers Series, included three of Ekwensi’s books among the first publications of that estimable collection. Indeed, this was the second volume in that series, following directly upon the publication of Achebe’s Things Fall Apart. It, too, has great interest as a work of social anthropology, but Ekwensi is too good a writer to pass ignore. Whether you read this or some of his other works, I’d urge you to seek him out.

D. O. Fagunwa, Forest of a Thousand Daemons
⭐⭐⭐⭐
If you are familiar with Amos Tutuola’s works, this should be on your list because this is who Tutuola learned from. First published in 1939 (and translated by Wole Soyinka), this is a fundamental work in the Nigerian canon—indeed, perhaps the single most famous work in all of Nigerian literature. It explores the world of Yoruba myth by narrating the ”adventures” of Akara-ogun. The story is a quest, an allegory, a search for meaning and it is a true tour de force. (You can find the first thirty pages or so online, courtesy of City Lights Books, the indispensable San Francisco bookstore.) (P.S. For those who are put off by Tutuola's "style"--as I will often confess to being--this is much more straightforward, comprehensible, and--dare I say--enjoyable.)

Ben Okri, Stars of the New Curfew
⭐⭐+
This collection of stories reminds me of nothing so much as the classic by D.O. Fagunwa, also of Nigeria, Forest of a Thousand Daemons. I don’t think that these stories have the imagination or power of Fagunwa’s novel—which I parenthetically urge you to read; it’s brilliant—but they do share an emphasis on phantasmagoria drawn from local mythologies. The stories largely deal with the newly independent Nigeria as it falls prey to greed and violence and its ties to its history and traditional values begin to disintegrate. A promising work and I look forward to my next work by him.

Thank you so much for opening the thread on Nigerian literature, Tiga. Small correction though, Arrow of God is the third and final book in the African trilogy (TFA (1958), No Longer at Ease (1960) Arrow of God (1964).

Concerning Nigerian novels, here are some recommendations (21st Century 2000--2019 and excluding Adichie):

I Don't Come to You By Chance--- Adaobi Tricia Nwabani
Icarus Girl, Mr Fox--- Helen Oyeyemi
Arrow of Rain, Foreign Gods, Inc--- Okey Ndibe
Open City, Everyday for the Thief-- Teju Cole
Graceland, Becoming Abigail, Virgin Flames--- Chris Abani
Waiting for an Angel, Travelers-- Helon Habila
King's Rifle--- Biyi Bandele
Fine Boys--- Eghosa Imousen
Blackass--- A.Igoni Barrett
Fishermen, Orchestra of Minorities-- Chigozie Obioma
Stay with Me--- Ayo Ayobami
Everything Good'll Come--- Sefi Atta
In Arcadia--- Ben Okri
On Black Sisters Street--- Chika Unigwe

I will post more books as I'm very busy currently.

Ben Jackson

Among poetry volumes from Africa in this century, one of the finest remains Sahara Testaments by Tade Ipadeola, which has already acquired something of a classic status. The epic describes the history of Sahara, using as motif to explore migration, pains and suffering of the continent as well a colonialism impact on the continent. Here are some verses, I will carry out a more detailed analyses later on:

And in the beginning, it was verdant furrows
Aegyptosaurus, clams, strays from the sands
The Roman spectra cast vertebrate shadows
Through Fata Morgana on these immense lands.

Atlantic winds carries echoes from the Amazon
Rainforest, tectonic, twice remained by sea
Habitat of Thermidor, feast pastiche of Avalon
Flora breathed the nascent, levant air, free

From Meditterrean Speech, received rain
Cooling the dark earth and rocks annealed
Into the Sahel, this strength sure as grain
Of the cosmos, the vast universe congealed.

Transportation of fragments, task of first muse,
Began here and St Augustine, millennia hence
Would trace the fruit of God's abstruse
City through time into mighty impermanence.

XVIII
Dreaming of intersections in the sand, Mansa Musa
Treaded exactly. His wealth grew with the wobble
Of Earth's axis enroute where his accuser
Fledging inquisitor, waits with a day old stubble

XII
Receiving the harmattan in translation, old Oyo shivers
Unde blankets of cotton and linen
The tinder
Dry air thin rain-clogged lungs, turning rivers
Into cold liquid barriers. Carcass burns to cinder
Wildfires spread like plagues, dust like talcum
Settles on everything in sight. The harmattan translates rainforests
Into brown-season void as vacuum
Where deciduous things shed green until the void abates.