Nobel Prize in Literature 1970

Dante

Wild Reader
Last edited:

hayden

I feel like that's a bizarre excuse for not posting a pdf, but oh well. I'll look forward to it on Feb 1st. Usually a handful of new recommendations every year.

Bartleby

Yeah, I was about to ask somewhere here why we hadn’t gotten the 1970 nominations yet... figured it had something to do with the vid...

Marba

Reader
At first it was said that the 1970 archives would be published at 1st February, but it has now been postponed until further notice.

Bartleby

At first it was said that the 1970 archives would be published at 1st February, but it has now been postponed until further notice.
Oh when I saw it was you who’d posted here I thought we’d have the nominations at last :(

Dante

Wild Reader
The Swedish Academy will finally open its archives about the Nobel Prize in Literature from 1970.
Fun fact: you have to make an appointment.

Anyone taking a spin to Stockholm on Monday?

hayden

The Swedish Academy will finally open its archives about the Nobel Prize in Literature from 1970.
Fun fact: you have to make an appointment.

Anyone taking a spin to Stockholm on Monday?

Always something new with these people.

Do you think this means they'll be posted online soon, or, well... not so soon?

Dante

Wild Reader
I really have no idea. This whole story about 1970's archives is becoming increasingly surrealistic.

This is likely a management of work issue. We aren't fully clear on what kind of impact COVID-19 has had on the Swedish Academy. They might have fewer resources, fewer people, extremely limited access to the work site, and policies in place to limit the number of people who have access to these particular files (just to help keep them sealed for some long). And does anybody have a sense on what kinds of regulations - ups and downs - have happened in Sweden over the past 6 months?

Archival management is tough work. Digitization is tough work. Reviewing the documents, writing a report, preparing them for public release, and so much more - all of this is tough work. I think the ease of access to information on the internet means many people forget that information and information management is, actually, an exchange of labour for time and compensation - not some magical, mystical process by which knowledge magically appears. We have been alienated from that process and our expectations, particularly during a pandemic, are out-of-whack with reality.

Dante

Wild Reader
In the past years the documents they used to release in January were nothing so complicated to share (just my two cents, with some experience in archival science and librarianship).
Maybe you didn't notice that meanwhile 4 months has passed and I suppose they still work from remote like anyone else hit by Covid-19.

That being said, thanks for your heartfelt explanation about how this world has changed lately. Next time I won't be so ironic, in the event that some random Swedish archivist will take it too personally.

Johnny

I have not seen any detailed reviews yet but over on the Literary Salon it is mentioned Neruda and Patrick White were the other contenders that year. Both of which of course went on to win it in the 2 subsequent years.

Dante

Wild Reader
Between these two, in 1972, Heinrich Böll won his Nobel Prize. I wonder if he has been a real contender in 1970's too.

hayden

I have not seen any detailed reviews yet but over on the Literary Salon it is mentioned Neruda and Patrick White were the other contenders that year. Both of which of course went on to win it in the 2 subsequent years.

"Just one year after Alexander Solzhenitsyn was first nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature, he is the main candidate for the 1970 Prize - which in the Nobel Prize context is an unusually short decision. It seems that within the Nobel Committee this year there is a view that a prize decision should be made urgently. Of the six members, five now support Solzhenitsyn. The deviant is Artur Lundkvist, who recommends Pablo Neruda and Patrick White (next year's winners) before Solzhenitsyn. Lundkvist, who here goes completely against the general opinion both in the committee and among literary connoisseurs around the world, simply thinks that the Soviet author does not keep the measure literary.

"I want to question something that is generally overlooked in his case: it is the artistic value of his books," Lundkvist writes in his statement to the Academy. He finds it obvious that the author's novel form has a connection to and is a continuation of the realistic tradition that developed during the 19th century. But compared to the development during the 20th century in Europe, the USA and Latin America, "it appears to be quite primitive and uninteresting"."

And if we're reporting dribblings of news, there's this—

Just says Tatsuzo Ishikawa and Sei Ito were nominated, which is a little odd as Sei ito had died nearly a year before.