Nobel Prize in Literature 2010 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

liehtzu

Reader
If there's any horse I'd bet against, it's that featherweight Murakami.

Tomas Venclova. I'm tellin' ya.

Yes, PerDanielAmadeus, I've already sussed the fact that you know that my avatar is Witold Gombrowicz. Have you ever read anything by him? He wrote books, you know. There's a good Argentinian website on him. But you have to read Spanish.

Assuming that PerDanielAmadeus isn't making Peter Englund's sing-song blog up (I want to see the video of Engipooz reading it aloud on the Uppsalapendeln commuter train in English), he's gonna be wearing an American suit. American? He must be a Yankophile, as he spells the word "gray". And he throws in Gaelic words like "iochmed". So I reckon that someone connected with North America and Celtic culture is going to win. Where does that Cormac McCarthy come from? Although the dreaded Google Translation Slave does sometimes drop a bollock.

I'm not involved in "the literary business", although I have attended literary meetings and halls full of groupies in Stockholm on occasions, sometimes in the Panorama sandwich bar at the top of the House of the People's Culture on the most beautiful square in the whole of Stockholm, Sergels Turgel (the one with the transparent phallus). There was, for instance, some compatriot of Gombrowicz' there last autumn. Then some amusing female clown called Witteron, or similar. Another bloody foreigner.

Anyway, my knowledge of Swedish, without the Google Translator, tells me that "Att vara st?ndig" means "Having a perm". Though I'm sure that the Swedish page doesn't really exist.

There have been a lot of new arrivals on this thread in the past few days. I reckon half of them are the same person doing a Proteus.

You're a pistol, you're really funny. You're really funny. We are all quite amused. :D

Well, I've just read six of his works in Polish (three more in Swedish and French), so I'm of course by no means a Gombrowichian. "Dziennik" and "Bakakaj" are maybe the best, "Ferdydyke" and "Kosmos" OK, the rest just awful... :)

Sevastefo

Reader
i'm pretty sure it'll be for Wa Thiong'o. ...
my favorites are:

wa Thiong'o
Adonis
Joyce Oates
Magris

... the final top ten in ladbrokes is:
1. Cormac McCarthy
2. Tomas Transtromer
3. Ngugi wa Thiong'o
4. Ko Un
5. Haruki Murakami
6. Philip Roth
7. Adonis
8. Les Murray
9. Don DeLillo
10. Gerald Murnane

so...Roth has turned up at final moment. ..mmmmm

Taleb

Reader
I'm sure that a reknowed laureate will be awarded today. Whether you love him or not, deserves or not, that does not matter.

oliviermartinez

i'm pretty sure it'll be for Wa Thiong'o. ...
my favorites are:

wa Thiong'o
Adonis
Joyce Oates
Magris

... the final top ten in ladbrokes is:
1. Cormac McCarthy
2. Tomas Transtromer
3. Ngugi wa Thiong'o
4. Ko Un
5. Haruki Murakami
6. Philip Roth
7. Adonis
8. Les Murray
9. Don DeLillo
10. Gerald Murnane

so...Roth has turned up at final moment. ..mmmmm

[this is why I call it a whis but still got others like Angelu, certainly it seems more difficult than pointing out Sandra Bullock in Oscars race:)]
Will you be watching online?

Someone like Ngugi wa Thiong'o would really be a blast. So would a poet like Adonis or Ko Un. But I must admit that no choice would make me more happy than Tomas Transtr?mer. Perhaps I'm being a little nationalistic now but he is an outstanding poet and a lovely old man.

Status
Not open for further replies.