Nobel Prize in Literature 2014 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhead

Blahblahblah
I wouldn't mind it if it was Ngugi, he deserves it, but he's been one of the front runners this whole time. I'd prefer someone more surprising who hasn't been leading the betting lists this whole time. Kadare I feel the same way about (perhaps unfairly, since I haven't read anything by him).

As for corswandt and hoodoo's comments about DeLillo, I agree he is probably right now the most likely American to win the prize, along with McCarthy (DeLillo might have an edge though since he's a bit younger and as they mentioned could represent postmoderism), I'm not sure about him. His reputation lies mostly on just 4 books (White Noise, Libra, Mao II, and Underworld). The ones before these were a bit lightweight and after were...met with mixed reception. It seems if you're a DeLillo fan you can pick a few books out of these to adore (I loved Point Omega) but unless there are some serious fans of his in the academy I'm not too sure about him.

For Americans unless they award a dark horse poet or playwright we might have to wait for people like Erdrich, McCann, Vollmann, and Eugenides to get older.

hoodoo

Reader
I wouldn't mind it if it was Ngugi, he deserves it, but he's been one of the front runners this whole time. I'd prefer someone more surprising who hasn't been leading the betting lists this whole time. Kadare I feel the same way about (perhaps unfairly, since I haven't read anything by him).

As for corswandt and hoodoo's comments about DeLillo, I agree he is probably right now the most likely American to win the prize, along with McCarthy (DeLillo might have an edge though since he's a bit younger and as they mentioned could represent postmoderism), I'm not sure about him. His reputation lies mostly on just 4 books (White Noise, Libra, Mao II, and Underworld). The ones before these were a bit lightweight and after were...met with mixed reception. It seems if you're a DeLillo fan you can pick a few books out of these to adore (I loved Point Omega) but unless there are some serious fans of his in the academy I'm not too sure about him.

For Americans unless they award a dark horse poet or playwright we might have to wait for people like Erdrich, McCann, Vollmann, and Eugenides to get older.

I'd also be very glad if Philip Roth won the prize, but like many have pointed out, it will probably be a fairly unmainstream writer from the middle east or eastern europe... In fact, I find it more exciting to dwelve into the universe of a writer that I've just "discovered"

Erdrich winning would be wonderful news! She is a captivating writer, with a breadth and consistancy that sets her aside from much of her American competition. Aside from Pynchon and McCarthy, I would say she is the leading voice in America at the moment (though I must note that I have not read Roth or Delillo, or many others that are quite celebrated). I don't think, though, that we will be seeing an American getting it for quite some time - at least 5 years and likely as many as ten. I mean, just as you could name 5 Americans who are deserving the award, you could name 5 Hungarians - and that country is much, much smaller. The planet is filled with incredibly talent that I am still discovering anew everyday.

Kadare could win. I wouldn't be thrilled, but I wouldn't be disappointed either, and it would encourage me to give him another chance. Surely winning the Man Booker International Prize isn't the limiting factor that it was thought to be years ago. Even after reading only one of her works, I'm convinced that Alexievitch would be a wonderful addition to the Laureates. Ngugi would be as well - A Grain of Wheat remains one of my favourite books, and I would celebrate his win by reading through it again. And I'm still holding out for Rushdie, who is a most-deserving writer.

I also clearly need to check out this Adonis character.

Maybe I'll celebrate the last day of Alice Munro being the most recent Nobel Prize winner by reading one of her short stories this evening. She is such a talented writer.

anchomal

Reader
Ngugi wa Thiong'o has been in the conversation with regard to the Nobel for a few years now, and based on what I've read he'd be a worthy winner (though I have a few favourites ahead of him on my list...). He's highly regarded, has produced a significant body of work, is a good age and he represents a region that has been too long overlooked.
But will it seem as if the Committee was waiting for Chinua Achebe, a perennial favourite for decades, to die before choosing another African laureate?

I had the chance to watch him giving a lecture last weekend and after that I asked him if he still cares about the Nobel. In brief terms, his answer was that if he wins it, he cares :eek:

:D Rushdie certainly has a healthy attitude towards the prize.

Good points.

I don't think the Nobel committee is always conservative. Le Clezio is a great example of a radical writer (his early works). Or Jelinek. Or Saramago. Or Grass.

In terms of Pynchon I would say that Gravity's Rainbow will probably stick around as an important work, and perhaps Mason & Dixon, and I think it's for the same reason - they are anchored to a time that is not Pynchon's, and thus is able to remove itself from, well, his hippie/druggy/schlocky schtick. V, The Crying of Lot 49 and Vineland are all close to unreadable these days.

For my picks - Marias, Kadare, Stoppard, Vila-Matas, Kundera, Ugresic, Chejfec, Shishkin, Nadas, Krasznahorkai.

Daniel del Real

Just a few hours away from the announcement and no movement at all in the Ladbrokes list. This indicates there was no leak this year, which makes it even more interesting. Let's wait and see.

Stiffelio

Reader
Little more than 12 hours to go and my picks are Kadare, Murakami and..................Claudio Magris!! Nobody has mentioned the great (pan-European) Italian writer this year. Maybe he's the dark horse.

Daniel del Real

Check out the Amazon page for Kadare's novel The Seige. The minimized cover art proclaims him as having won the Nobel. When you blow the pic up, however, the medal cites the Man Booker Prize. Portent?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Siege-Ism...&qid=1412815021&sr=8-4&keywords=ismail+kadare

Quite a trick in here :p. Hope it becomes a reality.

Are people about to pass out from excitement? :)

I am :rolleyes:

Little more than 12 hours to go and my picks are Kadare, Murakami and..................Claudio Magris!! Nobody has mentioned the great (pan-European) Italian writer this year. Maybe he's the dark horse.

That would be great, he just won the Premio FIL en Lenguas Romances 2014.

redhead

Blahblahblah
As long as it's someone whose work has made the jump to e-books online I'll be happy. Ugh the cons of living abroad.

Hopefully next year there will be more leakage to make the betting all the more fun.

pinkunicorn

Reader
Just a few hours away from the announcement and no movement at all in the Ladbrokes list. This indicates there was no leak this year, which makes it even more interesting. Let's wait and see.

Still no movement, but four new names on the list, all at 50/1: Joan Didion, Chimamanda Ngozie Adiche, Sofi Oksanen and Nina Bouraoui.

pinkunicorn

Reader
All of them women, and either too young or too old.

A woman won last year, so being a woman isn't a blocker. I don't think there were ever two women wins on consecutive years yet, though. This could be a first. Looking at the last 10 winners, 4 are women. Before that, statistics are worse.

As for age, Didion is 79, Adichie is 37 as is Oksanen, and Bouraoui is 47.

Looking at recent winners, Lessing was 88, Tranströmer was 80 and Munro was 82 when they got the price. 79 is no problem.

In the other end, 37 would definitely be a record. The youngest laureate so far is Kipling (1907) at 42. Apart from him, there's Undset (1928) at 46, Lewis (1930) at 45, Buck (1938) at 46, Camus (1957) at 44 and Brodsky (1987) at 47 so 47 years is at the lower end of the likely spectrum, especially in later years.

pesahson

Reader
Adichie and Oksanen in my view are definitely too young. Their work would have to be outstanding for them to be given the Nobel at such a young age. I can't see how Didion would be too old. Maybe it's an argument like with Kundera, that he hasn't written anything substantial in years.

As for my final bets, I would be really thrilled if Kundera, Alexievich, Adam Zagajewski or Lars Gustafsson got it. Many other worthy winner I'm sure, but books of those authors had a real impact on me so it would be most personally satisfying.

S Johnson

As for my final bets, I would be really thrilled if Kundera, Alexievich, Adam Zagajewski or Lars Gustafsson got it. Many other worthy winner I'm sure, but books of those authors had a real impact on me so it would be most personally satisfying.

Some thoughts on Nordic candidates.
Lars Gustafsson was awarded the Swedish Academy’s Nordic prize this year which means he is, at least theoretically, in the run. It would be very strange if the academy chose for an example Dag Solstad or Karl Ove Knausgaard, which so far have been overlooked for the Nordic award, over people like Gustafsson, Sofi Oksanen, P.O. Enquist and Jon Fosse who have all received it. Of these, it is unlikely that the Academy would dare award another Swede within the remaining lifetime of Enquist and Gustafsson and Sofi Oksanen will have to wait at least ten more years and continue her production of excellent literature. I really think she’ll get eventually though, the fact that she was awarded the Nordic prize at such a young age (people like Enquist and Tranströmer had to wait much longer…) really indicates that the academy likes her. Plus her themes fit the Academy’s taste like glove. But for now Fosse is really the only likely Nordic candidate. But I reallt don’t think this will be his year either. Kadare, wa Thiong'o or Nadas are my bets.

Status
Not open for further replies.