Nobel Prize in Literature 2014 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the Nobel committee is always conservative. Le Clezio is a great example of a radical writer (his early works). Or Jelinek. Or Saramago. Or Grass.

In terms of Pynchon I would say that Gravity's Rainbow will probably stick around as an important work, and perhaps Mason & Dixon, and I think it's for the same reason - they are anchored to a time that is not Pynchon's, and thus is able to remove itself from, well, his hippie/druggy/schlocky schtick. V, The Crying of Lot 49 and Vineland are all close to unreadable these days.

By awarding groundbreaking writers, I was thinking more on the lines of the Swedish Academy giving the prize to someone like Beckett. What you say of Le Clézio applies (even more so) to Claude Simon as a representative of the nouveau roman. But since Simon, there haven't been that many prizes for representatives of avant-garde (using the term very loosely here) literary movements such as post-modernism (the exception being the post-modernist writers who make use of magic realism).

Good points about Pynchon. I'd like to add that Inherent Vice sucked balls.

Little more than 12 hours to go and my picks are Kadare, Murakami and..................Claudio Magris!! Nobody has mentioned the great (pan-European) Italian writer this year. Maybe he's the dark horse.

I'm sure Claudio Magris has been considered over the past few years and will remain a contender even he it doesn't win this year as he fits the Nobel winner template quite well. Perhaps too well for my liking.

By awarding groundbreaking writers, I was thinking more on the lines of the Swedish Academy giving the prize to someone like Beckett. What you say of Le Clézio applies (even more so) to Claude Simon as a representative of the nouveau roman. But since Simon, there haven't been that many prizes for representatives of avant-garde (using the term very loosely here) literary movements such as post-modernism (the exception being the post-modernist writers who make use of magic realism).Good points about Pynchon. I'd like to add that Inherent Vice sucked balls.

True, I would have mentioned Simon except he won quite a while ago. I very much like his work.I think Calvino would have been a tremendous choice. And Perec (though he died too young). The living representatives of post-modernism aren't, well, all that substantial, I think (though some of the dead Americans were very good). Post-modernism ends up a little too wispy for my liking, and often rather faddish in the way that it deals with popular culture. It becomes dated too quickly if it goes down that route, and too many authors do that.Otherwise, Antonio Lobo Antunes is another good choice. Tavares maybe (I fluctuate in my thoughts with him). Tabucchi would have been wonderful.

pesahson

Reader
They notify the winner half an hour earlier, right? That time after they know and before it's public must be precious. 20 minutes to go. They're live streaming already.

Status
Not open for further replies.