Nobel Prize in Literature 2022

Bartleby

Love the way Anders Olsson and Ellen Matson analysed the works of Ernaux. Simply beautiful.

Based on the analysis of Ernaux, I believe that Nobel Committee, in the coming years, will award writers from the style/literary school of Ernaux: auto-fiction. It kind of reminded me of the interview Peter Englund had in 2009 about Herta Muller. I don't really know many writers that are considered/grouped in the field of auto-fiction, but I think that's the criteria of the Commitee for some time.

I put you guys this question, if you can guess one writer that was shortlisted for Nobel this year with Ernaux, who will you pick? For me, it's Knausgaard.

I think if we look at the last 3 prizes, one common theme that emerges is personal experience, be it fictional or otherwise. So we have Glück processing her emotions in poetry; Gurnah transforming his personal knowledge of being an refugee (and themes of colonialism his native people suffered) into novels; and now Ernaux excavating her life as truthful as possible - all of them, while talking about intimate affairs, reaching the universal status in the process. So guess we can expect a similar writer next year, one with a very easily definable - and one could say obsessive - personal concern.

alik-vit

Reader
Listen, she's given SO many people (men and women both) SO much joy with her novels, so she must be doing something right! I'm not ashamed to say that I've read a few of her books myself as a teenager, ?
And again it's about shame, culture of domination and woman's voice! Who knows, maybe she was shortlisted as yardstick for Ernaux's work!
P. S. As a teenager I strongly preferred Joanna Chmielewska.

Papageno

I think if we look at the last 3 prizes, one common theme that emerges is personal experience, be it fictional or otherwise. So we have Glück processing her emotions in poetry; Gurnah transforming his personal knowledge of being an refugee (and themes of colonialism his native people suffered) into novels; and now Ernaux excavating her life as truthful as possible - all of them, while talking about intimate affairs, reaching the universal status in the process. So guess we can expect a similar writer next year, one with a very easily definable - and one could say obsessive - personal concern.
I think you're totally right, that there is a kind of linkage between the last three laureates regarding the personal experience - and one might even add the 2019 laureate as the 4th, since, even though he's written a lot of different stuff, at least some of Peter Handke's best work is dealing with deeply personal issues - I am thinking in particular about Wunschloses Unglück, a memoir and analysis about the suicide of his mother, which can be read alongside such works of Ernaux as Je ne suis pas sortie de ma nuit (about dementia and death of her mother) and La place (the death of her father).

As for the next year, I think (or hope?) it is time to change the tune a little bit and award someone doing totally different kind of work.

Ben Jackson

You are very correct. These three writers explored their personal experiences in a very simplistic manner, although Ernaux tend to write in a somewhat unusual linguistic manner, that's the switch between the personal and collective nouns, like The Years and A Girl's Story for example.

Ben Jackson

I think you're totally right, that there is a kind of linkage between the last three laureates regarding the personal experience - and one might even add the 2019 laureate as the 4th, since, even though he's written a lot of different stuff, at least some of Peter Handke's best work is dealing with deeply personal issues - I am thinking in particular about Wunschloses Unglück, a memoir and analysis about the suicide of his mother, which can be read alongside such works of Ernaux as Je ne suis pas sortie de ma nuit (about dementia and death of her mother) and La place (the death of her father).

As for the next year, I think (or hope?) it is time to change the tune a little bit and award someone doing totally different kind of work.

Yea, true. Somewhat in that manner. Although, speaking from the reviews I have read of his key works, he's a typical writer of personal experience. Though like the work you mentioned, which I believe in English meant "A Sorrow Beyond Dreams," he's qualified.

I also hope next year, the recipient would be someone way different from Ernaux, but I wouldn't be surprised if the winner is someone that writes of personal experience.

Ben Jackson

The Award ceremony speech, by Anders Olsson. Quite a short one.

Not surprised that Olsson's speech is short. Most things about Ernaux has already been said in the Nobel Announcement speech. Unlike in the 70s or 80s when the ceremony speech took a lot of time, example example is Ceremony Speech delivered by Lundkvist for Patrick White in 1973.

Leseratte

Not surprised that Olsson's speech is short. Most things about Ernaux has already been said in the Nobel Announcement speech. Unlike in the 70s or 80s when the ceremony speech took a lot of time, example example is Ceremony Speech delivered by Lundkvist for Patrick White in 1973.
Annie Ernaux herself seems to be a person that keeps her focus and doesn´t digress, even at 82.