Nobel Prize in Literature 2022

Morbid Swither

This too.. not everyone is too pleased..

Probably the most worthless and "predictable" reaction to Ernaux's win, I regret even reading this.

Papageno

Funnily, that says at one point "There is no higher purpose or eternal soul. All is reduced to fleeting memories." -- and I thought, but exactly that's what I actually like about it!!!

errequatro

Reader
I am from Europe. And I think these things.

This a beautiful example of the oblique side-eye of the Swedish Academy, whether anyone likes it or not. It ADDS to her award, it doesn't take away from it.
well, the US has not been the only country suffering losses in terms of women's rights of late... Poland was there before, just a year or two ago... I would rather say that instead of "americanizing" her victory, one should perhaps view it as a victory for the "universal rights of women".

Papageno

Here is a another article that is very critical of Ernaux's win. It really does seem that her winning ruffled some feathers, which I didn't expect. I felt that this article in particular is interesting, because it is exactly the aspects of Ernaux's work that the author criticizes (and, in my opinion, misunderstands), that seem to - partly - constitute her greatness.

For example, in the last section of the article the author expresses shock and horror over Ernaux's insensitive thoughts, in
Je ne suis pas sortie de ma nuit, on the issue of her mother's deteriorating dementia and the possibility of euthanasia. But what I particularly liked about that book, the first I read from Ernaux, is the frankness and courage with which she exposes her growing disgust at her mother's state, "ugly" thoughts from which she was unable to escape. I think that people usually try to push such thoughts away and prefer to imagine that they had never come to them, because it is just too difficult to admit to oneself that one was able to entertain them - Ernaux chooses a completely different path, she manages to pin down her exact feelings and thoughts, no matter how uncomfortable, at the time when the ordeal with her mother was happening, and to expose them frankly and lucidly. Her project is based on truth and complete honesty.

Based on Ernaux's work, the author comes to the conclusion that the French literature has reached "moral terminus." But I think that such conclusion cannot be further from the truth: as the article I posted earlier shows, Ernaux is an author with a clear moral drive, and belongs to the tradition of engaged intellectuals in France. I feel that her frank admissions and analyses of her own reflexions, no matter how unflattering, in fact lead to a certain liberation, if one may call it that.

Also, I have to say that the author's suggestion that "Knausgaard’s own Nobel now seems inevitable" because Ernaux won seems to me unwarranted.

Morbid Swither

Here is a another article that is very critical of Ernaux's win. It really does seem that her winning ruffled some feathers, which I didn't expect. I felt that this article in particular is interesting, because it is exactly the aspects of Ernaux's work that the author criticizes (and, in my opinion, misunderstands), that seem to - partly - constitute her greatness.

For example, in the last section of the article the author expresses shock and horror over Ernaux's insensitive thoughts, in
Je ne suis pas sortie de ma nuit, on the issue of her mother's deteriorating dementia and the possibility of euthanasia. But what I particularly liked about that book, the first I read from Ernaux, is the frankness and courage with which she exposes her growing disgust at her mother's state, "ugly" thoughts from which she was unable to escape. I think that people usually try to push such thoughts away and prefer to imagine that they had never come to them, because it is just too difficult to admit to oneself that one was able to entertain them - Ernaux chooses a completely different path, she manages to pin down her exact feelings and thoughts, no matter how uncomfortable, at the time when the ordeal with her mother was happening, and to expose them frankly and lucidly. Her project is based on truth and complete honesty.

Based on Ernaux's work, the author comes to the conclusion that the French literature has reached "moral terminus." But I think that such conclusion cannot be further from the truth: as the article I posted earlier shows, Ernaux is an author with a clear moral drive, and belongs to the tradition of engaged intellectuals in France. I feel that her frank admissions and analyses of her own reflexions, no matter how unflattering, in fact lead to a certain liberation, if one may call it that.

Also, I have to say that the author's suggestion that "Knausgaard’s own Nobel now seems inevitable" because Ernaux won seems to me unwarranted.
Couldn’t agree more.

nagisa

Spiky member

"Ernaux’s purported tough-mindedness is merely a reflexive Jacobinism."
> This stuck out to me. Her purported tough-mindedness is a reflexive support for... a central figure of a sovereign and indivisible public authority with power over civil society? What is this sentence even supposed to mean? Words have meanings, this is just an empty signifier for "bad thing".

So, 2s of digging later (not even digging, just reading the lines at the bottom of the article):
"Jonathan Clarke is a contributing editor of City Journal" "City Journal is a publication of the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research (MI), a leading free-market think tank."

Yeah, right-wingers gonna right-wing. She reeeeaaaally gets under their skin for some reason.

alik-vit

Reader
Some news from her press conference:

And Nobel literary evening:

Last edited:

Leseratte

Thanks, Alik! The first video has cc in English.

Leseratte

And here we are: https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/literature/2022/ernaux/lecture/

It's short (not surprise, yep), but clear and, I would say, convincing text. One of the most solid approaches to this task: not to speak about literature per se, but give clear coda to own oeuvre. And she explains this phrase, which was object of interest by @Leseratte : j’écrirai pour venger ma race.
What a lucid speech. And that by a lady of 82. It´s a faith in literature and it´s capacity of transformation that sadly is getting lost. Loved this speech !Thanks for sharing the link, Alik!

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

And here we are: https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/literature/2022/ernaux/lecture/

It's short (not surprise, yep), but clear and, I would say, convincing text. One of the most solid approaches to this task: not to speak about literature per se, but give clear coda to own oeuvre. And she explains this phrase, which was object of interest by @Leseratte : j’écrirai pour venger ma race.

Love the speech as well. I don't know if the lecture will make it into the all time favourite speeches list I made in the Nobel Lectures Thread, but this lecture is superb. Thanks alik for the link.

Ben Jackson

Love the way Anders Olsson and Ellen Matson analysed the works of Ernaux. Simply beautiful.

Based on the analysis of Ernaux, I believe that Nobel Committee, in the coming years, will award writers from the style/literary school of Ernaux: auto-fiction. It kind of reminded me of the interview Peter Englund had in 2009 about Herta Muller. I don't really know many writers that are considered/grouped in the field of auto-fiction, but I think that's the criteria of the Commitee for some time.

I put you guys this question, if you can guess one writer that was shortlisted for Nobel this year with Ernaux, who will you pick? For me, it's Knausgaard.