Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piblo

Listen, if you can't be nice even to the dead...
That's short compared to what he said. Basically, he tried to blow up Jaramillo's figure arguing that he took his Literary Workshop, but Jaime Jaramillo Escobar put a little value on his poems, just because he liked poems written by pretty boys. That's another level of gay-shaming a dead man.

Piblo

Jaime Jaramillo Escobar
He was a decent poet who was part of a literary movement that emerged in Colombia during the late 60s. This group called themselves "Nadaistas" since they didn't believe in anything (nada). Some of them made a name for themselves in the literary scene, challenging Colombian society's conservative norms. Ironically, as Montoya stated, their work was not recognized in Europe or other countries due to its quality. Most of them explored nihilistic ideas through their writing, with a heavy emphasis on anarchy and using prose/poetry that was often pathetic.

Those who are still alive tend to write about sex or focus on cultural traditions in their work. Nothing too good to be looked at on a Nobel Conversation.

While I'm skeptical about the quality of their writing, I acknowledge the value of their movement in a conservative society. They did a good job of shaking up some major cities and sabotaging Catholic events. If you're interested in exploring some of the Nadaistas' work, I recommend checking out Jaime Jaramillo Escobar, Giovanni Quessep, Gonzalo Arango, and Raúl Gómez Jattin.

As a fun fact, Nadaismo was heavily influenced by the works of Fernando González Ochoa, the first Colombian writer rumored to have been nominated for the Nobel Prize. Some people claimed that he was nominated by Sartre and Thorton Wilder, but it remains a humorous rumor.

sibkron

Intrigued by this. I haven't read anything by Álvaro Enrigue – I only know him as Valeria Luiselli's less-famous husband. Any recommendations?
This author added in advance. Next year two books will be published in English. I think I should get to know his work thoroughly.

zhang wei

Thanks! I'm reassured the tea leaves aren't spent for her.

(I wonder how the Chinese-speaking world would react to her winning... She's not a Mo Yan-like party writer, but neither a Gao-like visible dissident.)
I can tell you,Can Xue is a very arrogance writer,in China,many people hate her,more people never heard about her,but there are a few people admire her as The God of Literature,Yeh,The God!

zhang wei

Although Can Xue has very few admirers in China,but the worship is almost religious,you can call it ” Can Xue religion",so if Can Xue win,the admirers will be crazy.

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
Hi, welcome to the forum, feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little but about you?
I am really happy to have a forum member from China! :)

Liam

Administrator
Can Xue... is a narcissist.
While narcissists are insufferable in everyday life, I feel like almost every other great writer was/is a narcissist. It just comes with the... talent, I guess? ? Authors like Mary Oliver and Marilynne Robinson are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Nirvrithi

Reader
For a change, let us look at two Serbs who merit some attention – Svetislav Basara and Zoran Zivkovic. Both are genre -defying writers. Basara says he doesn’t like pre-fixes attached to his writing and as for Zivkovic, he says his writing doesn’t really belong to any category. Further, they both don’t follow the tradition of the other great Serbs before them like Danilo Kis, Milorad Pavic and Borislav Pekic. Both are prolific in output but English translations aren’t too many yet. Also, both have been decorated with many Prizes and awards already.

Basara combines in his writing elements of Cervantes, Kafka, Bashevis Singer and a little bit of the magic-real of Marquez – a bizzare combination, I admit. His writing is informed by “Hyperinflation of humanity; fatigue; the crisis of meaning and spinelessness of modern day existence” as he puts it. Two of his works stand out – “In Search of the Grail” and “The Mongolian Travel Guide”. During the Balkan war phase, he quit the Serbian Writers Association in protest against the spineless submission of writers to the interests of divisive forces. So, in a way, the Nobel Committee gets a chance now to make amends to what they did in 2019 when they handed over the prize to Peter Handke! You may even call it unintended “retributive justice” if this happens.

Zivkovic’s unconventional style of writing carries a meteoric flash – a flash of truth revealed momentarily to the reader. He will have his detractors. I can see Daniel’s red face already! Zivkovic evolved through science fiction (he is the author of the Encyclopaedia of SF), fantasy literature and then moved on to detective fiction (The Papyrus Trilogy is quite good, reminiscent in some ways of Eco’s “The Name of the Rose”). His short works are his best, I feel. I enjoyed “The Library” thoroughly. He says he likes to remain outside the realms of “definitions” and all forms of vanity.

I am not a fan of either, but a Prize for either of them would mean that we at least hear a refreshingly new Nobel salutation quite different from the ones we are accustomed to listening until now.

tiganeasca

For a change, let us look at two Serbs who merit some attention – Svetislav Basara and Zoran Zivkovic. Both are genre -defying writers. Basara says he doesn’t like pre-fixes attached to his writing and as for Zivkovic, he says his writing doesn’t really belong to any category. Further, they both don’t follow the tradition of the other great Serbs before them like Danilo Kis, Milorad Pavic and Borislav Pekic. Both are prolific in output but English translations aren’t too many yet. Also, both have been decorated with many Prizes and awards already....

Zivkovic’s unconventional style of writing carries a meteoric flash – a flash of truth revealed momentarily to the reader. He will have his detractors. I can see Daniel’s red face already! Zivkovic evolved through science fiction (he is the author of the Encyclopaedia of SF), fantasy literature and then moved on to detective fiction (The Papyrus Trilogy is quite good, reminiscent in some ways of Eco’s “The Name of the Rose”). His short works are his best, I feel. I enjoyed “The Library” thoroughly. He says he likes to remain outside the realms of “definitions” and all forms of vanity.

I am not a fan of either, but a Prize for either of them would mean that we at least hear a refreshingly new Nobel salutation quite different from the ones we are accustomed to listening until now.
In fact, Zivkovic has many (at least two dozen) volumes of his work translated into English and I have read several at least, although it has been a few years. Your description of his work is exactly right in my experience--science-fiction/fantasy in general--but although his work is enjoyable enough when he's good (and he's definitely not always at the same level), I have read nothing that would put him in Nobel Prize contention.

I also have a couple books sitting on the shelf by Basara; perhaps it's time to pull one of them down, although (if my memory is any good) I believe that they are pretty substantial (meaning long) volumes.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Meanwhile…

nagisa

Spiky member
Meanwhile…

"And this, my friends, is the contented face of a man who has made up his mind. Once and for all. Decided who he thinks will be this year's Nobel Prize winner in literature. The academy is meeting for the first time this week to discuss the matter. The deliberations are always lively, enlightening and - not least important - open. We are never in complete agreement. It is good. People debate (sometimes argue), listen, allow themselves to be convinced by arguments, even change their minds. In a way, it's even better."

[Extremely WWE voice] LETTT'SSS GET READY TOOOOO RUUUUUUMBLEEEEEEE!!!!

Last edited:
"And this, my friends, is the contented face of a man who has made up his mind. Once and for all. Decided who he thinks will be this year's Nobel Prize winner in literature. The academy is meeting for the first time this week to discuss the matter. The deliberations are always lively, enlightening and - not least important - open. We are never equal. It is good. People debate (sometimes argue), listen, allow themselves to be convinced by arguments, even change their minds. In a way, it's even better."

[Extremely WWE voice] LETTT'SSS GET READY TOOOOO RUUUUUUMBLEEEEEEE!!!!

Shouldn't they have already met once already? That's basically only two meetings to decide the winner... Not much time for dissent!

Status
Not open for further replies.