Nobel Prizes in Literature 2019 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Ludus, your message didn?t come through. I had the same issue before, had to copy my message, click on the button to edit my post, and paste it there for it to show up

Sevastefo

Reader
Very interesting, but I do not think it is a clue.

According to Mats Malm (https://www.vt.se/kultur-noje/akademien-gar-in-i-intensivt-nobelskede-om6297039.aspx), who is now the secretary of theSwedish Academy, the first meeting of the committee after the summer was held just a week ago (Sept. 19). At this point, it is likely that they are discussing their readings.

According to this interview, the members of the committee will propose the names to the full of the academicians only on the 10th of October in the morning.

I do not understand very well, how they make their choice; it seems to me a little hasty. They pick the laureats the same day? maybe here, any of you will have a clearer idea on this.

Last edited:
I'd be astonished if one of the winners this year wasn't a woman. I'd also be astonished if both of them write in English (though given the number of previous English-language winners they've profiled on social media I suspect one of them will.) I am writing now in hope more than expectation btu I'd be over the moon if these possibly meaningless signs are pointing at Atwood: Lessing wrote some classic feminist literature, and also some science fiction; Ishiguro wrote a famous dystopia; Steinbeck and Faulkner are North Americans; Golding wrote a heralded book about the cruelty of boys, Atwood did the same for girls... (plus a couple of her books are now checked out from the library.)

I don't know his work in as much depth but can any of these possible signs be contrived to point to Antunes, say?

And even if the decision is yet to be made I would still be surprised if there was no collective inkling. After the controversies of recent years I imagine they will be kept on quite a tight leash.

Last edited:
If you go back and edit the post the content should appear. It seems to be broken - I can?t post messages at all from a laptop, only the mobile via the editing function

Last edited:

redhead

Blahblahblah
Too bad the forum?s not really working, but at least we have odds!

Those are pretty interesting. I?d say either some bettors have been following this forum, have insider info, or some combination of the two. After all, we have Anne Carson and Can Xue with unexpectedly low odds. That could be from us looking into the library, but if that were the main reason someone placed a bet on her, I?d expect Handke to be higher and Mayrocker to be on the list. Lyudmila Ulitskaya I think has also come up here, too, but not enough that I?d expect her to be that high.

And in response to that interview with Mats Malm, maybe that?s a new thing this year? With the way they used to not set the announcement date until the week of, how would that work? They had to have known, or at least have it narrowed down to two candidates, by that point.

Last edited:

peter_d

Reader
Back just in time before the winners are revealed! :)
I thought it was going to be a WLF-less announcement day this time. Happy it has been resolved.

Bartleby

It's a miracle!!!! I too thought the forum would be down for quite a while still...

I hope everyone has the same instinct to come and check it... BTW we should have devised a back-up plan in case this happened, like create an fb or goodreads group just to be used if the forum's down...

But anyway, all's well that ends well...

On Facebook the nobel prize page put somethings there that kept me wondering.

First a post about tagore highlighting his non-European citizenship. Then a post of Hemingway talking about what it is to be a writer. Then, one of gordimer stating she's a South African writer AND (Mark this) a political activist.

So, Thiongo and Atwood?

Hope I'm wrong...

Daniel del Real

Glad the forum's back. Tough days speculating without it. I was doing it at the Fictional Woods, but so not the same.

Also intrigued about all the FB posts by the Nobel Prize. Second time Tagore appears, so an asian poet maybe? Adonis finally?

Ludus

Reader
Oh man, I'm excited. Woke up too early just to watch the announcement. I sure hope this is worth it, but I'm glad I'm still this excited about the prize.

Daniel del Real

Oh man, I'm excited. Woke up too early just to watch the announcement. I sure hope this is worth it, but I'm glad I'm still this excited about the prize.
Yeah, too early for us isn't it? But hey, we missed it last year so now we're really excited. Probably the only day of the year I wake up early :unsure:

Ludus

Reader
I'm digging the new forum, by the way. More responsive and easier to navigate. But I agree with Bartleby, there should be another way of communication.

Bartleby

I was so anxious that I took some sleeping pills and even then I woke up after having slept for only two hours, and couldn't go back to sleep... So yeah, this better be bloody worthy it :p

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I'm digging the new forum, by the way. More responsive and easier to navigate. But I agree with Bartleby, there should be another way of communication.
There is a Facebook group - even I'd forgotten about it - that last had a post 7 years ago.

Daniel del Real

By the way, Unibet odds went down a few hours ago. Not a lot of movement either.
Hard speculation days without the WLF and Ladbrokes list.

Status
Not open for further replies.