Non-Writer Obituaries

Time for this thread, I think, as we’ve had threads for Irene Papas and Louise Fletcher in recent weeks, and let's face it, there is only going to be more of this as the mid-20th Century generation passes.

Today, Dame Angela Lansbury (1925-2022), a legend in theater, television, and film, drama, comedy, and musical, one of those boundless performers who really could do it all. And famous for playing a writer! - the inimitable Jessica Fletcher, who many are joking will now be revealed as the world’s foremost serial killer.

Two other Lansbury performances deserve to be singled out as especially iconic: Mrs. Lovett in Sondheim’s Sweeney Todd, on Broadway in 1979, and her terrifying turn as Laurence Harvey’s mother in the first film version of The Manchurian Candidate (1962). Lansbury, who has always been able to play different or indeterminate ages, was only three years Harvey’s senior and was not dramatically aged for the role, yet somehow you believed it.

F0050BF7-55AF-4457-874D-C0A9EBE719D2.jpeg7E05536B-BA4D-4B53-9D46-44E26895027E.jpeg

Leseratte

Last edited:

Benny Profane

RIP Jeff Beck!

Jeff Beck, among the most innovative and certainly the most unpredictable of ’60s guitar heroes, died on Tuesday. He was 78.

“On behalf of his family, it is with deep and profound sadness that we share the news of Jeff Beck’s passing. After suddenly contracting bacterial meningitis, he peacefully passed away yesterday,” reads a statement from his rep. “His family ask for privacy while they process this tremendous loss.”

Liam

Administrator
Didn't quite beat Olivia de Havilland's record, but 95 is still a long and eventful life filled with work, meaning, tragedy, comedy, etc.

I think she definitely fulfilled herself as an actor: SO many good roles in films that will be remembered.

Papageno

So sad to hear about Gina Lollobrigida, even though I am happy that she had a long and successful life! As you all say, she was memorable in so many films. One that stand out in particular to me is La Romana, based on one of Alberto Moravia's most famous books. Lollobrigida is haunting as the young Roman women, who, forced into prostitution by her mother, entangles her fate with those of three very different men: a fascist official, a murderous criminal, and an insecure young intellectual who isn't strong enough to save her or even himself.

Leseratte