Non-Writer Obituaries

Ben Jackson

Henry Kissinger.

A communist.

I wish he were hooked up to a dynamo, because the spinning in his grave would power entire continents.

Although I mentioned he might be because I discovered, during mid-day news, that China sent their condolence to their old friend, your post certainly made my day (laughing so much when I saw it just now).

Mise Eire

Reader
The prurient will focus on his lifestyle choices and frequent inebriation but simply put the man was a gifted musician and poet when focused.

Bob Dylan was awarded a Nobel Prize for his addition to The Great American Songbook, whatever that is. (Is there a Great Portuguese Songbook or Great Farsi Songbook?) . Well Shane contributed mightily to the Great Irish & London/Irish Songbook.

In the UK and Ireland, his Fairytale of New York is regarded as perhaps the greatest Christmas song, secular in nature and in spite of its content.
Listen to A Rainy Night in Soho - if this does not move you, we'll all may be lost...

Check out the funeral service videos on YT. You'll see a send off worthy of a man cherished & loved by a nation.

alik-vit

Reader
It's interesting article, devoted to the problem, which we discussed here after the death of Henry Kissinger:

The obituary, its poetics and limits.

Leseratte

It's interesting article, devoted to the problem, which we discussed here after the death of Henry Kissinger:

The obituary, its poetics and limits.
And specially it gives room to reflection! I was very glad too, that no paywall came up during the reading.

Benny Profane

Unfortunately, two artists commited suicide due to hate speech in Internet (cancelling culture):

The first one commited suicide because he was found with a bag of marijuana:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/27/world/asia/lee-sun-kyun-parasite-dead.html#:~:text=Lee Sun-kyun, the award,and he denied the accusations.

The second was one of the pioneers on Youtube in Brazil - he was allegated to be a "pedo" and received a lot of hate on Twitter and another social media pages during 2021 and 2022.
He was bipolar disorder and was an addicted and, of course, tried to commit suicide many times because he always rejected any type of help during this time (sad, to be sure):

https://www.uol.com.br/splash/noticias/2023/12/27/morre-pc-siqueira.htm (in Portuguese)

Guys, please, always take care of your mental health!!

Last edited:

Benny Profane

As I'm Brazilian and a football lover, I'm still devasted by these sad news... :(

Mário Jorge Lobo Zagallo, Brazilian footballer legend (who he was the only person to win 4 World Cups), passed away:

One of his most famous slogans was: "you ought to swallow myself" or "You're going to have to put up with me!" [Vocês vão ter de me engolir] after winning Copa América in 1997 to journalists who questioned his methods.

So, I only must say: DESCANSE EM PAZ, VELHO LOBO!!!

Last edited:

Leseratte

As I'm Brazilian and a football lover, I'm still devasted by these sad news... :(

Mário Jorge Lobo Zagallo, Brazilian footballer legend (who he was the only person to win 4 World Cups), passed away:

One of his most famous slogans was: "you ought to swallow myself" or "You're going to have to put up with me!" [Vocês vão ter de me engolir] after winning Copa América in 1997 to journalists who questioned his methods.

No fan of football, but Pelé and Zagallo represented the glorious era of Brazilian football.

Verkhovensky

Franz Beckenbauer also died today. Sad week for football.