Novels Published First in Translation

I know there are a number of examples of this. A few that come to mind:

(1) Arthur Koestler’s The Gladiators, written in German, was published first in Hungarian, then in English. The manuscript was lost, so when it did appear in German, it was a re-translation from the English (!).

(2) Similar situation for Koestler's Darkness at Noon, published in English translation first. The German manuscript was eventually recovered, but the published German version before that was a re-translation from the English.

(3) Since everything else about B. Traven is confusing, it stands to reason that the language he wrote in is disputed, too. I have seen references to German first, and also to English first. The translations of the books between the two languages are generally credited to the author himself, but honestly, who the hell knows? ? The German publications preceded the English in every case that I am aware of (which would seem odd if Traven was an American born in San Francisco, as he consistently maintained).

(4) Gayl Jones’ third novel The Birdcatcher was first published in German in 1986, and only recently appeared in its original English. Jones was in self-exile from the US at the time, on the run with her fugitive boyfriend Robert Higgins. (Long story, check her Wikipedia profile.)

(5) C.P. Rodocanachi’s Forever Ulysses aka No Innocent Abroad (1937) “was never published in Greek. [Patrick] Leigh Fermor seems to have translated it for practice.”

(6) After he lost his English-language publishers, Harry Stephen Keeler wrote his bizarre “webwork” mystery novels directly for translation into Spanish and Portuguese.

Last edited:
Found this at Reddit (credited to Alexander_the_Drake):

“…sometimes it happens if for some reason the author can get a book deal first in the translation language than the original. A few examples I can think of off the top of my head:
  • the late John Morressy had a series of popular novels starring the wizard Kedrigern from Ace Books in the US in the 1980s, but apparently didn't sell well enough after that. The later “Young Kedrigern” prequels he wrote were translated and published first in either Poland or the Czech Republic where he was still popular, and have yet to appear in English at all.
  • Italian author Ben Pastor writes her Martin Bora series of WWII mysteries in English, but they're professionally translated and published first in her native Italy from one of their major publishers Sellerio, and have only gradually begun to appear in their original English via small publisher Bitter Lemon Press.
  • for whatever reason, Canadian author Bradley Somers' experimental literary fiction novel Goldfish was translated and published first in Germany, before making a North American appearance.”

lucasdiniz

Reader
Mahmoud Dowlatabadi's The Colonel was published in German and English first and I'm not quite sure if it's been published in Persian yet. It's a very raw account of post-revolution Iran so it was censored. One of the saddest books I've read in my life.

Mahmoud Dowlatabadi's The Colonel was published in German and English first and I'm not quite sure if it's been published in Persian yet. It's a very raw account of post-revolution Iran so it was censored. One of the saddest books I've read in my life.

Great catch, thanks! I had a feeling there must be an Iranian book in this category…

I'm so glad you brought this to my attention. I knew virtually no autobiographical details about Gayl Jones, and the only work I've read by her is Corregidora (which I do love). Reading about her--what would seem--tragic life--but also a very fascinating one--in just makes me want to know more and read more.

Pretty wild, I agree. I wonder if she maintained relations with Toni Morrison, who had been her editor.

Morbid Swither

I believe that the masterful Paradise of the Blind by Duong Thu Huong was first published in the United States, in English translation, because it was banned from publication in Vietnam. However, I can't remember if I am confused, or if I read some conflicting information on the subject.

SpaceCadet

Quiet Reader
I believe that the masterful Paradise of the Blind by Duong Thu Huong was first published in the United States, in English translation, because it was banned from publication in Vietnam. However, I can't remember if I am confused, or if I read some conflicting information on the subject.
I'd say you read conflicting information... It's not all that clear but...if that can be of any help...

Her bio as stated on the English Wiki page as well as the page dedicated to Paradise of the Blind as well as her bio on the Pen America web site seems to confirm that Paradise of the Blind would have first been published in her native tongue in 1988. The French translation would have been published in 1991 and the English one in 1993.