Olga Tokarczuk

Daniel del Real

Despite I've only read Primeval & Other Times, I can tell she is a superb writer that needs to be translated more. Books of Jakub will take some time for translation due to its length, but I don't think we've seen translation for Runners, the other one of her novels that won the Nike Award.
She will be at Guadalajara early December presenting the Spanish translation of her novel Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead. I'll be really glad to finally meet her.

garzuit

Former Member
I really enjoyed Drive Your Plow over the Bones of the Dead, which was published after Flight, so I'll look for this one too.

D

Deleted member 83959

Next year we are going to have two Noble Prizes in Literature. Is she going to get one of them?

They were almost certainly looking into her given how many books were checked out at one point. I'd say this helps her chances.

I suppose if they really want to seem progressive they could go for her and Anne Carson

As far as I remember The Books of Jacob will appear in English in August next year. It will surely increase her chances for the prize.

redhead

Blahblahblah
I suppose if they really want to seem progressive they could go for her and Anne Carson

Well in that case neither will win ;)

And that's exciting about The Books of Jacob, I remember reading a bunch of articles when it first came out in Poland and it seemed like the kind of fiction I rush to the store to get

Some observations on the impact of international prizes.

https://prachatai.com/journal/2018/05/77187

This is a long article on Olga Tokarczuk from Thailand, probably the first time she's getting recognition in this language. I've seen similar texts in many other local languages. In many countries translations of her books were announced (including 3 new translations into English).

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Olga Tokarczuk has today been named laureate of the Nobel Prize in Literature for 2018 "for a narrative imagination that with encyclopedic passion represents the crossing of boundaries as a form of life."

Discussion here.

Elie

Reader
I really hope some of her other novels will find English-language publishers now. I know Books of Jacob is due from Fitzcarraldo Editions in 2021 (!) but she's so prolific in Polish (and many other languages by the sounds of it) compared to what is available in English. Got a couple of events coming up with publishing/translating types in London so will see if I can quiz anyone!

hoodoo

Reader
I'm about 40 pages into Flights and I've been enjoying it tremendously. I'm looking forward to reading some more!

Liam

Administrator
Tokarczuk's novel Bieguni as an audiobook. I can understand basic Polish, but this is WAY too literary for me to follow with any degree of comfort. Still, it is nice to hear the Polish language enunciated clearly and lucidly by a talented team of audiobook readers.

Bartleby

Jennifer Croft’s written an article on the surface about translating The Books of Jacob, but ends up covering some things more. The interesting thing about it, together with some info on what the novel covers, and her calling the book unquestionably Tokarczuk’s masterpiece, is that she finished the translation of it on 12 January (her actual deadline was 31 December 2019). How long the editing process is! For the book won’t come out until March 2021. I wasn’t aware of the time it took in delivering a book.