Olga Tokarczuk

Bartleby

I am giving her one more chance with Primeval & Other Times.
You shouldn’t be disappointed with it. I remember reading somewhere, probably here, that Tokarczuk think of it as just part of her juvenilia; and I can see that, and take that to mean it could have been deeper, more structurally complex, just more; but it’s fine as it is, her storytelling abilities are blooming here, I couldn’t think of a read more gripping.

now I can see them taking some time in releasing her earlier works; from reading about them, they seem really weak, compared to what’s come after — her really indispensable books seem to be Primeval; House of Day, House of Night; Flights; and The Books of Jacob. (Having said that, I’m very eager to read her Bizarre Stories, they seem to be quite insightful, as well as both disquieting and disarming, if perhaps not altogether great)

And I can easily see her growing even bigger as a writer with subsequent releases. She seems to possess this potential, to only grow, not wane.

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

Good news for us Spanish Bois!

Anagrama is about to publish Primeval and Other Times (translated as Un lugar llamado Antaño).
That's correct, good news. Translation is not new, it's the same one published years ago by Lumen. Not sure how good it is as I read this title in English but at least I'm reliefed they're not hurrying the translator to take advantage of Olga's "Nobel Year".

Bartleby

Does anyone know whether Fitzcarraldo owns the rights to all of her works? It would be nice if in the meantime some shorter book of Tokarczuk’s were to appear.

hayden

Oh, it appears that the publication in English of The Books of Jacob has been pushed back one year! to March 2022 :(

Ah well. Bit surprised... out of all the things to be delayed this year, I didn't think literary translations would be one of them. It is quite the brick of a book though.

I've read three books by Tokarczuk, and I enjoyed them all quite a bit, but I feel like I still need to dive deeper into her bibliography to truly gauge if she deserved the Nobel. Looking forward to some other translations of hers in the future too. Most of her works remains only in Polish...

errequatro

Reader
She has just published another book: "Czuły narrator", something like: "Sensitive Narrator".
It is not a novel, but rather reflections on writing. Can't wait to either being able to read her in the original or to wait for everything by her to be translated. Don't know which will be first.

Liam

Administrator
It is not a novel, but rather reflections on writing.
This is actually one of my favorite genres: reflections (specifically by writers) on the craft of writing. Do we feel like we need a separate thread devoted to that subject? :)

Bartleby

Oh, it appears that the publication in English of The Books of Jacob has been pushed back one year! to March 2022 :(
Apparently there’s an official date of publication now, and it’s this year’s November (the US release is set for 2022’s February) :D

Bartleby

The cover for the American edition of The Books of Jacob (coming out in February 2022) has been revealed:

9C39B73F-40B4-4F5C-A1E4-22D013577FE5.jpeg

In the meantime, the Fitzcarraldo edition is coming out in just about a month (15 Nov).