Paulo Coelho: The Alchemist

Miriam

Reader
I understand. Now I take the neutral position, I've read few his books. Mmm... some ideas are not bad, more than that, ideas of some books are quite ok. Speaking about books... I was a teenager, when I read them, but at whole I liked just one book: "The Devil and Miss Prym" Now, as a philologist, I prefer to take neutral position as some ideas, as I've told. I see nothing bad in books, but I see nothing very exciting

If you're reading it in English, you may have an extra bonus: friends have told me his translators greatly improve the quality of his prose, which is atrocious in Portuguese.

Unfourtunely, Paulo's Portuguese isn't as good as it should be.
In Brazil, Paulo is never read in schools and the teachers say "Paulo Coelho cannot be considered literature".

SlowRain

Reader
Bjorn, I agree with your short version, however I was so underwhelmed by this novel that I can't even be bothered to read your long version nor the rest of the comments in this thread. (And it's perfectly okay if people are also equally underwhelmed to even bother reading my comments.)

I don't necessarily disagree with what Coelho wrote, I just hate that it was a two-page fable stretched out to about two hundred. He has a very bland writing style.

edyta

Reader
I was traveling in Central America this summer. I met a group of young (22-24 years old) women from Great Britain. One of them had a tattoo, an arabic writing on her ankle. It was a quote from The Alchemist. something about the universe giving you what you ask for. I wept.

I read The Alchemist, but wasn't much impressed. I thought I gave him another chance by reading The Witch of Portobello which I did not even finish. The Witch of Portobello started well with descriptions of a woman by various people and their impressions on her. It tanked with some sort of cult-like dance obsession. I gave up on him.

Daniel del Real

I was traveling in Central America this summer. I met a group of young (22-24 years old) women from Great Britain. One of them had a tattoo, an arabic writing on her ankle. It was a quote from The Alchemist. something about the universe giving you what you ask for. I wept.

Time to quote Conrad,
"The Horror, the horror"

G

gumbowriters

I would say its like watching back to back 6 Matrix films.

Victor Pomp

If you're reading it in English, you may have an extra bonus: friends have told me his translators greatly improve the quality of his prose, which is atrocious in Portuguese.

Yeah. We say, here in Brazil, that his wide acceptance over the world is completely due to his translators, who take a lot of time making the book readable. Here, he is not only considered to be a bad writer, but, reading his originals, we can even find out his complete lack of dominance over his own language.

Yeah. We say, here in Brazil, that his wide acceptance over the world is completely due to his translators, who take a lot of time making the book readable. Here, he is not only considered to be a bad writer, but, reading his originals, we can even find out his complete lack of dominance over his own language.

Victor, you're completely right. I read "The Alchimist" years ago and I've found many Portuguese mistakes in Coelho's book. If we talk about quality Coelho is not one of best writters, however if we talk about how many people - around the world - read his book... it'd be amazing. In literature class on school, we don't learn about Paulo Coelho work.

DouglasM

Reader
Paulo Coelho is worse than kidney stones.

Yes, I have nothing to add to the thread that hasn't been said before. His translators perform miracles.

Last edited:

peter_d

Reader
It's facinating that people here put so much energy in Paulo Coelho-bashing. What usually happens with writers who are really terribly brutally bad (as is suggested by some people here) is that they are completely neglected. He must have been doing at least s?mething right... judging from his popularity.

Hard for me to give any judgements though. I only read one of his books, Veronica decides to die. And I hardly dare say it, but... I didn't even dislike it all that much. At least not as much as I should have perhaps.

I can't speak for the others and like you i read only one of his books, his "masterpiece " the achemist, but what bothered me was the pseudo intellectual mystical or more to the point like Bjorn said, undercover self help book.
I respect honest crap and read a lot of it, but love too much good literature to have any indugence for frauds.
And Paulo is the leader of them all, a least we can grant his that.

lenz

Reader
Can't people tell books by their covers anymore? It's those gooey "spiritual" sunset colours and the promise that only a liar would make: that it will "change your life."